1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Playing as a Glitch hivemind.

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Donovennn, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Now, I'm not gonna do this, I just thought it could be cool.
    I don't mean playing as a glitch in a hivemind, but the mass consciousness itself.
    So, you could have a few alts that you play as simultaneously, finish each others sentences, stuff like that.
    I just think it would be cool if someone could pull this off, that's all.
    Anyone got any ideas?

2. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I think this idea has been suggested over 9000 times. While it is a good one, I believe it would be weird for there to be multiple glitch hive minds independent of one another. I know one has already been started, if you want your character could join that one.

3. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Oh, pfft. Didn't see those posts. I'll look into it, thanks.

4. Animator

Animator New Member

This is borderline impossible. The hivemind itself can't be expressed as a single, identifiable entity purely because it's expressed individually in every single Glitch. Honestly, from it's description, it's not much of a hivemind at all: Yes, the Glitch are bound to each other mentally, but they still maintain their individuality despite this. In fact, the fiefdoms the Glitch create, while following the exact same themes and motifs, operate independently from themselves, evidenced with how Dreadwing himself impersonated a damn king and got away with it in The Would-Be King. If the hivemind described were a real hivemind, with everyone's minds linked up simultaneously, that scenario would not only have never happened, but it would be downright impossible for it to occur in the first place.

What the proposed hivemind that's been established actually fits more in terms of description is a collective unconscious, brought about by whatever programming that is latent within the glitch still bound by it. It fits all the token trademarks:
    • The Glitch bound by the collective emulate the same kind of style no matter where they are.
    • They all have approximately the same knowledge of themselves, and can recognize what they are and how another kingdom functions light-years away
    • Their culture is consistent while bound, and will do the same thing within the constraints of that culture even when presented a clean slate.
    • They can't give a proper reason for any of this beyond the fact that they simply feel that they know.
    The only thing that could come close to playing this, is to play the creator of the Glitch, which opens a whole 'nother can of worms to deal with. You can't play a hivemind that's expressed in several entities because you'd need several people to play the same thing, and it's even more difficult to do so with something that isn't genuinely a hivemind in the first place. It's too abstract a thing to be.

The Glitch, as much as I enjoy being them, suffer many, many plotholes that will hopefully be addressed in time. This is sadly one of them.