1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Approved Nation Submission part 2

Discussion in 'Other Questions' started by squamouss, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. squamouss

squamouss Lore Writer

This one is shorter than the others, sorry.

Just a few short years ago, the Oramus systems, a cluster of solar bodies with a decent amount of habitable planets between them, slipped out from the grasp of the Miniknog, establishing itself as the Oramus Apex Liberation Front. The government is a military dictatorship comprised of the leaders of the revolution, all of whom have been hailed as heroes by the majority of the populace. The nation itself is wracked with starvation and poverty, as most food was imported by the Miniknog, and the majority of ores have been mined dry. The government is doing its best to help its citizens, but it can only do so much. In addition, the chaos that such a situation creates has led to law enforcement evolving to become very harsh and militarized, all in order to protect the people, of course. Culturally they differ very little from the Miniknog with the exception that they value individual freedom and worth far more than their counterparts. Even now, many find it difficult to shake off the indoctrination of the Miniknog, and often act as though they are still under its rule, a fact which frustrates their liberators to no end. Even so, there are differences. Unlike typical Miniknog planets where children are brought up en masse in indoctrination schools, one can see families walking together and raising children by themselves, along with citizens displaying interest in art, literature, and other forms of entertainment banned by the ministry, with some more well-off citizens even leaving the systems to explore the galaxy. Any foreigner traveling through Oramus will be beset by curious locals looking for information about the galaxy. Indeed, barring the heavy military presence, many would find Oramus a happy if poverty-stricken society. But behind that cheerful exterior lies an undertone of fear and paranoia. The Miniknog does not let its colonies go easily, and many fear a mighty reclamation fleet is even now being prepared to reconquer the rebel territory. As it stands now, the ruling government simply lacks the resources to combat this hypothetical threat, and they know it. Rumor has it that the desperate nation is looking to procure supplies by any means necessary, a fact that has their resource-rich neighbors worried. Only time will tell if such rumors are true.

As you can imagine, its hard to write about a culture that doesn't really exist, hence the lack of length. My idea is for an event to eventually happen where they attack the Brelius republic to steal its resources. PC mercenaries or self-proclaimed heroes can choose which side to support and partake in missions.

#1 squamouss, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Sorry for the looooong wait, feel free to yell at me. I like the ideas you got going here, and while this one could use a bit more elaboration, it's enough as is. Approved, i'll toss it in with the others you've sent to put in the setting lore.

3. squamouss

squamouss Lore Writer

I understand it could use some more work, but would you mind telling me specifically where? Its a bit hard to write about culture when realistically it would still be very similar to that of the Miniknog, given the recent-ness of their liberation.

4. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I feel where it lacks most is where they would vary from the Miniknog. I understand they're meant to be similar, due to the recent liberation, but that leaves it really open ended. It doesn't necessarily need anything to 'complete' it, it tells you what you need to know, but a bit of elaboration on what makes this culture unique would make it more solid.

5. squamouss

squamouss Lore Writer

I've edited the proposal. I think its much better now.

6. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

It only gets better, eh? I like it.