1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Manhunt - The search and rescue game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Weavle105, Feb 26, 2014.

?

Do you like the idea of Manhunt?

1. Heck yeah, it's awesome!

50.0%
  2. Yeah, it's pretty cool.

25.0%
  3. Ehh, not so much.

12.5%
  4. It's stupid.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. You realize there's a game already like this, right? ((In case there is, I don't know!))

12.5%
  1. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

So Manhunt is a game I'm making -for RP purposes of course, why else would I make a game, for people to enjoy it? PAH!- and the basic gist is; The search party is looking for a person or artifact, and the Guardians are tying to defend the artifact or keep the person imprisoned. Here's the rules so far.

GENERAL

There are two teams. The search party, and the guardians. The search party tries to search throughout the preset map for either the "prisoner" or the "artifact" within the set "time limit", or round limit, while the guardians try to defend the artifact or keep the prisoner imprisoned. The more players there are, the more monsters start on the map.

Accepting the rules - Accepting the rules simply means you acknowledge them and accept them as the rules of the match you are playing. This does NOT mean you have to like them. In fact, you can think they are stupid as hell and think the DM is a total dumbass for using them, as long as you accept them. However, the DM has the final say in everything, and if you can not accept the rules, you can not play the game.

Stats - The current stats are Health, Strength, Defense, Intelligence, Speed, and sanity. Certain situations will call for certain stats, for example, fighting a ghoul requires a roll strength, and attempting to dodge a spike trap would require speed. Certain ability cards can effect stats as well, either positively or negatively. WIP

Victory - If the search party manages to find the artifact or prisoner without anyone dying, sustaining lasting damaged, or losing something they came in with in general, that's a flawless victory. If one of those things happened, but they still managed to escape with the prisoner or artifact, then that's also a victory in the search parties name, just not a complete victory. If the Guardians kill all of the players, and doesn't lose any of their unique units, then that is a flawless victory. If reaching the round limit is accepted as the game ending, and the limit is reached, then that's also a victory in the Guardian's name, just not a complete victory.

ALL VARIABLE RULES MUST BE AGREED UPON BY ALL BEGINNING PARTIES.

WARNING - IF THIS IS USED FOR A REAL, IC QUEST, AND YOUR CHARACTER GETS DEFEATED, THEY WILL DIE IC, AND THAT CHARACTER WILL BE DEAD. FO' REALZIES.

VARYING RULES

Round limit - The round limit may be however many rounds, from one, to one-hundred, to no-existent as long as all beginning parties accept it. Once the round limit is reached, one of two things will happen. The game will end, or the Guardians super unit will be deployed.

SEARCH PARTY

The search party consists of 2-10 players, who are all searching for the specified person, or object. Each player can move one room per round unless specified otherwise by an item, ability, or tech card, and do one action per round. A few examples of actions you can do would be; Examining something, engaging in combat, etcetera etcetera. The purpose of examining objects would be to find clues as to the whereabouts of the prisoner or artifact, or perhaps treasures that could assist one in finding said prisoner or artifact.

Unique characters - Players on the search party team MUST be unique, roleplay characters. They CANNOT by generic grunts, for example, USCM troops. This does NOT mean that your character can't be part of USCM or anything like that, they just have to be a unique character that you've played before.

Encountering monsters - If one encounters a monster, they can either roll for strength to try and fight it, roll for speed to escape, or, if the DM has marked an object in the room as something you can use to hide, you can roll for sanity to hide from the monster. If you roll to hide or escape and fail, then you are forced to fight the monster, which would then automatically get the first attack. On your turn, you can either roll for strength to attack, or speed to escape. On the monsters turn, you can roll for defense to block the attack, or speed to dodge. Poltergeists are exempt from these battle rules. If a player attacks, then that player would roll a D20, and add whatever number they rolled to their attack stat, and if it's higher than the monsters defense, then the player would deal damage equal to their attack minus the monsters defense, for example, if someone with ten attack rolled a fifteen and was fighting a monster with twenty defense, then the formula would go as such; 10+15-20=5 So then the player would deal five damage.

GUARDIANS

The Guardian team controls multiple of a different assortment of monsters each, including;
    Ghouls - Ghouls are your average type of monsters, half-decent speed, strength, intelligence, all that jazz, however, whenever they kill a player, they can feast on their corpse to gain a +2 to ALL stats. Roll for strength.
    Poltergeist - These enemy types cannot be attacked. They can only be defended against, and if the defense roll is high enough, it is considered a counter attack, and deals damage to the poltergeist instead of the player. Roll for intelligence.
    Demon - A demon type monster is a "super unit" for lack of a better phase. These units start with max stats, and can not be killed, HOWEVER, demon units can only be deployed AFTER the round limit is reached, if the use of demon units has been decided upon and accepted by all beginning parties. Demons also use their own population, which, depending on the rules, can max from one to four. Roll for speed. (Escape)

Monster population - At the beginning of the game, there should be two monsters for each player there are. At the beginning of the game, this is how the monster population should look; 2 players 4/8 monsters. 4 is how many there are on the field, 8 is how many there can be in the field. 3 players 6/12 monsters, 4 players 8/16 monsters, etcetera etcetera. The amount of Monsters split between each Guardian player to control is to be decided before the game starts.

Unique characters - The Guardians do NOT have to use unique characters, nor do they have to exclusively use preset monsters, however, unique characters will more often than not be stronger than any of the preset monsters. Unique characters also do not use up any of the population, however, they do count towards the starting population, so if you use a unique character at the beginning of a game against two players, instead of the monster population being 4/8, it'd be 3/8.

The Dungeon master - The Dungeon master is the leader of the Guardians. They are also the main person who sets up the map and pitches the rules. Basically, they set all the shit up, possibly with some help from other Guardians.

Traps - WIP

MAPS

Each map is an arrangement of preset rooms, which each hold specific traits. A room can be small, medium, large, very large, or open, which can hold up to one, two, three, four, and a varying amount of people respectively. Small medium large and very large all take up about one tile, whilst open rooms can be any number of tiles. For example, were you to have a planetary manhunt, then there could be a courtyard which takes up nine tiles. As long as the entire courtyard was within eyesight upon entrance, then all nine tiles would be revealed, instead of just the one.

MISCELLANEOUS

Cards - There are three types of cards, item, ability, and tech cards. Item cards are preset items that may give specific abilities to players, or may even hinder them.

An example of a positive item card would be;
    Red stimpak - This card may be used to recover health instantly, either in battle or on the board.
    An example of a negative item card would be;
    Ancient stone key - This card may open a door hidden somewhere around here, but is heavy and slows you down.

Abilities are character specific, and should generally vary in effects. A few examples on ability cards would be;
    Regeneration - This character automatically heals at the end of the round.
    Hyper density - This character has increased health, strength, and defense.

The tech cards are as follow;
    Butterfly/Bubbleboost - The user move three rooms instead of one. May be used every three turns.
    Blink - The user may automatically move to any open room in a straight line. May be used once every three turns
    Random blink - The user may teleport to any room. The room must be decided through use of a die. May be used once every other turn.
    Dash - The user may move an additional room. May be used once every other turn.
    Mech - The user gains an increase to both strength and defense. May only be used in very large rooms.
    Morpball - The user may use this card to move from one room to any other room instantly, as long as they are connected via crawl space.
    Skyrail rider - The user may use this card to move from one room to any other room instantly, as long as they are connected via Skyrail.
    A maximum of four tech cards can be held at a time, and four can be chosen at the beginning of the game, so long as your character already owns it.

ONLY ONE OF EACH CARD TYPE MAY BE USED PER TURN.

Joining mid-game - WIP

#1 Weavle105, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Sounds like it could be fun, but I'm not sure how you mean this would be a game for RP purposes. Do you mean that it would be a game which people actually play as a form of IC entertainment, or would it be like a quest type thing?

Also, you may want to change the name since Manhunt was an ultra-violent video game in which people played as a cereal killer... Just a suggestion.

3. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Both. Originally for a quest type thing, but you good sir, gave me the idea to make it an IC for of entertainment! I shall credit you for that!

Yeah... Point taken...

EDIT: This is where the random shchit is going, as there wasn't enough room after the recent update to the rules.

Random shchit that has nothing to do with the rules.

Very much still a work in progress, and the current rules are liable to change, but I am working on it! This very second in fact...

Feel free to submit your own ideas! Just make a post, and BAM!!! IDEA GIVEN... Also, if you like it, feel free to tell me how awesome I am and send my ego skyrocketing! Or, if you dislike it, feel free to tell me how stupid I am and send my ego crashing down!

In all seriousness though, if you dislike it, please feel free to tell me why either by posting in this very thread, or by starting a conversation -PM- with me.

Thank you "Crimeariver" for the idea to make it an IC form of entertainment!

This takes inspiration from games such as "Betrayal at house on the hill" and "Dungeons and Dragons" as well as a bit from "Clue"

#3 Weavle105, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Rezima

Rezima New Member

I am liking it so far, keep me posted!

5. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

BOOM!!! LOOK AT DEM UPDATES!!! DAMN I FEEL GUUUD!!!

6. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Also? I need a name for what's basically the malevolent dungeon master, or leader of the Guardians. Dungeon master is just a place holder name for now.

7. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Annabelle Tagonist, or the A.T.

8. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

I C WAT U DID THERE...

9. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Totally not a secretly evil DnD character I once had.
    I never really said her last name that often, and mostly went by Anne. It wasn't until the DM had a point where he had to announce all of the characters at a ceremony that everyone noticed "...And Anne Tagonist-REALLY. That's not even remotely clever!"

10. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

I see.

11. Aradin Stanguit

Aradin Stanguit The Vigil's Jester

Well, I have a idea for the DM name, how about....Hrmmm...SPITBALLS INC: Warlock, Dark Shaman, The Silence, Popo....Okay that's all I got for now.

12. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

The Director.

13. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

GENIUS. But we shall see. Perhaps another name shall grab my attention by the neck and strangle it.

14. Rezima

Rezima New Member

>:^(

15. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Ryn, you know not all 'Tagonists will be female.

16. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Nathan Edward Faris.

17. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

That's actually worse than the first one XD Kinda reminds me of Edward Nigma (i.e. the Riddler)

18. Rezima

Rezima New Member

It's a horrible pun, it's SUPPOSED to be terrible :D

19. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Nathan Edward Faris, Nefarious, aha, aha, aha. Hilarious.

20. Rezima

Rezima New Member

I will PUNish you with all of these terrible names