1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Technology within Andares

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GregorStavik, Jun 21, 2015.

1. GregorStavik

GregorStavik New Member

So had my first RP and to my dismay I was using technology is restricted. What tech is considered too OP and what tech may be a gradual acceptance within role play reasons?

I'm currently researching the personality of Nova to better develop my character. Already I have declared my character as a technophile scrap trader. but I wish to discuss certain aspects of my back story I have been pondering for stability of personality and to better work with my goal.

2. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Really none of the in-game techs are IC. They're more of an OOC way to get around. Technology in general however, I don't exactly know what would be the limit but we have plasma based weapons so take that as you will.

3. GregorStavik

GregorStavik New Member

My basic wants was to be allowed to use the matter manipulator and FTL dash. Basic concerns IC'ly with the MM would be where dose the stuff go? I would reply with digital deconstruction and reconstruction. The aquire of the FTL dash and how it works I would have to think over. But I play as a nova so internal organ damage is not an issue with the sudden start and go i would think.

4. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

As a general rule, In-game mechanics does not equal RP mechanics. Typically, techs are not allowed to be used ICly unless you have a really really good reason for having it that is either authorized by the admins or well explained through IC backstory developed. An example would be the rocket boots which could be explained through the creation of a jetpack. But then you'd have to go into how one wold invent said jetpack and all of that. Overall, the use of techs is a bad idea because every player would have different opinion on the matter so much that it would become confusing. So techs are not used by most members.

As for the matter manipulator. Again, in-game mechanics do not equal RP mechanics. I have actually not seen the matter manipulator used in an RP setting, but I would avoid its use. It's hard to explain really. Especially if it was used for means other than building.

Basically, RP works differently and in-game features like the matter manipulator and techs are questionable and can lead to issues.

5. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I am certainly not an authority on the subject, but in the past I have found that you can get away with varying degrees of technologically advanced equipment, so long as it does not change what people are expecting of roleplay. So while a lot of players tend to use guns loaded with good old fashioned bullets, some players might choose the plasma or laser alternatives. At the end of the day though, it all boils down to the same thing. It kills you.

If you were a tech scrapper, you would more likely have access to a lot of ship pieces, or engines. Players have a tendency to use "PDAs". These are obviously not PDAs from the 90's, and instead represent effectively what would be a tablet computer as a digital data assistant. You might have access to a lot of these as well. It is also widely accepted that there are Artificial Intelligence cores in Antares, in the form of onboard navigation for ships, Glitch (And sometimes other similar characters), and I have also seen players interact with person A.I's. Having a lot of these at your disposal is also acceptable science fiction gobblygook to collect. Those are just a few examples, but whatever you pick, try to have a focus. Don't try to do everything at once. And if you have any questions, Ask, ask, ask. No one will judge.

But ultimately, so long as you do not introduce anything that will upset the natural flow of roleplay, and you are not trying to collect and sit on buttloads of power, you should be fine.

6. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

FTL Boost would go hand in hand with the blink tech not being an IC thing. Or was that rule removed? Either way I mean If you can find a good reason and clear it with the staff... *shrug*. Matter manipulator I have no problem so long as you don't use it to actually collect materials in the amount of time ingame. It should take hours to compress materials like that. I mean, if it is possible. I'm no science person so again *shrug*. Basically just clear it all with the staff.

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I tend to use the matter manipulator as a half life 2 gravity gun, able to lift a single object at a time that is heavier than a human could normally carry.

I don't see why the dash tech, or other techs other than blink shouldn't be allowed.

Blink and vehicle techs, are far too OP, but a dash tech would certainly make melee more viable, if you could dart towards your opponent and slash them with your high tech laser sword. Dash tech has a cool down period now anyway, do it's not like you can dart all over the place, just make a single short, dash forward faster than would be humanly possible.

Rocket boots can be just that, rocket boots...