1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Resolved Post-Update Colony Idea

Discussion in 'Colony Questions' started by Oleksandra, Jul 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oleksandra

Oleksandra New Member

Hiiiiiiiiii It's me again, looking to you guys for some help - and possibly an approval - of a post update colony I'd like to start, at least, eventually.

What I had for an idea was, was a sort of 'Floran Preserve', or 'Refuge'. Somewhere tamed (But not plantsuit) Floran may go, to escape persecution, or just prejudice in general. Grass (My old Sempervine.) will be the first resident, and obviously the 'mayor'. It will ahve a similar sort of governing similar to that of a mayors office - just a very bastardized, and chaotic version of such a system. Obviously, feral tribals still wont be allowed. Not even Grass likes her feral brethren.

The way structures will be placed, though, will be odd. They'll be in the trees - large trees, in fact, similar to the Sequoia (And, funnily enough, their full name being Sequoia sempervirens.). Little cottages or even full on houses are going to be built on the sturdier branches of these trees.

[​IMG]

This is an unfinished example - but a good idea as to what this forest will be full of.

2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

The problem with Floran-only or even floran-mainly colonies is that they tend to set themselves up as a 'clique' colony. Only Florans go to them, and since there's such a large anti-Floran prejudice in the server, this will just increase the IC concern of the Florans, seeing them all gather in one place like that. I'm not sure you'd get as much traffic through there as you'd want, especially after the first few days.

That being said, I love the idea of a whole colony suspended in the trees like that, it could turn out awesome.

So,
    1. What's your target player-base with this colony?
    2. What will you do to encourage people to stay or to incite events?

3. Oleksandra

Oleksandra New Member

It could easily be changed to encompass a whole wider range of species - but Grass would still emphasize tolerance for everyone who enters. That being said; meshing nature and machine to form a colony that's fit for everyone would be interesting. Solar panels build into the trees, apartments rising from the tree tops, but the buildings still having a bit of a I'd just like to give a go at something 'different'.

I'll give it some thought - but since you raised the issue of a stigma that'd be caused due to a mostly Floran populace, I might have to redesign it. Perhaps a resort, or a multi-cultural living space, like Mud. Lots of different trades and different people working together to expand and better the village - which of course would start small. Perhaps the occasional predator or bandit raid could occur, along with parties and other odd occurrences could also be the events. Forest fires, and stuff.

*Edit

I forgot to fully answer the question. Oops. I uh, I don't rightly know at this moment how I'd cause events to occur - It would be my first actual venture into anything truly large, in the server.

#3 Oleksandra, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  4. Oleksandra

Oleksandra New Member

Was just hoping if my idea's been denied or not. Or just forgotten. I know you folks are busy.

5. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Apologies - we also had a few other applications to contend with and so forth. Decided to get the definite answer ones out the way first before coming to here.

Again, to reiterate points above which seem to be the largest of doubts - the fact of "will this place get use". It's good to say the florans will tolerate outsides, but at the same time whom in their "right" mind would openly walk into a tribal floran establishment?
    I fear that in the end this place would only get as much use out of it as Sarracenia: You'll know the one, the one from OE. Just a checkpoint for florans to pass by, stay for a while, before they go out on the wild hunt, which is unfortunate. I truly doubt much would happen within the place itself.

For this, I would have to say no to it being a colony as such. If you however determined and persistent, and wish to go through with this idea, I'd recommend taking a much smaller scope - make it a sorts of floranic outpost amongst one/two trees in the giant forest rather than a giant settlement spanning the entire thing, which should make it more suitable for a smaller population should they come to visit.