1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Retired USCM Pilot needs help from USCM engineers.

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Gunnysack Man, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Gunnysack Man

Gunnysack Man New Member

[J.Swift]
    While I float through space awaiting rescue from a passerby or some other source, I thought I'd be productive and ask for some assistance from some old friends of mine. I'm talkin' to you, USCM.

If there's any USCM engineers floating around StarNet, I'd like your assistance with a few technical and mechanical issues on my vessel. Just some pointers based on my current predicament.

I'm piloting a decommissioned USCM standard light transport, ID AA90813 "Garuga"
    My main concern is that my FTL drive is shot, hence my being stranded, but that's an issue I know how to fix.
    What I need a bit of advice on is that my spatial positioning receiver and transmitter is shot, and I have no idea where to begin fixing it. I am by no means an engineer, I was trained as a scout pilot in my USCM days, but I know that USCM engi's are usually savvy enough with older models to be able to help me.

Thanks.

(( I know that ship maintenance is not something that happens in-game, but I thought I'd improvise most parts from general knowledge of sci-fi ships. feel free to do the same ))

2. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Gray Hadley (Grackle)-

This is Gray Hadley of the TM S.S. Grackle, a Merchant Spacer of the USCM for the past ten years, though retired and decommissioned now. I'm pretty handy with tools, so I could possibly offer some help. I myself fly an older model, though a sixteen ton freighter, so as I said, I may be able to offer you some assistance.

3. Gunnysack Man

Gunnysack Man New Member

[J.Swift]

Thanks Gray. Well, as I said before, the only thing I need some advice on is my spatial positioning receiver and transmitter. Something tells me that I may have lost the entire transmitter array itself, but I have yet to space out and check. My receiver on the other hand appears to be malfunctioning. When I boot it up, the thing just receives static. I'm not really sure where to begin troubleshooting...

4. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

-Gray-

Do you have the equipment for a space walk? They're always helpful, I know from experience. Also, checking for shorts and blown fuses is a must, especially considering those two things. You're on a USCM Scout Vessel right? Should be pretty easy to get to the fusebox. Likely underneath the central control panel in the cockpit. Look for any discoloration in the glass tubes on the fuses- If it's not that, you may have to get elbow deep into the ship's floors.

5. Xasther

Xasther New Member

-Riley-

I'm not USCM but I do work on ships from time to time and always willing to help stranded folks. Like Mr.Gray said check for shorts. Do you by chance have a Sencore Z Meter? could use that to check to see if there is any leakage at 600 Volts. The most likely failure occurs on the innermost filament contact ring. It carries the same current as the next ring out, but is much smaller. The second ring is the other side of the filament. Current is 160 amperes in the case of a 4CX15.

6. Wesreidau

Wesreidau New Member

The problem is that you'll need to recalibrate the device, which means you need to know where you currently are. If we had a precise fix on your current position we could bypass the device and force a jump to another known position. Since we don't know your position your best bet is to triangulate where you are off the FTL carrier waves, or simply ride a beam back to the source. With a full tank of fuel you can make a sequence of jumps to narrow down your position until you're within your impulse drive's delta V to fall into orbit.

Of course, I stress a full tank of fuel and a full hold of more fuel...

7. Gunnysack Man

Gunnysack Man New Member

[J.Swift]
    My thanks to Riley and Gray...and the unnamed responder. I don't believe it's a short, and no, Riley, I do not have a Sencore Z Meter. I've got no discoloration on my fuses and they all appear to be working. I'm about to do gear up for a space walk, so we'll see what I can discern, and I'll get back to you once I return.