1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Oxygenless Colony

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EyesofMarch, Sep 22, 2015.

1. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Make a colony where the atmosphere is unbreathable, and the entire colony is required to be indoors in some sort of dome-like setting, or similar. I think it's be interesting to find that not every single planet in the galaxy is habitable!

2. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

The problem I see with this is that people have a habit of doing one of the following:
    A) Ignoring the colony with the unique setup completely.
    B) Not giving a damn about said setting, or simply not understanding how a vacuum/hostile atmosphere works.

Personally I think this would be pretty cool if someone set up on a Pandora esque planet. (like from James Cameron's Avatar) The costs of that maaaay outweigh the benefits though, depending on what the appeal of setting up on said planet is.

3. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

What's to understand? Wear a space suit outside! If you don't, you suffocate and die!

4. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I've seen some shit, man. I've seen some shit.

5. Metts

Metts New Member

This would be nice, we need more diversity in colonies anyways

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

as long as it has a bar, people will visit, unfortunately.

7. Cannibal_Kon

Cannibal_Kon New Member

I had an idea for this in an underwater colony. Needing a sub suit to breath and things. It could go well if the honor rules were taken seriously. I think hiding the coords might help alleviate that. Giving it to those that specifically tell you they'll do it at least gives you the clarity that they at least /read/ those words and know the colony operates like that. At least, that's what I would assume.

8. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Thing is I doubt people will go through the trouble to ask.

9. DartyGooblin

DartyGooblin New Member

There's a moon orbiting orwell that needs some stuff. Maybe even an erchius refinery coughcough. Erebus Industries would totes invest in a business operation setting up there, and there's be easy access to a colony and industrial planet (3 planet cluster) not to mention ease of shipping for interplanetary trade, supplies, etc.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443030117][/DOUBLEPOST]Apologies for my smart phone grammar. Big thumbs.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

First I'd like to say we need to keep the colonies to a minimum. If the server had more of a population then sure make more colonies. With that being said. I do agree with Sarah on this. We do need more unique colonies. Most are either on jungle, ocean, lush, or forest. Only a few were on arid, or snow.

11. DartyGooblin

DartyGooblin New Member

Luckily there's money what, Orwell and Olympus? Olympus on the beach, Orwell on the Savannah. A third isn't bad.

12. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Archorhead is still a colony right, or did that go derelict?

13. DartyGooblin

DartyGooblin New Member

I kept hearing Olympos was the only thing, then Orwell started getting people, hadn't heard anything of Anchorhead in awhile. But I could be wrong.

14. Yotan

Yotan New Member

typhoons, storm surges, tsunami, even earthquakes. Have Triton send out 3 day, 2 day, than a 1 day warning for an incoming hurricane, etc. For Orwell weather such rain stroms (drizzle or heavy rains), acid rain, sandstorms, dust devils, etc.

Any this can got for oxygen less colonies depending on the planet. I honestly see alien plants, toxic planets having unbearthable atomspere. This line of thinking can along with surface mini-biomes like Giant flowers, mushroom, tar, flesh caves, and slime caves. Where as you start to get close of are in them require breathing assistance.

15. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I've got a forest one set up already, its very basic and medieval feeling. Keeping it very quiet for now though, for IC reasons.