1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Let's Make a City-State

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by DeltaV, Dec 29, 2014.

1. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

As you might have gleaned from the title, the idea here is to build up a self-governing city-state in the vein of one of the more successful American utopian experiments or a Greek polis. Essentially, the idea would be that a group of people have sat down and decided to work on making a more civilized, idealistic small-scale society after seeing the clusterfuck that most of Antares has become. We'd start with a few farms and mines and logging camps and the like, and gradually build up a nice idyllic city with actual civilians and industry and the like.

Features would (hopefully) include:

• Actual consequences for crime! Did you shoot someone? I hope you enjoy life in prison.
    - This would hopefully deter people from going and bringing their grizzled merc to get drunk and beat up someone who looked at them funny.
    • Self-government!
    - To reward people who play characters that actually perform useful jobs within the city, every month or so a governing council will be picked from a list of characters with occupations on the planet. These people would vote on laws, try criminals, etc etc.
    • Bootstraps!
    - Starting out would mean a lot of unskilled production jobs in mining and farming and the like with decent profit and pay. This would encourage people to get an actual source of all the money they're using to buy infinite glasses of whiskey. As the city expands, skilled work would also come into play.
    • An actual reason to exist!
    - Unlike my Actual Government proposal, this idea might actually be feasible in the horrifyingly unsafe world of Antares, as there are almost certainly enough people disillusioned enough with the sector that they'd be willing to try to create a utopian city-state.

Thoughts, questions, comments, criticisms, interest?

2. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Seems pretty neat.
    And as for the prison thing, why not team up with that prison RP group and ship criminals off to there?

3. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Asani already does this (more or less, possibly depends on guard), and remember prison rp must be done accordingly. If they are to stay for a sentence (which should be agreed by both parties), offer them something to do. Back in Fleet days, this happened and had to be solved on the run. Remember that it's up for the jailers contacting prisoners first, as they are the ones locking other's character, and in the case something serious happens, exile from the colony is always an option. Have always a set of at least 2-3 possibilities.

Well, personal experience tells me this has low chances on working. Why? Because it's been shown over and over it's mostly involvement, and voting laws should usually be agreed OOCly, but I would really like to see some trial at a point (I remember there were plans in the past for oone, but never came to fruitition).

As for workers, well. Farmers, miners, and other repetitive jobs are taken by very few users. I'm the first one who knows it takes a lot of commitment and soome imagination to keep those interesting, and tends to be mostly OOCly.

Keep in mind that creating a self-sufficient colony means that external relations or trade (one of the latest taboos) will be null (and more resources/production means more players).

I'm not sure what do you mean by this. Survival and keeping colonies safe is always top priority, what could this one have as a new feature?