1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Suggestions on improving builds/creating better structures?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by QuestionableMotives, Jan 10, 2015.

1. QuestionableMotives

QuestionableMotives Not To Be Trusted

I see all these super fantastic amazing buildings on all the colonies, and I really love the way buildings in Starbound look. However, whenever I try to do it (and im sure im not alone here), it always comes out somewhat dissapointing. I was wondering if any of you builders out there could give some tips and stuff, It'd be a great help. Thanks :D

2. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

well
    I get the same feeling sometimes

but what I can really tell you is to reference pictures (although that doesn't really work in some cases)
    use asymmetry to make buildings look less copy pasted and boring
    try to use a theme and design
    https://pixeltuts.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/pixel-art-tutorials-circle-beginner/
    that should help with making curves and circles to make buildings look more nifty
    think about things logically (what does a building need to function?)

3. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

Try building stuff whilst using a reference image, that usually helps a lot. Just googling whatever theme you want to base your building off of usually does the trick.

4. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

it's hard in a 2d environment to reference pictures
    only sometimes though