1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Rules Revision Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

So, I accidentally deleted the old version of this thread. Sorry!
    Anyway, this thread is for those who want to discuss the recent revisions without having to go through the Moderation Queue.
    I'm interested to receive feedback. I'll answer any questions you might have, too.

2. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Banning of rocket launchers seems like its a bit much. What's the basis for such a decision?

"5) Work It Out Beforehand
    Whenever possible, decide how a fight will go down before it actually happens. Since fights have to be roleplayed out, things can get a little confusing without an impartial deciding system, such as dice. Since both parties are innately biased when trying to roleplay a fight on the fly, a mediator should be present. If a Staff member is unavailable, then the fight should be postponed until a Staff member can oversee it. "

Many players don't enjoy planning out events prior to their rp, preferring instead to allow things to flow naturally. This restricts their ability to do so, as it requires them to grab a moderator before proceeding with any combat rp that doesn't already have its end determined. Perhaps we should just keep things how they were. Where all parties involved attempt to be mature and work things out to let the rp progress fluidly, without /REQUIRING/ prior planning or mod involvement. Calling in a moderator should only be a last resort I feel.

"4) Overused Backgrounds
    The following backstory elements aren't permitted: young orphan, sole survivor of genocide, attacked by [race], escaped on ship at young age, and prodigial child. "

While I'm all for diversity in character backstory, these restrictions just seem arbitrary. There have been destructions of two homeworlds of major races within the last few decades in the lore. This /WOULD/ leave many young orphans, who, with nowhere else to go. Could end up on a frontier. The attacked by [race] concerns me as well, especially when we have Florans abound. Who are known for attacking all organic races and either killing or running them off from their homes.

"4) Thieving is PvP
    PvP Rules apply to thieving. You must either make your intent known, or get permission beforehand. Robbery, armed or otherwise, has it's own rule. You can attempt to rob someone without their prior knowledge, but harming their character falls under standard PvP rules."

This seems to open a can of worms. Say you do in fact rob someone without their prior knowledge (( As I believe you should be able to )) and they attempt to 'be a hero.' How do PvP rules apply there? Are you free to gun them down in self defense? Must you then seek OOC permission before punishing their character for their poor decision?

These are really just my initial concerns/questions and I thank whoever takes the time to brush them over.​

3. Edward_Norton

Edward_Norton New Member

I feel like Novakids don't make sense in general

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Rocket Launchers rarely have an IC use. Their most common usage is to kill other players. I may be releasing a tweak that'll re-allow them to be used ICly again by nullifying their player damage.

Combat may be initiated without a Moderator. It's encouraged to have a Moderator present when things break down between parties.

This was done because too many applications are using these backgrounds and some diversity would be nice. It may be altered/lifted at a later date.

They would have to state their intent OOCly prior to engaging in any hostile retaliatory action and offer you a chance to leave unscathed, perhaps even under the condition of returning the goods stolen from them. In this scenario, they become the aggressor. Whoever starts violence first is the aggressor. Robbery doesn't necessarily require violence. You can stick a knife to someone's throat, but unless you have intent to harm, you don't need to notify OOCly. It's only if you plan to commit to harm that PvP rules apply.​

5. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

While that's true, some occasional OOC player killing (which is also hella rare) Is enough to justify BANNING an entire category of weaponry IC? What.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Until they're nerfed, yes. They should be fixed very soon after the update.

7. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

(reposted from old thread, unless I read something wrong and I am being dumb now sorry if that is it)

Normally I would say that a lot of these rules restrict development and remove some deep and interesting themes from the RP, and would ask that the rules are made to be less restrictive as soon as possible.

However.

In all likelihood the update will bring a massive influx of inexperienced players, who have no idea what to do, and will disrupt RP without firm guidance and instruction. So I won't be bothered for now, but I certainly hope things become less restrictive once the new wave of people gets some RP experience under their collective belt. Until then I'll be fine with this.

EDIT: I am mostly ok with conflict changes though. I especially like the dice idea.

#7 Donovennn, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  8. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

I approve, for the most part. I'll nitpick later, but the conflict changes particularly am I in approval of.

9. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Pssh, with all the Starcheat shit we got going around, what scrubs use rocket-launchers to kill other players anymore?

10. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

^This is why we can't have nice things... :(
    Killing people with RPG's is just griefing, but i'm kinda sad about removing the entire "mage-esque" skill tree from the in-game universe... Starwars has the force, WH40 has psykers and the warp, we have glitch demons, eye tentacle monsters and some ancients forms of highly advanced tech that "look" like magic, but somehow that's a problem?

I hope this is temporary... You could just y'know, try to balance the staves RP-wise...

11. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

What about pickpocketing? It's non-violent, but would the guy be able to just turn around and shoot the pickpocketer in the face?

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Pickpocketing is thievery and requires permission first. Since this isn't D&D and we don't have systems to keep things balanced (to a degree), we have to rely on being fair to each other OOCly and cooperating to tell a story together.
    It is. I have plans to nerf both staves and rocket launchers in the code.

13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Aren't staves good as is? I mean, they take a lot of energy to use, and the armour set that provides the energy is fragile; meaning that you have a character with burst damage, but who is fairly fragile. A glass canon so to say... If we'd make it so that the different types of armour require energy to operate them, e.g. heavy armour needs energy because it's very "heavy" in order to be able to move properly, same for medium, but less and even less for the light armour, this makes it so the light and medium armour have more energy available to power their weapons. Also, you require to stand still and have field of vision of your targets with staves.

14. Optimism

Optimism Guest

Why is it necessary to ask permission before pickpocketing someone? I don't particularly like that idea.

15. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Why do their game mechanics matter in regards to the RP.

16. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

How would you pickpocket someone without permission? Success without the other player allowing it is godmoding. If the player does allow it, you as a thief need to know what you would get from the player you are stealing from.

17. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

And why not? The only reason NOT to tell someone is so that they won't react to it. But if they can't react to it, immediately or otherwise, than you're pretty much screwing them over. And/or simply looking for a clever way to inflate pixel wealth. It is a type of conflict, or has the potential to lead to conflict. Either way. It is important that both parties are aware OOC.

Otherwise it is just playing to win.

18. Optimism

Optimism Guest

That's not the point, and of course you should be able to pickpocket without permission, if you don't claim success.

It certainly isn't playing to win. It's taking an action that involves another character, then allowing them to proceed how they'd like. It doesn't remove power from either.

Example: Man A reaches his hand out as Man B passes by, attempting to possibly remove an item from his left pocket.

The subject of the attempt (Man B) can choose whether it's successful or not, and if they get anything at all.

Power gaming… what?

19. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Using that logic, you're still asking permission, just in an In-Character way. What I thought you meant was, picking someone's pocket without informing them at all, and walking away.

20. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

In most all situations, general roleplay attempts solve most all issues. Its when casual roleplay breaks down and their are either bigger stakes, or people that dislike one another when these things become the absolute letter of the law.

Bottom line is, don't worry about things before they become a problem. That goes for players and staff alike. No reason to police what hasn't happened yet and may never happen.