1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Official Lore Factions

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Atom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Atom

Atom New Member

Lets discuss how we can bring factions from Starbound lore into Antares. Keeping them balanced and as close to the original lore is the goal of this thread.

http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Lore

2. Atom

Atom New Member

I think a good starting point would be to construct NPC colonies created by the factions (similar to the Outpost). Then as players join, they could settle in that star system.

3. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Don't forget, two lore based factions have already existed in the past, so unless they're voided, these factions should fall in line with vanilla lore as well as server lore.

4. Atom

Atom New Member

I can't forget something I know nothing about. Where is the information on how those factions came about? We don't have a server lore section so its only a few people that were involved that know about it. All I know is that those factions were the main reasons that people have issues with lore factions because from what I've heard they were not handled well.

5. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I thought the Holy Fleet was pretty good...
    You're most likely hearing about the USCM's fuckups.

6. Atom

Atom New Member

Honestly I don't know anything about either of them first hand which is why we really need a server lore history section for new players to catch up. But we don't have that so I am only concerned with the future of lore based factions in Antares on a larger scale.

7. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Well, you can ask any of the players involved in the factions. It's not hard to figure out who, since the faction subforums are all in the historical section on the forum. Or, you can read through any threads that involve either the Holy Fleet or the USAF. You may not get all the information you want that way, though.

8. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Lore factions have never been approved. What did exist was branches of lore factions. Otherwise staff would have closed them down.

9. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

"Historical Factions". As the server has no lore for itself, this is probably the best example of such.

10. Atom

Atom New Member

Reading through some of it now. No one has any ideas they would like to state about the future of bringing in factions? I'm not so concerned about the individual factions themselves as much as how we will bring in multiple factions and keep them running true to what they are as a whole.

I believe there should be NPC faction outposts made that govern themselves without player's influence (other than building it OOC). They would serve as the factions hub in Antares and could keep the "branch" factions that players are involved with in check if they stray away from the lore and ideals of the main group.

11. Sen

Sen Guest

#11 Sen, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Maybe it's just the old USAF member in me talking, but I personally think that if players would be more willing to plan attacks beforehand, their rebel groups or terrorist organizations or whatever you want to call it would have a great deal more success than attacking suddenly without prior OOC warning.

13. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

The critical difference between the USCM (USAF, USIF, USAUAOOOGA!) and the Holy Fleet that I found was that while the Holy Fleet existed within Avos' more canonized sphere of characterization, it was also isolated. Instead of getting orders from Avos and such, the Fleet's forces were held under the authority of the Hyperion and whatever Stargazers were with him. It didn't necessarily represent the entire will of Avos, and as such, another of the Fleets could exist, or a task force, or what have you, without conflicting too much.

The USAF retained this secularism until, in its death throws, it utilized USCM Operators from Earth. I see this as a.) a huge breach of the lore and b.) an excuse that they used to essentially control any USCM Operations within the server for a long time after that. If the USAF had remained an isolated bunker, they would have been fine. But they chose, instead, to run a plot in which forces were redirected from a desperate battle in the Sol system to some backwater because of unfounded xenophobia. The whole thing was a mess, and ultimately led to rules on Canonical factions being restricted extensively.

If it's done well, it can work. But I believe moderator oversight is necessary to keep things from becoming a pissing contest of the 'play-to-win' variety.

14. Keycross

There's not really any reason to thing a portion of CENTCOM coould be xenophobes. In humans, backstabbing and act like a group of crazies have always existed.

Though the implementation and what happened weren't good, idea overall could work. I didn't see restrictions, just players uninterested on them. Fleet died precisely for no interest on an army of religious birds hated by entire Antares.

15. Atom

Atom New Member

I agree. Thanks for the summary, its hard to really know what these factions were like just reading it in the sub-forum.

16. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

While I would like to make a reply about the USAF, I won't derail this thread. So, please, if you are interested about discussing it, create a conversation between me and you (though of course, if it does not interest you, that's fine too, I just enjoy discussing the USAF).

Anyway, while you are right that moderator oversight can certainly keep things from getting out of hand, I do have faith that some members of the community can be trusted with a lore-based faction. I won't argue that it's been done well in the past, but I do believe that this community, or at least certain members of this community are perfectly capable of running a lore-based faction.

17. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

That would have made them a rogue group from CENTCOM, even then, Command was explicitly stated a number of times in the Canon to be focusing on Earth. However, that's more event oversight than anything. This is about future lore factions.

Currently, I think there is a strict outlawing of these factions, but I believe they could be started up again. They would need a lot of interest behind them before they could get moving, though.

18. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I do believe the server could use some larger factions again. A lore-based faction seems perfect; Though it may be a frontier, Antares doesn't have to completely lack any sort of powerful government. After all, even when larger factions were still around, plenty of characters were still completely able to go about their business however they wanted; The large factions rarely interfered with anything unless they were directly involved. I doubt they'd change this time around, there'd still be plenty of lawless planets and unaffiliated characters, free to do as they please.

19. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

While a branch such as the Holy Fleet would be permissible, there are issues that come with them. The first is that a lore faction run on the server has a massive potential to go against the vanilla lore already in place. The second issue is that factions are required to rise up from scratch, more or less. We can't have any factions starting up with great gear and ships because "We're a lore faction, we should get this by default".

20. Keycross

Seeing past interest in said factions, it will be hard to get them moving. They need players, a structure, plus keeping said structure. With current player pool, it's hard to do so.

Staff can place structure and oversee their functionality, but it will still be up for it's players make it working. Maybe we'll see risings and downfalls as interest on them is up and down, pretty much as the rest of factions that have been running around.