1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Professions You'd Like to See the Most

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by DeltaV, Nov 25, 2014.

?

What jobs would you like to see more of?

1. Soldier

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Doctor

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Farmer

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. Engineer

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Student (College-level, presumably)

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  6. Lawyer

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  7. Office Worker

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  8. Carpenter

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  9. Tailor

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  10. Teacher

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  11. Politician

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  12. Businessman

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  13. Service Industry (Any not listed anywhere else)

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  14. Unemployed

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  15. Other (Post below and I'll add it)

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  16. Jim Harrison

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Just a short poll to see what kinds of professions people would like to see more of on the server, particularly non-combat ones.

2. Sen

Sen Guest

Prostitute

Male

3. Anyad

Anyad New Member

How come architect is not on that list yet? :p
    Architects definitely.

Also, what Sen said because prostitution in roleplay is just hilarious.

4. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

5. Day Tripper

Day Tripper miller ball breaker

Uh.

How about professional donkers?

6. Dark Lord Stan

Dark Lord Stan The Recoloring Master

Author, journalist, or some other type of writer.

(Yes, I want job that involve more IC writing because I think I would be fun)

7. Anyad

Anyad New Member

That's strange, I know three individual players in those roles.
    And one of my own. :)

8. Atom

Atom New Member

Farmers and carpenters for sure. Also janitors, we need someone cleaning stuff and refilling basic things in the colonies.

9. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

Nobody voted for soldier. I approve.

10. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

ftfy

11. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

One could argue that by now, the role of the civil engineer and the architect will have merged. It's happening right now IRL, and it makes more sense, frankly, if the two jobs are one in the same.

I also think people should aim to do 2 things:

1) Play as characters with skills not popular or taken advantage of in Antares. For example, there are indeed, like, zero cab drivers, zero teachers, zero janitors (maybe one) and I think, zero politicians. Try and start something new, and definitely don't go and make another damned soldier. Yes, I am telling you how to RP. No, it's not powergaming. Why not? CUZ I SAID SO.

2) Dont be another freaking jackass of all trades. It sucks. I used to RP Ray as a badass soldier and engineer and politician and military strategist and chemist and quantum physicist and nuclear physicist and basically everything physicist. Overtime as I became wiser and less of a noob, I realized that was just a liiiiiitle OP. And now, he's just a friggin astronautical engineer. So, in summation, don't be a Swiss army knife.

And thus, I end my invasion of this thread.

12. Anyad

Anyad New Member

Not that I disagree but asking (no, 'telling') people to do that is simply unfair.
    No-one wants to play out day after day of cleaning floors with everyone ignoring them, no-one wants to simply drive people around and certainly no-one wants to play a politician without actual power to go with the office. It's just the way things are - I.e.: people RP to have fun.
    You're telling them not to.
    (Let's not go into a discussion about how multi-faceted, fulfilling and interesting janitor rp can be because it can't, unless you're into mops in a big way. A janitor character's interesting stories are usually about something entirely unrelated to janitorhood.
    Unless, you make a snowflake janitor that's a janitor in but name, circling back to the original problem neatly.)

It'd be nice if everyone had a "support-role" character that plays a menial role somewhere and it'd be even nicer if people actually used them to liven the setting up for others.
    But that kind of altruism doesn't exist in a community as overwhelmed by ooc hate as this one.

We need more soldiers. Don't ever stop making soldiers. Everyone likes soldiers. - it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the lawless outskirts of known space houses a lot of fighting men and women. After all, soldiers bring about large shifts in the server status quo, soldiers get exciting and fun team-rp, soldiers get to shoot things and brag about it.
    Every single one of us should have a soldier character because soldiers are the meat and potatoes, the bread and butter of Antares.
    Not janitors.

Not to mention that "soldier" is the best possible thing a new roleplayer on the server can make. It's an easy, vague role that leaves room for personal development.

#12 Anyad, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  13. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

The reason you're seeing less jobs being played like "teachers, farmers, lawyers, and etc" is because those jobs are frankly not imaginative. The reason people role-play is to use their imagination and play something they can't be. I can be a teacher in the real world if I want, but I sure as hell can't be a kingpin or pirate. This provides a problem, though, that I think can be solved by giving a certain liberty to NPC's that handle these type of basic jobs that nobody wants to play. Hell, we use NPC bartenders all the time so it's not like it's some big deal I assure you.

Although I disagree that everybody should be a soldier. There's exciting jobs out there like merchants and etc that are fun too, as I can tell by watching people play them. Aand, one more imput since I'm actually reading the fuckin' thread lmao; jack-of-all-trades are fucking awful and if you play one, you're awful. the end.

We've also had lots of farmers, look harder.

14. Anyad

Anyad New Member

You'll notice that I didn't mention combat training. : P
    What I said was that "soldier" in and of itself is a vague enough character description for a person to forgo the restrictions of more difficult-to-play concepts and create the character he wishes organically. A good choice for new roleplayers because soldiers come in all shapes and sizes. - A good choice because yes, all those colonies and corporations and settlements 'need' gunmen, allowing a player to access team-oriented RP easily.

Any concept be it a soldier or a surgeon or a rocket scientist can be played well and atrociously -
    Any two characters can get into a combat stalemate
    Any player may decide that he's Duke Asskick of Battletown when shots are fired. Some of the most ridiculous combat RP I have ever seen was between a person in a wheelchair and an actual soldier.

Your problem isn't with soldier characters, your problem is with Bad Roleplay.
    And that, sadly, is a whole other 100 page long debate.

15. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.