1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Naming rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FaliusAren, Apr 5, 2014.

1. FaliusAren

FaliusAren New Member

No, this is not a thread about actual server rules. I just want to know how naming works around here. Or are names like Pooptickler common? (of course they aren't... But how DO you name your characters?)

2. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Everyone chooses the name they want, basically.

3. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I think the first letter should be captialized, though.
    I saw a guy freakin' named "bob"

4. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

I saw someone named IIxunknownxII... and i dont like this name :x

5. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Its a free for all. Some go with Starbound style like Waterswimmer, Dirtbiter. Others go big name, others go with wierd stuff.

6. Liraxus

Liraxus New Member

I have to say that I tend to think up the names of my characters randomly, Sativa is a form of drug used in medicine, while his last name is an homage to the Oran berry from Pokémon. I had relatively no clue that most Florans went by names like "Treehugger or Legbiter, or else I would have named Sativa something like Skullcrusher. (A parallel to his personality)

Teddy's name was a bit rushed, you see, Teddy originally wasn't even going to /be/ a character, she was going to stay in the village but Shellton begged me to make her a character, so I tested out double-clienting and said "Sure, it'd be fun to play as a young Hylotl.", Shellton asked for a name, and I actually hadn't thought up of one at that point, so I was there pausing like "Oh shit what's her name make it cute yet interesting god damn it" and then I thought of Tadpond, a mixture of Tadpole and pond...and then Teddy came up, thought it was cute so tada.

Markus' first name is meant to be an homage(in terms of similarity) to Kid Icarus' Magnus, who'm Markus is somewhat based off of personality-wise and in terms of appearance(albeit much different, like hair and whatnot.)
    Aaand I got carried away again.

7. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Mucklurk. He lurks. In muck.

8. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Yeah but names like that aren't allowed silly, report his ass! SLAM DUNK

9. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

You just have to remember that if you pick a weird name, or even a weird design for your character, other characters will comment on it. Especially if it is unusual for your race. You might get away with Pooptickler on a Floran (maybe), but on a human... eh.

10. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Also try to avoid famous names. I don't think there's a written rule about it, but I think it's an unspoken one. LOL. From my experience on NWN at times, it's really annoying to see someone name Luke Skywalker or Bob Ross running around.

11. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Naming your character after any media (Isaac Clarke, Luke Skywalker, Claire Redfield) is actually going against the CoC and will get you in trouble.

If you look at the name generator for characters in game, you can get a sense of the name styles for most. The tribal/spiritual types of Florans and Avians usually get a name like "FlowerSinger" or "WindDancer", but some will give them normal punny names. Like Falco, Pidge and Hawke.

Using the random gen can give you a few ideas for names. I just thought up the fanciest most out there name I could.

12. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

^ It depends on the race really. I assume that florans or avians have those two worded names based on the name generator. For humans, it's easy since you can just look at the names people have IRL. I got all the names for my characters from a random name generator. I recommend you try that if you don't have any ideas.

13. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

Renegade Commander George Broadblade

my best name

14. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Good thing Knuckles the Hedgehog isn't a licensed name. Now I can play my original character where ever I want!

15. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

my characters' name are all mostly based on the generator's ! i try to keep to lore (most of the time)
    but basic rules are, if it's not vulgar, and it's not copyrighted, go nuts.

16. Xenos

Xenos New Member

I try to give my characters a mystical or mysterious name. Suits their personalities. Usually.

17. Shellton

Shellton New Member

Shhhh. I /totally/ didn't beg you. SHHHHHHHHH.

18. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

High Lord Ser Buttsington Von Piddleblader the XXIV.

19. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

I usually let my characters story determine the name. I write out a little background then I come up with a fitting name. Kuma is japanese for bear and Kuma was a soldier( Russian bear. :p ) who has split personality disorder and I kept it japanese because she is Hylotl. Her other side acts like a creepy psychopath. Which explains her last name Humuhumunukunukuappua'a ( Hawaii's fish Pig-faced trigger fish.) Her middle name 'Iz' is based off Iz Kamakawiwoʻole a famous Hawaiian singer.

20. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

or -=[yoloSwAgxXx420]=-