1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Metal Properties and Blacksmith-ing (Also industry).

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alyxx, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Alyxx

Alyxx New Member

So, as far as y'all know, Iron has it's properties, Steel has others, Titanium has others, but then, we have a trouble from now on.

After looking on the Wikis, and Googling each stuff (With not much success), and looking in the official forums (With the same result), I think that we should start settling their properties. I have a few ideas for this.

Durasteel, for example. It's Titanium + Carbon. Yes, it's stronger than Titanium, but maybe it melts quicker than Titanium. Ideal for quick repairs.

Then, Aegisalt, this "Bridge" ore, taken from the mind of someone at Chucklefish. Maybe it has the same property of Titanium to don't be rejected by organisms, but a bit better.

Cerulium. A fancy name for another metal that's pretty much another "Bridge" material. I see this one as an expensive substitute to Copper, and other materials used in electronics.

Rubium, the previous step to the holy grail of Blacksmithing. I see this one as a strange mix of Iron, Titanium, and Carbon (In the form of Diamond). Strong, relatively rare, and ideal to give as an usefull gift.

Then, the top-tier metal in this universe. Imperivm. Harder than a Diamond, three times lighter than Iron. The only drawback I see to this metal, it's the limitation of uses. No electricity tranfer, and not exactly easy to work with.

These are only my guesses on this subject. I'm probably just writing senceless stuff, and maybe everything was previously settled, but hey. This is open for discussion. Of course, we could start asking Chucklefish, but they're pretty busy right now.

((*Totally not edited 2 times already*))

#1 Alyxx, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  2. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

The problem with deciding on these things is that there's simply no way to enforce them amongst the community. Everyone will believe what they want in terms of properties, such as durability, malleability, etc. The only concrete fact when it comes to the metals is the hierarchy, where copper is on the bottom and impervium rules them all.

3. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

I OBJECT WITH NO HEAT TRANSFER.

The Floran Synthesizer set "channels so much power from the sun it can get hot to the touch". Its in the actual description. This actually suggests that it is a powerful conductor of heat which can be used heavily against it when flame and heat weaponry are introduced into the mix, cooking them alive in their suit. Deserts, Magma, and Volcanic worlds won't be very good likewise for the wearer.

4. Alyxx

Alyxx New Member

One bar to rule them all. Hue hue..

Heat tranfer thing. I blame the different descriptions for each set for that, but I give you a point there. Time to edit!

(And I just imagined a poor Floran burning inside the armour in a desert... ;-; )

5. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

6. Alyxx

Alyxx New Member

[​IMG]

7. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

what a badass

8. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

I said "Save me some fire for my cig", not, "Light me on fire so I can play civ".

9. Liraxus

Liraxus New Member

Hey, it's SCP 457!

But...yes, this is something unfortunate, there's always going to be conflicting ideas, it's like the Floran mating debate, people think they're like humans, other think they're not.

10. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

They're like Flowers but with a twist.

They're Hermaphrodites that just lean towards either gender, like a female would have lost her stamen at maturity and grown a stamen.

11. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

I thought Impervium was light.
    The only evidence I have to back that up is the Raven's Breast armour description, where it says "impossibly strong but impossibly light."

I might be wrong though.

12. Alyxx

Alyxx New Member

I like how this turned from metals to how Florans reproduce.

But anyways, I give a point to Shadowstep in how Heavy / Light / "How gravity affects Imperivm" thing.

*Edits*

13. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

We tried this before, sadly it didn't work. If you could get a solid base for material properties that would be fantabulous, but I'm not sure if you will find success. Good luck though!

14. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This is not necessarily true. I'm not saying it's flat out FALSE, but it's entirely possible Impervium is a bad conductor, or at least an average conductor, as it sounds like Floran Synthesizer armor produces a lot of heat. No matter how well insulated something is, if you're putting a lot of energy into that object, it's going to generate heat. The difference here is the lack of information. Exactly HOW MUCH energy? Exactly HOW MUCH heat? It's hard to say.

15. Shag

You'd have to get into themodynamics there and find it's heat capacity per gram/ degree celsius and such

16. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha- no.

Almost my exact reaction to last Land in Black and White 2.

17. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

The simpler, the better. We definitely should not get into specific conductivities, but considering they are all metals we can assume they conduct pretty well, as all metals are decent conductors. Let's stay away from super de duper details like heat capacity per gram degree Celsius and stuff, cuz things like that make things too complicated and stuff.

18. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

*when I wish I knew what they were talking about*

19. Shag

Yeah, Toadkid's right. Let's just assume they're non-reactive metals with high/medium conductivity and poor insulation. That's how most metals are anyhow. Better know your shit in geology and theoretical physics if you wanna make up a whole new periodic chart.

Edit: Also, I really think they should switch coal with just carbon in the recipes. Coal just doesn't mix with anything. It's a mixture of different elements. It would either decompose (not really) or burn out in the process.