1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Resolved Refract Valley

Discussion in 'Colony Questions' started by MaximumRose, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

Hi there. I'm pretty new to the server. I'm making a place I'd like to call Refract Valley. It's going to be a rainbow/crystal/prism resort area, very posh and fancy. It will have a main hotel, and some small cottages for renting, and basically a full town. If anyone wants to join me, feel free, but I have some specific building plans so if you aren't cool with guidelines for building, it probably won't work out. Anyone is welcome to come visit though, the coordinates are 30 and 6, Saldalmelik Prime II

Editing for more info:

MairiAnna TinkerToy visited a dark planet during her travels, and even though she was incredibly lonely while there, she found comfort in the colors cast by the prisms. The light that comes off of her as a Novakid made these colors even brighter and more vibrant. She decided that she wanted to share it with someone, but didn't have anyone to share it with. She built up a garden planet into a sprawling rainbow resort in an effort to have something beautiful to share with the rest of the galaxy, so that she could express herself with it instead of other social interactions, which she finds clunky and awkward. Mairi wants to finish it and invite her new friends to visit it with her... first she just has to make some friends.

2. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

It's best for new players to develop a solid grasp of how things are on the server before getting straight into colony management. Colony management is a very stressful experience and we like to see good build quality.

Other than that, the colony has problems fitting in with the setting. There is very little explanation going on here.

3. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

Okay. That answer makes sense. I was mainly looking to do this while I observe some other roleplay on the server, and learn how things work. I think I need to better explain Mairi's background so that people understand why she would build this, because for her it makes total sense.

I don't understand about fitting in with the setting though. Can you elaborate?

4. Smokestack

Building a crystal resort isn't in the realm of realistic sci-fi. Our setting is science-fiction leaning toward fantasy. If your character is just a normal novakid that found some crystal planet, they wouldn't know how to terraform and build there.

When applying for a colony, things need to be explained such as the following:
    • How did a character come to make it? It has to be within reason and the character's own financial boundaries.
    • What's financing it? How are they paying for all this building?
    • What is the colony like?
    • Build quality?
    • What does it have to offer?

Most players that do apply for colonies that do run well are established characters or players.

As of right now, I would suggest not furthering construction of the place for colony purposes (because people are supposed to build AFTER a colony is approved). Put it on the backburner, figure out what realistic RP is like on the server, and learn what makes things acceptable.

5. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

I disagree about it being in the realm of realistic sci fi, but I think the misunderstanding is coming from my inability to properly describe what I am creating. Let me try again.

My character is obsessed with refracted light, rainbows of any kind especially. My character has some very strange behaviors, and is mentally/emotionally impaired in some ways. Some people would call her "simple". I wouldn't, but some people would.
    Mairi's uncle, Zephyr, loves her and her eccentric ways, so to make her happy he is helping her build a home for the two of them. The problem is, Mairi likes a lot of things, and wants to make a lot of friends to come visit. Therefore, it became bigger and bigger until it was basically a large hotel. The rest of the planet was also beautified. The word "resort" is wrong, and I shouldn't have used it.

Actually, come to think of it, "colony" might be wrong. I think I'm just looking to make a visiting site for people to use, maybe borrow a room for the night, enjoy the facilities. A country club, more than a resort, but since it has rooms that you can stay in I was thinking "resort" would be better, descriptively. I was under the impression that to have a spot to be visited it had to be classified as a "colony".

It's made to be a vacation spot. Similar to that in the episode of Doctor Who called "The Girl Who Waited". There is a beautiful resort that is a quarantine zone, but it was originally meant to be a resort. A vacation world. That is what I was thinking of when I brought this up.

Also, it isn't on a crystal planet, and it isn't made of crystal. It's just got a lot of prisms and crystal-like things in it. Cut glass is all you need to make refracted light.

I started building because I liked building, and I wasn't able to role play at that time, since I was listening to a book on tape for a class at school. I still wanted to be productive in some way, though. Someone told me that I could build on a planet, it just wouldn't be approved on a planet as a colony possibly. It isn't done, nowhere near, but I wanted to get an idea of the limits of in-game decoration before I went describing a place that I couldn't build.

"Crystal resort" is a misnomer that I was using descriptively, not literally. I'm sorry for the confusion on that. There are a lot of crystals, but it certainly isn't made of crystal.

Basically, my character likes very colorful things. She wants to build a place for people to join her and enjoy the colors with her. That's as far as her logic goes, though. She plans on putting things that are "fun" there. Games, sports, activities, the works. There's no ulterior motive, she just wants a fun place to be with her friends. Her Uncle, who spoils her horrendously, obliges because he can.

I think I answered all of the questions. I agree with the idea that I continue role-playing and learning more about the server, but I'd really like to have a physically representation of Mairi's home.

6. Smokestack

Yes, you are allowed to have a home, that's no problem. However, on the the server we try to prevent instances of ass=pull in which characters gain assets out of nothing. Things gained without IC interaction. This won't classify as a colony, so it won't get a forum page.

I understand that it isn't a crystal planet and likely just has crystals on it. That's fine to me. But build it within discretion as in do not build it LARGE. Houses should be house sized. If it's too big, we'll have to remove it.

For now, keep it as a house for personal RP use. Do not treat it as a colony, which means that it does not generate revenue, produce resources, or contain assets outside of what your character owns.

7. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

Okay. That all works out. Can I get some specific parameters for "large"? House-sized in some pre-made villages is big enough just for a bed.

8. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

Also, my character and her uncle live together. The house would have to be big enough for two people to live in. I'm not looking for something to get me ahead of everybody else in roleplay, I'm just looking for a physical representation of my characters home, since that's so important to her.