1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Poptops...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimmie, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Dimmie

Dimmie New Member

[​IMG]
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-poptop-educational-pamphlet.3407/

Just look at these adorable little bastards. I want to RP one so badly. Just, some weird little monster that doesn't really communicate but seems to understand the basics of it (Least, their lore shows that they've got more sentience then just their genetic engineering of CHEW ON EVERYTHING/EVERYONNNEE.). They're actually ingame and spawnable with admin controls (As seen below)... Sadly they are not capturable (I crai errytime)

[​IMG]

So, I saw that the penguins are a thing on this server, have their sprite and everything. This is just, out of curiosity is all... Would it ever be possible to somehow RP a Poptop. Because it is now my dream to RP one, or own one icly.. LOOK AT HOW CUTE IT IS!!
    AHHHHHHHHH.

2. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

i love them

3. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Penguins are accessible through starcheat, which makes them easier to get, whereas this would be hard to get from my understanding of the assets so far, though I'm no person familiar with the work done to transfer the skin to a character choice. But, in the rules, it says no custom races, plus, penguins require applications to moderators and admins.

4. Dimmie

Dimmie New Member

So do I.

[​IMG]

jst coz.
    Poptopz

Thanks for the answer. Damn. The race isn't exactly a custom race considering they're a creature that exists ingame currently, and are supposedly triggered in singleplayer through a random event (Though they can be spawned in via admin commands). I'd assume if they became an actual playable option they'd require applications as well! Otherwise yeah, doesn't look like it.

5. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Wait... If the poptops are being added..

Oh god.. The Mindwurms cometh.

[​IMG]

6. Dimmie

Dimmie New Member

ohgawd

But they've already been added is the thing. Go to singleplayer, /admin, /spawnmonster poptop 1 and it'll spawn where your mouse is.
    Warning: Poptops may try to rip your face off, and tend to explode when they come into contact with doors for some strange reason.

7. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Sorry to break your heart into a million pieces, but the likelihood of them ever being a player race on the server is basicly zero.

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I don't even really like penguins being an RPable race.

9. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This. Poptops are not sentient, and could probably be roleplayed to the extent that a cat could. As such, I'd probably have to sway to a blanket statmenet of "Eh. No." on having a character of one.

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Cats are sentient though.

I think you mean Sapient.

11. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

I will not debate the semantics of my statement. The point is: Poptops have very little to contribute in the way of character development and universe development to Antares. From what I've seen of penguins, permitting Poptops would be a mistake, both short-term and long-term. Even though they may be enjoyed for a short time, they will fade as a fad.

They have null contribution.

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

No I agree.

The penguins are at least a fully established race within the Starbound setting, that are sapient and have technology and advanced weaponry, and can talk.

Poptops, whilst awesome are mere animals and couldn't really be rp'd as anything more than a character's pet.

13. Aegis Ebonwing

Aegis Ebonwing New Member

Inb4 'well my poptop is a house pet and has manners and will not chew on everyone it sees'

14. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

[​IMG]
    That is all.

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Regardless of cats (which aren't relevant to the topic at hand), I personally think that players should be roleplaying people instead of animals. Things like the penguin race would be better left to the hands of the administration for event purposes.

16. Dimmie

Dimmie New Member

I will be unhappy if that happens...
    If my Floran gets a pet Poptop ever...
    It will icly chew on everyone. Including said Floran.