1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

SBSE - Easy Player and Armor Coloring Without Mods (0.10.0 RELEASED - Pleased Giraffe supported)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phaze, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

[​IMG]
    Update 09/21/14
    SBSE Desktop Beta is now available for download at: Dropbox Link - Temporary
    How To Use
    To use SBSE, simply click the banner above or visit SBSE. From there, you can click on the circle button to select your player file OR you can drag your player file onto the circle button to start the upload. Once your file is processed, you'll see an interface for changing colors.

Simply select the color picker for the part of your player that you want to colorize, move the color slider around to what you would like, then save your changes. An edited .player file will be downloaded upon saving, and you only need to replace your original player file for the changes to appear in game.
    About
    SBSE is currently a web-based visual player customizer. By default, Starbound currently has no dyeing system, and any colors for your body and hair are chosen once when you make your player and cannot be changed again. With SBSE you can modify the in-game color options for your player and armor at any time, and with any colors you choose.

SBSE lets you break out of the standard game's color options and be as creative as you want to be while still using the vanilla game, so you can take your customization online and other players will still be able to see them. SBSE does not rely on mods or hacks to work - it uses Starbound's own coloring system (known as color directives) to replace colors on anything from your skin to the armor on your body.

This thread serves as an official location for updates regarding SBSE, as well as any bug reports or feedback you have. I will do my best to keep it updated and respond to any issues people are having, though keep in mind that the web version is soon to be replaced by a much better desktop version.

Feel free to make feature requests and I'll do my best to implement them if they're reasonable (or possible). Please keep in mind that I work full time and SBSE is a hobby project, so I don't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to it. I work on it mostly on weekends and sometimes at night when I have a few hours to spare, so development or updates may not come as fast as some would like.

I am also not asking for any kind of donation or monetary support for SBSE, it will always be free and you shouldn't feel obligated (or guilty) to do so. However, because I still sometimes get asked, you can tip me through paypal if you really want to, which can help pay for morning coffee and such. Though, I would prefer it if you'd donate to PlayStarboundRP instead.

Version Information
    SBSE currently works with Starbound v. Furious Koala and up (including Enraged Koala). Previous save files will not be recognized.

#1 Phaze, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  2. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Mush love.

I have to wonder, is it possible to unlock hair types of head mod types of one race for another?

Example:
    Hylotl with human hair
    Floran With Glitch head bits.
    Human with Floran petals (hair)
    or Human with Apex beard :O

Just wondering.

3. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

I have to say that this is easily one of the most useful tools I've been using since I discovered it. The color customization is just too good.
    [​IMG]
    I have to ask, though, from what I've seen, there are parts of armors that cannot be changed. Specifically, I've been trying to figure out how to change the color of the eyes on various Glitch armors like above. It's the same w/ the plume on the Legionnaire helmet. Am I just dumb or is there really no way to change those?

4. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

No way to actually change those colours. At least not with that editor. Though, I'm unaware of any other editor that could do that. Mainly because I believe those colours just straight up can't be changed.

5. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

Weird. I wonder why? They must be tied to something completely separate from the colors of the armor itself. Or not, I don't know how vidya works.

6. Trite

Trite New Member

Are you sure you can't change it? I've edited every single color in Halogen's armor without a problem. I'm pretty confident I could edit the plume if you tell me what colors you want and upload your player file.

7. SirFruitcakes

SirFruitcakes New Member

I know little about this myself, was just drawing from past experiences on other games, ignore my post really.

8. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

It's fine, I've since colored the outfit/cape to match the plume and I'm satisfied, I just initially wanted to change the eye color to something not-red, like yellow.

9. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

If it's a visible color on the model it can be changed pretty easily. Just need to find the color code for the pixels in question and add another section in the advanced editing to swap the colors. I'm pretty sure the only thing you'd need another editor for is locating the actual colors of armors with transparent layers.

10. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Twitch is right. If there's a color visible, it can be changed using advanced mode. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you talk about armors with transparent layers, the game works by stacking sprites so every armor has some transparent part to it, but I don't know any that have a layer that's completely transparent.

11. Trite

Trite New Member

Think of the orange part of the visor in the blue Hylotl set. Or visors in general really. It can be hard to edit those parts since the sample you see is set to be slightly transparent and you can't just eyedrop the actual color to replace.

12. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

Is the ability to recolor weapons going to be implemented into the editor? I've heard here and there that recoloring weapons is possible.

13. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Oh I wasn't even aware any armor had opaque elements. Usually the hex code for a color with an alpha channel is RGBA or ARGB. I'm not entirely sure if Starbound's directives system supports the alpha channel, I've never seen any existing items use it, though it would be a neat experiment to find out. Hypothetically you could do it in advanced mode just by adding the extra hex for alpha.

14. Sen

Sen Guest

There is the ?fade directive.

I think the syntax is something along the lines of: ?fade=FFFFFF=0.15

15. Izzida

Izzida New Member

I'd like to make a comment of a problem I've had with this. I had to look it up on a forum for SBSE but it looks like right now it's not compatible for those of us running OS X but that should be fixed with the desktop version. I'm sure I'm not the only one. You'll get something like "player is not an allowed file extension." when trying to drag your player file in, or select it.

At least that's what I was able to find out with a bit of digging.

16. Kazi

Kazi New Member

Ummm... I am just going to ask I guess, as I keep seeing mods pop up, but is there a way to flag mods as either being approved for server use or not approved.

17. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Seems a tiny bit off topic, as this is a topic based around SBSE. However, I'm unsure about that. I know that the Customizeable Ships is still allowed, or at least the main server page shows such, and people are still posting up their creations on here. As for other mods, I dunno. Might want to move it to another thread, though, to prevent this one from going too far off topic. :)

18. Kazi

Kazi New Member

I just had wanted to know if this was able to be used.... it seems like players are using is but there is no mention if it was approved for use or not. I wouldn't mind adding a little extra color to my characters too. But you are right it is a little off topic so I will also start a thread about tagging all the mods.

19. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

This is technically not a mod. It is supported by the players and us of the staff. Heck, we even gave the creator a custom banner for his time and support.

if you have a question about supported mods, or wish to check if one is supported, pm staff.

20. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

i like this idea
    and if it's not possible, is it at least possible for wearing the other sex's species' hairstyles?
    like, a female human with male human hair.