1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Strenght of a spawned guard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by White, Feb 17, 2014.

1. White

White The Guy who is always working.

Anyone know how hard and how much damaged a spawned guard can take against per say the usual run of the mill rper with impervium armor and a lvl 10 gun?

2. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

They get one shot.

3. White

....oh joy, so they don't level up based on the sector, so in X sector they stand a chance?.

hmm, does any modder know is modding in new spawners would cause errors for people without the mod? is npc considered a auto generated temporary item, that contains its own information, or would they like a weapon cause a error as they don't have data on that particularly npc?

4. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I am unaware if the scale by sector. And while I understand the use of using npcs as stand ins for roles, they like many other things have several flaws, specificly with their AI that makes them less then ideal for their intended role. It is possible to mess with them, but be aware anything you do along those lines you are going to be accountable for. That includes server errors, player deaths, and possible use for griefing. Consider that before you decide to open that door.

5. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

I know turret's don't scale with sector, but I think NPCs might. It's worth testing.

6. White

I tested, they do scale. while not "mighty" they can be used for defense in per say X-sector vs players.

Turrets however, is completely worthless.

edit: only issue is guard spawns are completely random race and weapons. often more than not they get a meele weapon, all 3 tests i did spawned meele guards.

7. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

This is excellent news. Place 1 NPC among them and attack it to aggro the guards. You got yourself an NPC enemy.

8. White

you need only shoot 1 of the guards to aggro them, all the guards will aggro, player spawned guards do not care if you kill other npcs, only will turn hostile on the player if "he" attacks them, their faction is different from the other spawned npcs, am curious if i shoot your npc, if my npc will fight yours, or their sort of a own guard faction.

9. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

The possibilities are endless. If you're doing testing right now, I'll happily hop in game to see what kid of behaviours the npc's have. If we can make NPC's fight NPC's, we can finally solve our faction v faction problem.

10. White

Yus, let's try that out tacc, I am writeing a draft for a warzone thread to get some pvp going in X-sector (only) if folks like the idea and rules. i can definately see Carroli corporation making claims in the X-sector to conduct mining and resource gathering.

Honestly when -finally- server side characters are implemented, i hope its implemented, and we're given a way to purchase blocks with pixels or so (for builders) while still making resource gathering a point :p

send a party invite to "Zeke"

11. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Also, I think with the modpack we could actually create custom NPC's that aren't too disruptive. They would require testing of course, but if they only use vanilla assets, they could work out well. I imagine the NPC's draw from a dialogue, species, and item pool to determine at random what the NPC will be. It's already been proven that coloured items are vanilla friendly, and you can alter "identify" dialogue (when you use magnifying glass on people) without any error. The only part where it could get sketchy would be placing a spawner, as I'm unsure if even you use a vanilla item as the placeable object, it would still have to be inserted into the game as a new asset. Like USCM Guard, Darkstar Merc, PDF Spectre etc etc. It's definitely something we should look into.

12. White

Sadly it appears all Guards (spawned guards) are put into the same faction, thou they do recognize existent npcs are a different faction i believe. They wont hate you for killing one of their guards on another planet or out of their view, so people can have guards on "their base" without their own guards back home becoming hostile. but they all share faction pool, or rather they respond to all attacks in a equal fashion. thus they cannot differate between their placer and another, i attacked another players spawn and my own would regardless attack me to help him.

edit: did not test how they react to attack against another player.
    tested pvp didn't work in the x-sector thus couldn'tpreform the last test.

#12 White, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014