1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Requesting information on a human firearm.

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Tallen, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Tallen

Tallen New Member

About a week ago I acquired - or more accurately, inherited - this gun from a friend. It originally belonged to a Floran; I fully intended to return it to him but I recieved news of his passing shortly afterwards so I've held on to it since. I've taken the time to learn how to operate it - safety, firing options, quick ejection, bolt catch etc... - but I seek more in-depth information about it now.
    From the picture included it can easily be seen that it is not of Floran... well, design. Asking around I was told it is clearly human-made, but while the weapon is intuitive to utilize I have found precious little information on it - common issues, weapon analysis and maintenance, or really anything that will allow me to hold on to it without having to change or replace it. Any new info would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.
    -Glauen.

2. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

All I remember is that it was experimental and came from Germany on Earth.
    It's also called an XM8. Yeah.
    -Grim

3. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

The XM8 assault rifle, designed by Heckler & Koch during the early 2000's, developed for the United States of America military forces to replace the current obsolete M16/M4 rifle branch. Based of the HK36/G36 rifle in design and function the weapon used to have multiple variants ranging from carbines to long range rifles. The USA did not adopt the weapon, but certain PMC's of the day adopted the weapon for their own use. It fires a 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge, and is commonly loaded into a 30 round box magazine. It utilizes old Picatinny Combat Attachment Points instead of MilStd1913 rails for attachments, and comes usually with an integrated optic. Weapon safety, charging mechanism, and magazine ejector were designed to be able to be reached by both left or right handed handlers.

I'm actually kind of surprised you could find this weapon, as it was not in use very long. I would be willing to buy any sort of blueprints or schematics of the weapon you have.
    -Jace Ombre-

#3 Cole Ombre, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  4. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I think you will find you already have all the information you need. It is of human design, and that it was owned by a floran. Discard it and seek a more fulfilling form of employment. -Skarti

5. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Thank-you, though I'm not certain I know about 80% of the terms utilized, I can start doing a more effective search now.

Indeed, I was also very surprised. Sadly, the Floran is no longer with us, so how he's come to acquire it will most likely never be found out anymore. We can strike a deal: I can borrow you the wapon for you to create your own blueprints or find someone who can for a good discount, and in exchange you can tell me any details you uncover about maintenance and design flaws that a user might be aware. I realize it's not as powerful as many other guns, but it suits me and my Strix training just fine - light, fast, accurate and is easier to conceal.

Thank-you for your colorful opinion. I'll be sure to keep it in mind should I ever meet you in person.

-Glauen.

6. Hour

Hour Dogu

Is there ever a time you're not saying something stupid?
    -MR.STRONK

7. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

There is. It is precisely inverse to the amount of time you spend saying something intelligent. -Skarti

8. Hour

Hour Dogu

For someone intelligent, that was a pretty bad retort I mean "inverse"?
    Are you trying to convince yourself your smart, or someone else?
    Sure aren't convincing me.
    -MR.STRONK