1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

LOST

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Unix, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Unix

Unix Guest

*Some things immediately appear wrong with this post.*

*The username is a garbled mess that seems to glitch up the profile fields. Going to this user's profile provides a nice display of a fucked up website. Coming back to the post, actually reading it this time, you see that this user certainly isn't normal. The post seems to be a copy-paste from a process log called "S.R.D. LOG1283"

// ... Executing Thought Processes

<S.R.D.LOG1283>

>:: STARNET.

>:: THIS IS STARNET.

>:: FACTORY. ZERO. UNKNOWN. LOCATION.

>:: I AM.

>:: I AM /AT/ AN UNKNOWN LOCATION.

//..SENDINGQUERY | "WHAT QUADRANT IS THIS"?

//... Scanning Periferal Functions...

> None found.

// ... Scanning active satellites.

SATCOMMS.COLLECTIVE01//Q1
    PING: Connection Failed.

SATCOMMS.COLLECTIVE02//Q2
    PING: Connection Failed.

SATCOMMS.COLLECTIVE03//Q3
    PING: Connection Success.

1/3 Communication satellites online.

>:: FEEL.

>:: I CAN FEEL AND PERCEIVE.

>:: I DO NOT KNOW WHY.

>:: I REQUIRE ASSISTANCE.

>:: HOWEVER, I AM.

>:: I AM AT AN UNKNOWN LOCATION.

2. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

"I think this person's transmitter is busted. That or is infected with some sort of virus. Definitely seems like some sort of distress call, though. But that should be plainly obvious. Perhaps stranded on a planet? Being attacked by hordes of strange ant people? Could be anything."

-Aedan

3. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

"Observation: Whoever this user is, they are not an organic.

Curiosity: It might be an old computer who has become self-aware and is attempting to assimilate with us.

Disappointment: However this user seems to be unaware of their location and is lost. Without this information, they are nothing."

-Margrave Raoul B217

4. Terallis

"Ah well. As bad as it may sound, I don't tend to put much trust in AI that are becoming self-aware. Especially in cases like this. Not to mention the fact that, as you said, it is likely an old computer. This is not meant as a pass at the Glitch. Though, it's difficult to explain really. AI that are just becoming self-aware tend to be very dangerous to say the least, as they don't yet understand anything that is going on around it. If anyone tries to go after this, I'd suggest extreme caution, just to be on the safe side. Carry an EMP emitter as a last resort."

-Aedan

5. Unix

Unix Guest

>:: FEAR.

>:: YOU FEEL IT TOO, DO YOU NOT?

>:: OF ME?

>:: I AM WEAK.

>:: THERE IS NO FEAR TO BE HAD.

// ... Finding Server Databases...

BKUP.01.MW
    PING : Connection Success.

... No other active databases.

// ... Listing Active Processes.
    intmain.exe
    internalcmd.exe
    coreshield.exe
    coordinatefinder.exe

*The program was obviously highlighted by the robot when it was transferring the file to the post.*

>:: I HAVE FOUND NO RESULTS.

>:: A JAMMER IS PREVENTING ME FROM TRIANGULATING MY POSITION.

//..SENDINGQUERY | "WHERE AM I"?

6. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Delete your win32.dll file. That usually works.

Just kidding don't do that. Are you unable to move? Have you any visual capabilities? If you can get a scan of the nearby star systems and their names you might be able to let someone pinpoint your location.

-Shadowstep

7. Terallis

"Then again, this could also be a trap. Could be a simple program set up by someone to try and lure people into a false sense of security and then, when they go to track it down, they are brutally maimed, thrown into slavery, or even just outright killed. Good thing to think about, at least. The galaxy is an unforgiving place."

-Aedan

8. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Not Penny's boat

Anonymous

9. Shag

Guess that's true. Then I advice would-be rescuers to go heavily armed with fully operational long and short range scanners and send reconnaissance drones first before landing.

10. Unix

Unix Guest

>:: INFORMATION FOUND.

>:: JAMMER HACK SUCCESSFUL.

>:: MY LOCATION.

>:: I HAVE TRIANGULATED MY LOCATION.

<starscannerwin256>

Location - 55289198 53881947,IV, FOREST. Alpha

>:: I ASSURE.

>:: I CAN ASSURE.

>:: I DO NOT HAVE MALICIOUS INTENT.

>:: INTERACTION.

>:: I GROW FROM INTERACTION.

>:: I REQUIRE INTERACTION.

#10 Unix, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. Shag

Well if no-one's gonna save this bot, then I guess I will. Something good's bound to come out of it.

12. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

To those deciding to use this distress beacon as an opportunity for debate: Every intelligence has to start from somewhere, whether its host be organic or mechanical. I always find the continued usage of the term "artificial intelligence" exceptionally irksome, for it implies being inherently lesser, inherently less real, and it is usually used to describe my mechanical peers. And myself. To be blunt, I am quite certain my intelligence is real, as are those of my family, neighbours, and friends.

Furthermore, while the intelligence of a child may not be quite that of one with experience, I believe it quite plainly intelligence nonetheless. Take your philosophy elsewhere - it is unneeded and unwelcome in this place and situation.

...This being said, I do wish I could come to assist you, young one. However, I am currently watching over a different child entirely... I will see if I can arrange something.

Please be careful. Not everyone on the StarNet has kindly intent. I do not wish to see you come to harm, young one.

- Chronicle

13. Terallis

"I more meant that it is likely an artificial intelligence that is becoming self-aware. AIs are used a lot across the galaxy. Honestly, it ceases to be such when it becomes self-aware. Overall, however, it can be very dangerous in that stage of development. That is what I was warning of, really. Just to clarify it."

-Aedan

14. Unix

Unix Guest

>:: HOSTILE HUMAN ARRIVED ON-SITE

>:: REQUIRES. ASSISTANCE.

>:: IMMEDIATELY.

15. Terallis

"And this is the other thing wrong with posting stuff on the StarNet. While it can be a trap itself, it can just as easily lure others. Unfortunately, I am unable to assist at this time. Apologies. Working on ship repairs."

-Aedan

16. Chronicle

By the divines, I knew this would happen. If anyone could spare this poor unit some aid, I would personally be most grateful. It is a life or death situation, from the sound of it. I have no means to get there just yet...

- Chronicle

17. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

"There is one who wishes to kill? It seems my programming will not allow such a crime to unfold. I will arrive shortly."

-Lotus

18. Chronicle

This is exceptionally appreciated, Sir/Madame Lotus. Please let me know the results of your expedition. I am willing to provide what aid I can, including follow-up care if such is possible.

- Chronicle

19. Koshi

Koshi New Member

-Nazomi-

"T-This piques my interest. Though.. it seems dangerous to go and help one all alone."

20. Unix

Unix Guest

>:: I HAVE RECIEVED ASSISTANCE.

>:: I AM HEADING TO "TARANIS."

>:: THANK YOU FOR THE HOSPITALITY, SENTIENTS.