1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Starnet just add lisp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deadkool-aid, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

I noticed some people use their races accent (lisp and stating intent before sentences) so i assume people are speaking into microphones which are then formatted to text and posted on starnet, would this assumption be correct?

2. Shinki

Shinki New Member

Well, it's more of a personal preference. Many people roleplay it as that, others treat it as a forum in which they type their messages. However, in character journals, advertisements, and the general market, it's less of a forum and more of, well, an internet. For example, my character Septimus uses a holographic recorder for his journals and a similar file on his forum posts.

OOCly, it's for making the characters more alive and personal. For example, one may portray a character better by adding lisps, such as adding "ssss" when roleplaying a floran, or a statement of emotion before saying something as a Glitch. It increases RP accuracy, and makes it more like RPing in the server.

3. skipi

skipi New Member

The only race where I find accents in forum dialogue acceptable is Glitch. Australians don't "tolk loik thes" in text, but they do say "mate".

4. Animator

Animator New Member

It's the dissonance of the medium expressing the roleplay itself. Simply put, roleplayers in Starbound type out their responses. In Starnet, it's your characters doing that ICly, which causes wires to cross easily: People who have a given way of typing out accents in Starbound end up doing it with their character ICly even though it doesn't transfer like that in real life.

Pretty minor in my book.

5. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Whenever Crowliss uses speech-to-text, I put...
    [Speech-To-Text Program]
    Whenever he uploads a sound-byte of him talking or commenting on something, I put...
    [Sound-File Found]
    [Playing...]
    Hsssssssss
    [Stopping...]

I think other players should do the same, just to prevent OOC confusion.

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Treeio Florstab wrote with a lisp...