1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

List of the server's canonical organizations.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hour, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Hour

Hour Dogu

Being moved!

#1 Hour, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Much better.

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

The Avian section needs a bit of work. The Stargazers are PART of the Avian religion. They are usually alluded to be the highest caste in Avian society, being the link between the Clipped Council (leading the Flightless) and Kluex. Which is to say, the definition you posted fits the Flightless better than the Stargazers who, while related, are two separate if intertwined entities.

I will put it this way. There are billions of Flightless, as they are the majority of the population of Avos and whatever colonies it controls, however there are far fewer Stargazers. But, other than that, I won't get into arguing the definition of a cult and such, or the "Jumping off tall things" comment, which is highly inaccurate. Interesting idea, I hope it works out. Might... scan through the codexes a bit harder, though.

At least for truly canonical factions pre-established in the lore.

4. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

I agreed with the guide idea, but if it's objective is informing players, it's forms are terrible, lacking more information of factions/internal organization. Right now it seems a guide to acronyms and basic information to know OOCly what do they mean, rather than helping new players getting a grasp of them.

Agreed. I'm concerned why the apex and florans are a WIP but the avians get that resume when they have a large pool of lore? Instead of pouring your personal bits of information you know of, it could have been better if there was some conv/thread asking of any canon faction. Sending players to pm specific players to know more of their group, when you could do the same and add enough information so there's not even the need only adds more works for them could be good for both newcomers and leaders, too.

I'm still hoping it gets on the right way, I know it's still a WIP and needs time to get shape.

5. Hour

Hour Dogu

Edited! last version was simply a placeholder, I'd like more people to post however, as this is to gather the majority of canon groups that have been established, not just the ones I've heard of.

Until then I'll scan the forums!

6. Keycross

Okay, more pointers about avians.

To make it short the difference between stargazers and loyalists (these latest are extinct or close to), stargazers believe in space exploration and making contact with other sentient races, while loyalists simply wanted to stand their grounds at Avos, defending it to the death. Both groups ended in a civil war centuries ago, with the victory of stargazers.

The Grounded aren't free-spirited avians, they are atheists (don't believe in Kluex neither follows the religion), and they can range between living their own life (these are the most common) to extremists (like the Talons of Avos faction original idea).

Feel free to PM if you have any question.

7. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There's also the distinct lack of the Flightless still. Because if you just call all religious Avians "Stargazers" you're going to offend any Avian who is operating off the actual lore. Just because they worship Kluex does not make them a Stargazer. While the PDF has some interesting lore, the Codex trumps it at the moment. So where there is conflict, go to the codex.

Edit: I'm just... gonna withdraw from this.

#7 Felonious, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  8. Keycross

...This is a complete mess.

First: before writing about a faction you haven't been part of, neither having much knowledge of it (judging from what's written for now) please seek players who meet that criteria and ask.

Second: The loyalists lost centuries ago, and were wiped out... that is still lacking.

Third: Again, Grounded. Please read my previous post. In case you feel lazy:

9. Hour

Hour Dogu

There have since been edits since your post, none of this information is final, if you have something to contribute please do so. I'll be contacting Carn, and those I knew in the Holy Fleet/Stargazer oriented factions for more elaboration soon.

10. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Avians
    The Flightless - Worshipers of Kluex and the common people of Avos and its colonies. The Flightless live their lives in service to the Sunborn, which makes for a pious, ritualistic life even in the day-to-day. They serve many levels in society, as farmers to artisans. However, each of them is faithful. They are guided and led by the Clipped Council and Avian Priesthood, who are in turn led by the Stargazers.
    • The Stargazers - A subfaction of the Flightless, they serve as the highest level leaders of the society, revered as the messengers of Kluex and the link between the Clipped Council and Kluex himself. They are not an every-day sight, even for Flightless, instead serving as the watchers of temples and the interpreters of Kluex's will. They have absolute authority in Avian society.
    • The Clipped Council - Leaders of the Flightless, they are responsible for governing the people of Avos, working as diplomats and carrying out mny of the non-religious rituals of Avos' society. They, along with the priesthood, are responsible for training and choosing Ascendant (those worthy of trial to join the Sunborn).
    • The Holy Fleets - The Avian military. There are a number of Holy Fleets, and each is headed by a Hyperion (who may or may not be an actual Stargazers). The vast majority of its members are Flightless soldiers of different ranks. The Holy Fleets are subject to their Hyperion's will, and by extension, the will of the Stargazers. (The Second Holy Fleet of Avos was one of these).
    The Loyalists - A historical faction that was wiped out during a state of civil war. The Loyalists were individuals who wished to consolidate power by remaining on Avos, rather than seeking to expand once again. They were systematically destroyed after the Stargazers were victorious against them, and after centuries, have faded almost from memory.

The Grounded - Avians who have fallen into the practice of denying, or defying, Kluex. Usually atheistic. Seen by the common people as heretics, they are often secluded and ostracized, and in extreme cases, forced from Avos its colonies all together. They range in ideology from violently extremist to peacefully non-confrontational. Those who commit crimes are subject to the harshest of punishments (such as tarring and sacrifice), so most flee Avos space of their own volition, seeking to form small communities rather than try and coexist with their faithful counterparts. Most Grounded, though giving up the faith, do not abandon the simplistic, ritualistic lifestyle that Avians have (as evidenced by their villages).

(Note: These definitions do not determine canonical lore. They are, though based on codex and observational information, still pieced together and filled in at some places. Ultimately, they represent my outlook formed from the lore given, and discussion between other Avian players. Debate is not just acceptable, but welcome.)

11. Hour

Hour Dogu

Thank you! my knowledge of Avian lore is lacking, however this thread was not supposed to be entirely my doing, making a credits part at the end for a contribution like this!

12. Hour

Hour Dogu

Massive edits!

13. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't the Stargazers make up all Avians that worship Kluex, while Flightless are just Avians in general? I don't know how accurate the .pdf for Avians is, has there been new information released about the Avians that makes what the .pdf says false?

14. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

No. The Stargazers and Flightless are separate. Codex trumps PDF in this particular case. It's possible that the Stargazers were a political party at one point that ascended to a position of religious authority.

Evidence of separation:
    http://starbounder.org/The_Clipped_Council
    http://starbounder.org/The_Flightless_Mandate
    http://starbounder.org/The_Writing_of_the_Texts

I'd actually meant to post particular codex entries, and I'll probably work them in an edit in a bit. For now:
    http://starbounder.org/Methods_of_Excommunication
    http://starbounder.org/The_Commandments_of_Kluex_(first_draft)
    http://starbounder.org/A_Prayer_to_Kluex

A few things on their culture:
    Sacrifice is rare: http://starbounder.org/The_Nature_of_Sacrifice
    A Historian stating that their belief has more basis than other religions (and speaking on even Floran religion): http://starbounder.org/Species_and_their_Gods

15. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Ah, I see. Thank you for the information, guess I should've done a bit more research on the lore.

16. Hour

Hour Dogu

Bump for added content! adding more and more as the day progresses.

17. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Relzurautt Armada: An expansionist collection of ships driven by Utilitarian Ideals. It built it's reputation on it's expansionist policy, harsh laws, and aggressive economic policies. The Armada was a nomadic flotilla consisting of a heavily militarized sector, with a moderate civilian detachment within. In it's history, it was responsible for the absorption of the Carolli Corp and the late Empire. In recent times the Armada is little more than a shadow of it's former glory. Having returned from it's sudden departure with little more than a few limping ships. Most of it's fleet and civilian infrastructure has suffered from obscenely high casualties in a conflict that has been kept classified by the Armada's leader. Currently, the Armada is attempting to take root and leave behind it's nomadic existence for something more stable. It's current goals are not exactly known, but if the past is any judge, Progress and Order will likely take precedent in it's future dealings.

18. Hour

Hour Dogu

What would this be under? I'm sure it falls under the Misc heading, but are they mercenaries, or just a militia with an ideology?

19. Hour

Hour Dogu

Also, requesting a higher character limit on this thread.

20. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I think more along the lines of a militia with their own ideology? I wouldn't coin it as a mercenary group, sheerly because it never offered services in exchange for pixels, so much as it worked with multiple colonies, while trying to enforce it's own sovereignty, while butting heads with the Holy Fleet and having a very tense relationship with the US and Order