1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Opinions on an idea for a character: George-VanVilshingstein

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by Julius Mayne, Aug 19, 2014.

?

Do you think the idea of George is a good one?

1. Yes, and I would like to see him roleplay on the server.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I would not like to see him on the server

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Yes, but he needs a bit more work as a character

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. No, unless he gets a bit more work on his character

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Some of you have probably had limited interaction with a character by the name of Professor George VanVilshingstein. Now, I have played as him before as sort of a way to test the waters with the idea of the character and he seems kind of.... okay to people. Not really bad, not particularly amazing but this just could be because I have not played with him all that often.

Here is the basic idea of the character, crazy German scientist who is on a quest to create the perfect consistency for snow cones. Yes, snow cones. Now, I understand that this is almost a joke, but it won't be the only thing he invents. However, instead of having him invent weapons (Intentionally) , I want him to have the most hair brained ludicrous ideas you could think of. Nothing with the intent to kill, but with the intent to solve the problems that no one really wanted to see solved. He's also old and somewhat senile, so that should help.

Now, I do want some tips for this so I would really appreciate the feedback. I do need specific tips in talking with a German accent and maybe some roleplaying tips when it comes into terms of his inventions. I don't know what area I would have him specialize in.

2. OdinOnlineAlive

OdinOnlineAlive New Member

[​IMG]

Macgyver.

He is Macgyver.

But German.

MacGerman?

Honestly, this server has too many German scientist. Where are all the russian biologists and italian industrialists? Why only wannabe Nazi Scientists?
    The idea for some inventor who makes useless stuff is pretty good though.

3. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=AvxTRADi_0U

4. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

He seems alright? . .
    It's kind of an overused trope at this point; dottering old mad-scientist doing useless work.
    [​IMG]
    It's played solely for laughs anymore, and comedy is incredibly hard to accomplish in an RP scenario without feeling like forced "zaniness".
    If you wanted to do someone that, while a "mad scientist" style character, but could be taken more seriously, please refer to;
    [​IMG]
    Dr. Bishop from Fringe. ((I just started watching this though it's a few years old shh))
    He has strange quirks, an estranged son, and seemingly random outbursts concerning his work.
    When focused, he constantly remarks on memorable foods he's had in the past.
    "When in Cabot, I had the most wonderful fruit salad, though, I'm not normally the kind of guy to go for a, fruit salad."
    He's one of the two brains in the show, a veteran in fringe science from working for the CIA in the 70's and 80's.
    . . .
    I'm not saying "just play Bishop", of course, but, maybe draw some inspiration for a more down to earth, realistic take on the mad scientist genre of character?
    That's my two cents on the matter.

TLDR; Comedy is a fool's errand, so play a character from a show I like.

5. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I believe a character should have a true, core motive, and then build around that with little habits, preferences, quirks, flaws, etc. which can either impede or promote his ability to strive for that motive. This makes for a more realistic character. Motives include galactic peace, freedom for all, safety for all, personal happiness, etc.

A good thing to stay away from is building your character around something temporal, such as completely opposing some faction or some character. This means once said faction or character ceases to exist, your character no longer has anything to strive for and is essentially dead inside.

I fully think your idea of a senile old scientist is a good path to follow, but a difficult one as well as it is easy to cross the line from a legitimately interesting character to a complete joke. Possibly your character at heart wants to make a difference and make something everyone will love and appreciate, but because of some mental issues (possibly a traumatic event in his past or a mental illness) he decides to work on seemingly mundane projects.

I dont consider myself anywhere near the experience level of some people here, (I'm only just approaching my one year of roleplaying mark) so take my advice with a grain of salt. Hope this helps!

6. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

7. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

8. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

9. Olivia

Olivia New Member

You can't get much more German scientist than that. The name is a bit too much for me, pretty sure that last name doesn't even exist in Germany let alone the whole world.

10. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

I think he should not be a German scientist, he should still be a scientist, just not German

11. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There are an awful lot of German scientists (both Human and otherwise). And if he is going to be German, perhaps look up actual German surnames. Since he's Human, there's no reason he wouldn't have a surname from his home country.

12. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Well, the character is meant primarily to be satirical, however, I will take the opinions into account. I want to develop a well rounded, very fun character so I appreciate anymore feedback you may have. Any ideas on his ethnicity, the name is staying, sorry.

13. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

I like the idea that Toadkid suggested, so if anyone has any ideas for a sort of main "goal" or motive for him to follow, I'm up for feedback and suggestions.

14. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Well he should be your character. I like to put a little bit of myself in my characters, because it makes them all the easier to play as. You dont have to go as far as I did and make your character entirely based on your dream job/life (Ray) but you could throw some core value you have into the mix (like love for nature, curiosity, exploration, whatever you find important), which makes your character all the more interesting.

15. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

I'm thinking something very warm hearted. Something that seems completely innocent and simple, but goes about it in only the way he can.

16. VaporDispersion

VaporDispersion Superflappy Dogefish

Stein? Shillingstein? Luise's gonna have a field day with that guy.