1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Soldier 000's Log

Discussion in 'Character Journals' started by Optimism, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimism

Optimism Guest

ID Designation:
    Soldier 000
    Signing On:
    0400 Hours
    The drop onto this settlement of New Chicago was not interrupted by any hostilities, though the civilian population seem to be on edge. I have been trying to make contact with a USCM signal or personnel member for months now, but am aware that my communications gear is out of date, and the signal has likely been terminated to prevent obsolete technology from being captured and used against us. I noted an unusual number of odd fauna and wildlife mingling with the civilians on this planet, and am uncertain if their presence has any significance. Flash training was always sparse at best when covering civilian and environmental relations. I was put in a combat situation when I entered a local alcohol sales business and refused to remove my helmet when told by an unknown subject, likely a thug. When I refused to go along with a policy without proper establishment of its legitimacy he took me to his assumed CO at my request where they tried to intimidate me with a primitive weapon, while they still refused to establish their policy as proper civil law. I was prepared to defend myself against these unknown hostiles to the point of extermination if necessary but a security officer intervened and requested I defer to the policy. I complied immediately with the orders of a superior. The army that loses its discipline loses its efficiency. This therapy exercise is nearly over, so I will summarize the rest.

My objective to make contact with the USCM has not succeeded, so for now I am on my own, and must follow the five essential P's in order to survive in a new environment with no intel, squad members, or equipment. I need to determine if these unknown species of wildlife and fauna are a threat; "Know your enemy" remains as true as it ever was. Perhaps I should attempt to coerce an answer from the local population. Flash training didn't effectively cover civilian interaction, but my objective must be completed.
    Signing off:
    0410 Hours

#1 Optimism, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. Optimism

Optimism Guest

ID Designation:
    Soldier 000
    Signing On:
    2305 Hours
    To begin this exercise, I would like to reiterate the success of some of my secondary objectives mentioned in the prior entry. I have successfully identified the names of two new species rather similar to my own, as well as the places where they would be fired upon for maximum effectiveness. I've logged a crude categorization below for turnover to USCM operatives when I re-establish contact, which brings me back to the still uncompleted objective.

A security officer on the colony of New Chicago informed me that there were no active USCM elements nearby that he was aware of, which was extremely disturbing. During my last deployment on Earth, a state of martial law had been declared for as long as was deemed necessary by higher authority in order to properly account for the populace, evacuate existing combat elements, and re-establish the old Earth government in a new sector. The lack of USCM presence means that the founders of this settlement were either unaccounted for and evacuated without supervision or that the USCM failed their objective. This is a negative discovery, as it means the USCM may have suffered larger casualties than within my scope of knowledge, or perhaps the colony was populated by insurgents. In any situation, I must be on my guard. The officer mentioned that a colony by name of Taranis might offer superior intelligence on possible USCM activity. I will also make the upgrading of my equipment to modern standards a priority, and if I confirm that these human colonies are made up of insurgents, it would not be unacceptable to seize armaments and adequate armor from them.

As before, I must follow the five P's: Proper Planning Prevents Pitiful Performance, and I will further identify potential new hostile species and their weak points so I may maintain a contingency plan should I need to eliminate any of them in the future. I am still on my own for now.

Species 001 (INCOMPLETE):
    Hylotyl
    Description:
    Likely aquatic environment evolved bipeds who were or became mammals.
    Elimination Target:
    The head or the theoretical cardiac triangle.

Species 002 (INCOMPLETE):
    Avian
    Description:
    Unusual feathered but seemingly wingless and flightless bipeds. Sample I saw looked lighter than the average member of my own species, but this may have been coincidence.
    Elimination Target:
    The head or the theoretical cardiac triangle.

Signing off:
    2316 Hours

Footnote:
    Went one minute over the designated time for this exercise. Disciplined time management will be re-established.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.