1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

No Gates

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Yotan, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Like the title states I am against the Starbound in-game gates that are in ever system. Hell the admin are already against The Ark so why not add the Gates as well.

The reason why there should be no gates is that logistically there is not way a previous civilization had the resources, material, time, and labor to place the Gates into the orbit of every star system.

With that being said, what lore we do know from Chucklefish that the current races were create by the Maker. I don't want to get in to a how religious debate but again U never could see why a being of infinite power and infinite wisdom would take the time to put a gate in every system in the infinite universe.

2. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

Agreed, pulling resources from the Outpost is a bad idea, it makes for poor rp.
    (And hey, maybe the Maker had too mich time om his hands, eh?)

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Chucklefish lore aside for the moment, I don't like the gates either. I'm fine with removing them, but it would mean losing the Outpost as a potential hub world. (Which, let's be honest, nobody used it anyway.)

So if folks are okay with losing the Outpost, I can actually take the Stargates out of the code.
    Actually, working the Outpost into the anomaly lore would be a pain, anyway.

4. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

Which leads to a different thread, what will the hub be?

EDIT: Anyway, I really do like the idea of the gates gone, makes us cut off from civilisation, having to start over.

5. Orsaa

Orsaa New Member

Yeah, I would be fine with just removing it. Not much use to me anyways. Don't know about others though.

EDIT : I agree with you it would make it all the more immersive.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Perhaps but what would motivate the maker to even do it. I know that is far from the first thing i want to do the day.

Here is the thing Kaz your Cosmic anomaly was already isolating the server from the core worlds. Why is it any different from the outpost? Everyone can get to the outpost. Which means that the outpost is connected to the core worlds. Which means that despite the cosmic anomaly displacing things, contact with the core worlds is still possible. Hence nothing has changed except the server wipe.

I know logic....

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Let's just consider the gates being gone a byproduct of the anomaly. They still exist canonically, but they're nowhere in the new zone.
    This sit well with everyone else?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439026479][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Canonically, the gates only existed in the Antares Frontier, rather than the entire galaxy.
    This factoid wasn't very well known, though, so it's not your fault you didn't know. (Almost nobody did)

8. Orsaa

Orsaa New Member

Yeah, that would make sense. I'm happy.

9. Yotan

Yotan New Member

HAHA!! Sure Kaz. That sounds good.

10. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'm fine with this.
    Prevents gate-like transportation to get stuff from the core universe via the outpost.

11. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Honestly I always thought of them as just an in game mechanic and nothing else.

12. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

Sure, why not?

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I have an archeologist character that studies the gates and the ruins in the Ark.... when the next update adds underground challenge portals she is going to investigate those too.

14. Rezima

Rezima New Member

unfortunately this would likely invalidate that character..but honestly barely anyone did anything with the gates and they have caused nothing but confusion and trouble, they are very bad for roleplay.

15. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I seem to remember the Ark being either voided or reserved for a server-wide event when it came out, anyways. I suppose it doesn't matter at all at this point, though.