1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Starcheat Replacement?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alaystus, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

Dear citizens of the galaxy,

I have discovered something! There is an online tool, similar to SBSE* in the way that it allows you to directly modify your player file called StarReader. Now, I'm not sure if anyone's found this, but I haven't heard anything about it so far, and when people ask how to change descriptions or item functions, the immediate answer is always, "Starcheat." HOWEVER, once I looked up Starcheat and realized it would require me to... "Put it together" so to speak, I figured I'd just look for something else. And lo and behold, there it was, StarReader. It has the same functionality to a degree, however I can't be sure because I haven't actually used Starcheat. At it's basics, it allows you to change your player description and/or name, your base stats, your pixel count, and your item count as well as import and export items using code. The site is still in beta, though, so It probably has a few bugs. As always, make a backup before using it. A known bug that I found is that when changing your description, using the 'apostrophe' or "quotation marks" causes the system to put in a backslash either before or after the symbol, (I can't remember which) causing it to look something like this; \'apostrophe\' or \"quotation marks\". Also, there may be a bug when using the import/export item function, when I tried to copy an item into another slot. It might just be something I did wrong, but I'm not sure.
    The bottom line is, that for those of you who don't want to, don't know how to, or can't get Starcheat, here is a cool alternative for you! Here is a link;
    http://www.starreader.net/
    *SBSE, or Star Bound Save Editor allows you to change the physical features and color aspects of your character and it's currently equipped visible clothing. Here's a link to that too;
    http://sbse.hyunsdojo.com/

Sincerely,
    Alaystus

2. Sen

Sen Guest

pls dont use white text
    some people use the default forum theme you know, which has a white background

3. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

starcheat is mainly used for item modification, which starrreader can't do, so it can't really be a straight-up replacement

most of us have also, uh, known about starreader for a while... this is good for the lucky 10,000 tho

4. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

I just re-build starcheat from source, since the source is provided. Last update to the code was 5 days ago.

5. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

StarReader is to Java as Starcheat is to Binary.

Easier to use, maybe, but not providing the same amount of depth as the other one. I use starcheat, because once you figure out all the kinks, its alot more helpful, and you can do pretty much everything you would need.

6. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

Starcheat is written in python...

7. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

It was a simile. I know. Tried to compare the simplicities of each to the programming language...

8. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

Aight, I just thought it was useful to know. I didn't know who knew about it, or if anyone knew about it. I suppose it's more of an alternate option for basic character modification rather than a replacement. Sorry to those who know more about it than I do.