1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Right. Cloaking.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ButtonMash, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ButtonMash

ButtonMash New Member

Just making sure to "Clear it with staff", But One of my characters has Cloaking. I feel I should emphasize that. It's a very light "Cloak". When moving, He glistens very noticibly, When moving, He's translucent, and when attacking, he's fully visible.
    The cloak is based on light bending around the subject due to a substance he's bathed in interacting with a substance delivered intravenously. Due to this, Any sort of concentrated light, (Flashlight, Muzzle flash, light fixture[Reguardless of firelight or artificial.]) or any sort of heavy winds, Bleeding, bumping into people, or water cause the function to fail, without use untill the substance on the skin and armor is reapplied again. And last but not least, The character can make noise. Breathing, Footsteps, Flatulence, The works.

So, Admins, people with the "final say", What do you think about this unique ability?
    Too OP?
    Mary sue?
    Discuss.

2. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Were you the one who turned into thin air in front of a Marshal?

3. Sen

Sen Guest

Stop using the ringofpower augment.

4. ButtonMash

ButtonMash New Member

Yes.
    What? lol.

5. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

LOTR reference.

6. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

Invisibility. What do you think?

7. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Just a roleplayer getting his two cents in, as long as their is way for the ability to fall short, seems alright.... you seem to be going in the right direction when your character's cloaking is weaker and virtually inactive when moving around and attacking, etc.

I have a question though, what happens if your character doesn't move while having this cloaking on? Having practically perfect invisibility seems fine but does it only last for a certain amount of time? Does the substance ware off after some time? How is it activated? Or is your character invisible from the get go as soon as he soaks himself in this substance?

8. ButtonMash

ButtonMash New Member

Yeah. He activates a bracer on his armor that injects a dose of the 'reactive fluid'.
    It wears off, yes, after a certain amount of time. Depending on his heartrate, The fluid can be metabolized quicker, and be broken down quicker, Hence, The more he moves or fights with it on, Or panics, the quicker it wears off.

If he's relativly inactive, It can last quite some time.
    Honestly, I'm a little hazy about a way for him to deactivate it ICLY, So, I just freeball some sci-fi mumbo jumbo.
    But, yeah. It is as jank as jank can be.

9. ButtonMash

ButtonMash New Member

Not to sound rude, but I Think You skipped all of those drawbacks I put in place.

10. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I will bench the "is it right or wrong" thing for the time being and instead take the time to hashout/nitpick. I fail to understand how injecting a chemical agent capable of rendering a person "invisible" works if the person in question is clothed or carrying any items on them.

11. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I too was thinking this.

It looks like you have a good idea of the balance here but the actual concept behind the tech doesn't seem to make much sense.

12. OptionalFingers

OptionalFingers New Member

How did your character get it?

13. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Characters > Character abilities

14. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

I like it when these things start good, and then people start to question.

#hatequestions

15. Corvus

Corvus New Member

We're all cynical, awful people who deserve to be burned.
    : )

16. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

DUDE EMBRACE THIS OPPORTUNITY

You have a chance, to justify your character NEVER wearing clothes. EVER

NUDE NINJA FOR LIFE

17. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

I for one like this nude idea

18. ButtonMash

ButtonMash New Member

The Idea comes from a Ferrous Fluid. The Injected agent is essentially that, (Overall healthiness of the subject, being floran notwithstanding. I didn't want to mess with the canon of their hereditary metabolic systems, Because I didn't want to mess with whatever lore might be in place regarding the excretory systems of the Floran people, as Ingesting Ferrous fluid is known to, atleast in humans, lead to uncontrollable bowels.) When it is injected into him, Rushes through his system. The injected agent is sort of like a fluid magnet. While trying to stay within the suspension of disbelief, The idea is that as it goes through his system, and spreads over his body, The liquid polymer he was 'Dipped in' reacts to match the polar arrangement of the liquid, bending the light around him in a manner that makes him 'Invisible'.
    The Idea behind Ferro-fluid can be found Here.

And the Idea behind the "Light bending material" that worked as an invisibility cloak exsists even now, Created by some kids at a college somewhere in the states, However, googling it only results in finding bad green screen "Invisibility" videos on youtube, and Photoshops.

You've gotta understand, this is about as easy as i'm sure it was for Mr. Aldous Huxley to write the Bokanovsky process in "Brave New World", Or for the creators of Halo:Combat Evolved to explain the Elites having cloaking. Thankfully they didn't have to, because I don't think they could have.
    My point is essentially, I wanted to give the character somthing unique, that could fit into the lore snugly, without disrupting other rper's experience.

I won't argue against whatever ruling you decide on, I rather support it. I've been in plenty situations before this server that godmodding was an issue, Hence my taking Many steps to avoid comming off as "Over powered". I will defend my decision, but I won't argue your ruling. The Floran is a shorter, Weaker chap, favoring knives and misdirection. A typical theif archetype. I felt it would be both necessary, and fitting to give him the edge of stealth, Within the bounds of accepted lore and the unspoken meta guidelines for "Over powered abilities"

#18 ButtonMash, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  19. Sen

Sen Guest

So we have some naked invisible guy running around?

20. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

When you first used it, your exact words were "disappears into thin air", not "disappears into a light shimmer that you can still kind of see".

My 2 cents is to keep characters equal. If your character can use this technology to become invisible, then everyone should have equal opportunity to use it, or something of equal power. It just sets a precedent for me, and I remember that whole thread about character abilities that nothing ever came from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.