1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Opinions On Asa Yoshida and time to come clean

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by Ariexe, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

Its come to my attention (finally), that some people think of Asa as power gammy and un-hit-able.

To describe a bit of her "features" for more understanding. Her leg and eye we're taking in a failed mugging. This was unplanned and the replacement of both body parts we're entirely role played out. Her leg was replaced with a spring loaded mechanical leg. its light and easily damageable, but if she lands on it correctly she can survive slightly higher heights. Her eye was originally simply night vision, thermal vision, and normal vision. it was recently icly upgraded to have an info chip and recording software. this could be used to mathematically determine the path of moving objects, sort of ripped off the idea of the new SAO... yea.. I'm unoriginal. since a few days ago, her eye has been damaged and is malfunctioning and I plan to ICly downgrade it to just the additional recording software.

speaking of unoriginal. her gauntlets are basically modified versions of this chicks.

Edit: Minus the explosions and the breaking physics... she just has shotguns in her gauntlets... thats it

As i'm trying to flush out asa to be more original and less power gammy, I'm voiding her gauntlets ever having this feature. No one was really injured from the shotgun gauntlets, so voiding her ever having them wouldn't be so bad. Her gauntlets also have a shock feature which she uses to knock people out, icly installed, and ever since the start, her gauntlets have always had the grapple hook chain whip.

She fights with a 2h blade, sometime using only one hand to slash around with it.

I finally set a fixed weight asa could lift. she starts struggling to lift things around 90 lbs, and her max lifting capabilities without hurting herself majorly is 140 lbs. i'd like input on this as irl i'm a weakling and I do not know how much someone with moderate muscles can lift.

Her hearing is slightly advanced since she's a fish and as evolution proves, larger ears help with better hearing and she has big ear fins.

And finally, a feature I am removing. She use to be resistant to electrical damage for being "an eel" type but i've decided that is 100% bull shit.

Note: Shes intentionally based off of little red riding hood.

Shame me, tell me I suck. I want to hear it as it makes me aware of what i'm doing wrong. I'd like suggestions and opinions on my character, and input on what to remove, and how to make her better. From today I'm planing to remaster her and finally flush her down on who she actually is.

#1 Ariexe, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

... *Shrug* Shotgun gauntlets sound cool enough... *Thinks about using that in one of many stories he'll never finish*

3. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Honestly, this isn't that bad, with the changes you're promising.
    I mean, literally, Corvus had a cube that turned into a suit of armor when properly stimulated.

so no biggie dude. <3

4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Improved hearing? Unless there's a lorebook or some other in game description stating that they (Hylotl) have improved hearing i'd remove that...

#4 Khaltor, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  5. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.

How to be less powergamey: Don't powergame.

6. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Long story? It isn't an issue of character. Not usually. It's more an issue of player, or rather, mentality. Being over competitive is the primary issue. Never wanting to lose, always coming out on top. Trying to cover all the bases, be all the things, leaving little space for character flaws or gaps of knowledge.

If you want Asa to be less powergamey, don't powergame. Lose sometimes, set barriers, faults. How much can she endure? When is too much too much? It's not just Asa, it's a lot of people. A LOOOOOT of characters.

7. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Or, just don't get into fights! 3/4 of my characters are actually afraid of deadly encounters and thus avoid danger!

8. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Its hard alright, everyone here is so violent!

9. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

Bland and dry character (Including personality). 2/10
    Shotgun gauntlets sound stupid and impractical if you plan going full melee (2handed sword). Plus, I don't forget about recoil from shotgun shots. Hylotl are amphibians, not fishes. Yaddayadda all this doesn't really matter. Downgrading equipment doesn't really stop somebody from powergaming. But you becoming concerned about this gives a bit of hope.

10. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

I have many flaws set up for asa, problem is no one uses them. She can't endure much, another problem is no one fights her to that point. and ill agree its alot of people are power gammy, but its best to start with yourself.

Things like competition is something i'm trying to ya know, fix as well. but its hard to take a hit in this server when everyone resolves thing with murder.

11. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

When speaking about endurance, I meant less character endurance and more literal endurance. Watching fights in the Den, they tend to go on a while because neither side wants to yield. No one wants their character to lose. Asa, and others, endure through hits that should put anyone else on their ass, simply because no one likes to lose. Not even a little bit.

12. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

Welcome to Antares how can I help you.

13. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

This is the problem.

Currently on this server the average combat proficiency rating is "super badass". Having a balanced character who is good at some things but weak at others ultimately means your character is a weakling, because everyone else's character is good at everything. This includes tanking through bullets and damage that realistically would knock them on their asses, or in the case of gunshot wounds, injure them heavily and possibly straight up kill them. Having your character realistically take damage means you lose, because the other guy's skin and organs are apparently made of impervium.

14. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Fixing it. As I said, this isn't really a character issue. Character issues just LEND to it. This is a player mentality, and it's something that we have to consciously try to fix. Sure, taking away shotgun gauntlets, or power-eyeballs or super-mech-strength is good and dandy. But that's not what makes people powergame. That's just added edge to powergame with. If you have a gun in your hands, or a SUPAH KATANA in your other hand, the temptation to powergame exists.

Fancy gadgets just add freedom to power gaming. More creative. And if you're going to powergame, might as well go all out and powergame in more ways.

15. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

The biggest problem we have is that no one realizes roleplaying is cooperative, not competitive.
    I mean I'm not innocent, I was pretty guilty of mary sue'ing and "huehue no Im super fast I promise" back in the Aiko days.
    We have a big issue with players trying to win role playing.

And you want me to be blunt and say what everyone else knows? The Armored Wolves as a whole are responsible for encouraging such behaviour. I'm not part of the "inner workings", and I don't plan to be. But from what I and many others see, the wolves condone and award power-gamey-mary-sue roleplaying. I'd love to see you all improve. I won't blame anyone. Like I said, I was the same way. I'm happy to see you're taking the first step in looking to improve.

That's all I really had to say for this.

16. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

I honestly think we're all a little guilty of it in some regards. I know I am - my biggest offender is Crosswell himself. By all rights he should be dead at least three times over now. He's tanked bullet wounds, an arm getting blown off, etc. etc. because his role in the RA has given him plot armor of the highest caliber and I simply like playing him. It got to the point where I actually had to stop and say "his body has to be failing him by now", and what do you know he had to have an emergency brain transplant into a fucking robot suit.

I think we all need to take a step back and reevaluate what we're doing on this server. Many of us are playing this like we're the main character in a Call of Duty or Halo campaign. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to feel like a badass - it's a guilty pleasure. But roleplay is about cooperative storytelling. It's like an interactive movie, where together with others you fashion an epic tale of success and failure and all these other things. It's not supposed to be about feeling superior over others, it's supposed to be about looking back on events and going "that was really fucking cool and we made it."

17. Diddums

Diddums That Loveable Lad

heh

18. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

And it's like that way due to people like you, and that mentality. Did you make this thread with the intention of actually taking advice to get better, or to play the "I can change" song and dance people seem to be doing recently.

If you want to get better, get better. Plenty of good advice here, use it.

19. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

For actual advice. and I'm going to take it.

Not speaking on behalf of the man, but what he's told me is he's trying to drive away from the power gaming rolls that put a bad image on the wolves. and apparently he's starting with me. Thus the creation of this thread.

Thats how I looked at asa, the main character of some super epic fighting anime. I've said this before and im going to say it again. We shouldn't be roleplaying what we want to be. we should be roleplaying what we can be. and I have to agree, roleplay has always been cooperative and alot of people turn it into competitive. Ill admit i've done that up to this point and im stopping it. no more am I the main character.

20. Corvus

Corvus New Member

2 + 2 = 5.
    2 + 2 = 5.
    Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

Sorry I had to make that joke. <3