1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Mobs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galimas, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Galimas

Galimas New Member

As I have said in a past thread, I'm new to the server, but i found something kinda bothersome, no mobs. I understand that it helps with the lag and makes roleplaying easier, but it doesn't feel like your on a frontier, it kinda feels empty in a sense. Maybe set it up so that planets other than long term colonies (basically colonies that have been setup for a month period or so.) have mobs on them, that way it feels like your not just fighting the lawlessness, but also the environment. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the RP aspect, but without risk, its just a empty.

2. skeletor

skeletor Banned

the animals act independently and would either attack or walk away in rp, making them extremely difficult to work with or even work around
    there used to be a fuck ton of animals and most of the colonies would just set up turrets to keep them out
    they also lag up the server and are just generally useless rp wise
    gameplay doesn't mix well with rp unless it's designed to work hand in hand
    also, why do you call them mobs

3. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

If you want animals to interact with, you can simply RP them yourself. You don't actually need the real enemies there to roleplay them, its sorta extra. Plus like Skeletor said, they wouldn't listen, and would attack you before you could RP or whatever. If you want animals around, simply act like there's animals around.

4. Galimas

Galimas New Member

old habit, but i do understand that it causes lag and issues of the rp, but that adds to the danger. As i said before, I am loving the RP aspect, but it makes things like hunting or building on a new planet sort of lifeless.

5. skeletor

skeletor Banned

when you're in a community that focuses on rp, rp > gameplay
    having an animal constantly attack you oocly in a major city is going to be much much much more annoying than it will be to have to rp out animals on the very few times anyone will ever be on a hunting trip or deserted planet

6. Galimas

Galimas New Member

Oh in a major city that would piss me off, because it's been setup and has pushed the wildlife into submission, but on a brand new colony, you'd think that the random attacks would work with the rp, not against.

7. skeletor

skeletor Banned

it won't. it really, really, really won't.
    the animals won't wait for you to finish your rp and then conveniently attack when you want them to
    they will fucking try to maul you until you kill them
    i'm just going to leave this here and fuck off back to xcom
    rp > gameplay

8. Galimas

Galimas New Member

If that's the way it is then that's the way it is, the server is fun either way.

9. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

Sometimes I like it, and very rarely I don't. But I'm definitely glad there aren't any more animals in the big cities. And it also helps keep NPC's alive, if you ever have to for some reason. And there are some animals, just the tamed ones in villages. And if you /really/ want to, I think you can spawn them in. But I don't know why you'd want that.

10. Galimas

Galimas New Member

I guess I like both the RP and adventure, for me they seem to walk hand in hand. I understand that getting wrecked by an animal while Rping is disheartening and annoying, but adds a sense of danger in a new world. I wouldn't even mind losing a character because of it.

11. Undedlysh

Undedlysh New Member

Well, I understand everyone views but wen it comes down to RP'ing an encounter, it kinda seems too OP to have that power and ability to RP an encounter. 9 times out of 10 people are just going to bloodily murder any opponent even if they are unarmed, disarmed, or whatever. If a wild beast sneak attacks you, it's unrealistic to think your character can physically avoid damage, or be mentally stable enough to resist going into shock and overcoming an animal, while currently mortally wounded.

12. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

In the past, even with the inclusion of wild animals, they never really played a huge role in the server, as Skeletor said before. The only purpose they had ever served was for the occasional hunting trip, or as a source of food for those who lived on the outskirts of cities. The game mechanics of wild animals work in real-time, and do not conform well to our turn-based role playing mechanics. (I know I'm restating things that have been said, I guess I'm just summarizing and rephrasing.) Most players in the past have donned extremely powerful armor underneath the clothes equipped in their social slot in order to avoid things like fall damage and death from wild animal attacks. Others have increased their health supply to ungodly proportions. Up until this point where we have removed them, most characters have done all they can to avoid them. If you personally find monsters to be an important part of your role play experience, then I'd set up some sort of event, have it planned out before hand. Make sure your party members are informed and consenting to your inclusion of animals, and then just spawn them in. Like perhaps there was an infestation, or an intergalactic zoo escape, or a horde of hungry animals driven towards you in desperation. Who knows! Use the game mechanics to your advantage. Talk with the people you're role playing with. It'll work out in the end.

13. Galimas

Galimas New Member

What about a single star system that has hostile animals, that could be fun if people are willing to try it.

14. Raideck

Raideck Member

I guess but as stated above, wild hostile animals are really an ooc nuisance than an ic thing. Kind of how if you accidentally die from fall damage you don't delete the character because they died, you just fell oocly and nothing happened icly.

15. Undedlysh

Undedlysh New Member

Don't worry about repeating/rewording things you are at least giving good points and bringing up good questions. Now we have a discussion which is what we want here. Thank you for your input sir. We want to build up and test the system, not tear it down, if we made a planet/system/what have you and adapted it to become a monster designated zone, and later find out it doesn't work, we can just adapt it and warp it to a new colonial zone with a new perspective and background. A new social zone, if you will.

16. Galimas

Galimas New Member

Wild animals are a nuisance, they are meant to be a nuisance, that's why you counter it with equipment and experience, but you shouldn't remove something because it's annoying, you should embrace it and think " how can i do this to prevent that.", even falling can be RPed in as an accident, fatal or non-fatal depending.

17. Raideck

Raideck Member

Personally I'd rather not. My current active characters like Gerik wouldn't be able to handle a wild and savage beast probably double his size trying to eat him and most likely die. Yeah not fun in my book. Raideck COULD survive considering he is a pirate and used to engagements but he would be mortally wounded and unable to play for a long while. We don't have hospitals sitting around to heal our characters and if they do get injured treat the recovery process as such, not a "Oh they're injured well I'll play them tomorrow" That's just bad rp. I remember Gerik breaking his leg, I waited three irl weeks for him to be able to walk (An that was with medical equipment). So I'd avoid anything like wild creatures, that's just my opinion though.

18. Undedlysh

Undedlysh New Member

well yeah, but trying to conduct IC combat situations is kind of unfair and underwhelming. Combat isn't controlled. there is no such thing as a gaurenteed win in any combat situation. if you wanted to RP your own combat encounters, could you fairly say you would be willing to lose? to have your character die permanently? To conduct RP combat situations that would be realistic you would essentially need a DM like D&D. basically what im saying is, you would subconsiously want to win, and if you have the availability to choose to do so,its' irrational to think you would choose to lose.

19. Galimas

Galimas New Member

I like that, because you are bring up a valid point, it sucks so much to have to wait for a character to fully heal, But that makes you explore other areas, like maybe i should try being a farmer while i wait, you might not like it at first, but what if you begin to enjoy it, and see a new side of the rp you never knew about.

20. Raideck

Raideck Member

Making new characters because one gets injured is not always a good solution. Because if you do enjoy the new one you just lose track with the old one or if the old one is back and ready to go then the new one is lost, then you just have a person YOU created in the trash because you we're bored waiting.