1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Kahlua's Classes

Discussion in 'Market and Trade' started by Ziggy, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Hello, citizens and visitors of Upside. My name is Kahlua Downsilk, and I'm offering the opportunity for anyone to earn a higher education. Upon completion of one of four courses, you will receive a Council-recognized certificate, which may open new job opportunities in this turbulent job market.

Classes will take place in the Upside town hall at the designated times below. Four classes will be offered, and they are as follows:

* Language: Avian; Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays @ 0700-0900
    * Advanced Piloting; Tuesdays, Thursdays @ 0700-0900
    * Writing Composition; Monday-Friday @ 0900-1130
    * Wilderness Survival*; Monday-Friday @1300-1530

To enroll in classes, be at the appointed place at the appointed time. Each class attendance will cost 20 pixels to be collected before the class starts. Late attendees can still sit in on the classes, though they will still have to pay the fee.

*Wilderness survival class may include a field trip to an uninhabited planet for application of learned skills.

Rules for the courses:

*Leave all weapons outside of the classroom, such as on your ship or in a locker.
    *Respect your peers and your instructor.
    *Ask questions if there's something you don't understand.

((Classroom attendance will take place OOC. Just make a post in this thread if your character is attending the class, and Kahlua will IC collect the fee and your character will IC learn the subject material. Feel free to ask IC questions on this thread to have Kahlua answer them. Attendees only, please. Be sure to list what days your character will attend as well as which classes. Since I'm IRL in a busy learning environment, I won't be available to give classes IC at all times of the day, so Forum learning it is!))

2. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

I'll take the writing composition class.

- Sarah

3. Rowenoak

Rowenoak New Member

I would like to request to participate in an advanced piloting course for Council certification.

~ Quixca

((To what time zone does the listed times correspond so that I can verify if I will be able to participate for sure. Hectic schedule and such.))

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

((Class attendance is Forum RP only; Unless there's an IG event, there won't be any classes held in the physical location. I understand scheduling is an issue.))

I look forward to your attendance! Be sure to sign in by the door.

5. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I'll take your Advanced Piloting class on Tuesdays.
    - MLanski

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Excellent! I look forward to your attendance. I'm really excited to get started with this group of students.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

*Today's Writing Composition Lesson covered an introduction to Writing Composition as a subject; specifically, how to format a paper in a universally recognized format. Kahlua seemed rather bored with the introduction section, but once he was finished with the specifics of margins and spacing, he began to explain the techniques for engaging an audience.*

"I'd like to stress to you, class- Sarah- the importance of adjectives and adverbs. How else can you explain the unbridled bliss of the perfect brisket sandwich without talking about how 'tender' and 'juicy' it was? Using descriptors with your details adds that extra layer of explanation that gives your reader that acute understanding. Sure, you could say 'I had a cucumber salad for lunch. It was good.' And that would be perfectly okay. But to really drive home how pleased you were with the experience, you might talk about how crisp and refreshing the vegetables were. You understand?

When I dismiss you from class in a couple minutes, I want you to think of a subject that greatly interests you, and I want you to bring in a two-hundred word essay in this format next time we meet for class. I want you to convince me that this subject is something that really and truly interests you and I want you to engage me in a way that makes me want to look into it further. Can you do that for me, miss McKinley?"

8. Yotan

Yotan New Member

My think me will take language avian on and writing composition all week. If okay?

~Fernpetal

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I would absolutely love to have you attend my classes! Please be mindful of the fee and be sure to sign in. I look forward to having you.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Fee not problem, me have pixels.

~Fernpetal

#10 Yotan, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

*The class instructor was certainly in a good mood today. Not only did he seem chipper as a woodpecker, the finch brought sandwiches for his students to snack on! Perhaps it was to soften the blow of issuing homework to the two classes.*

"It's important to think of a second language not as a reference to your native language, but think of the language in terms of what already is. For instance, this, in common language, is an apple." *He holds up a very bright red fruit for Fern to see.* "In my language, this is an [INDECIPHERABLE CHIRPING.] Repeat after me." *He continues to hold up and point to different objects and give the avian equivalent words. Rather than a memorization and rote method, he attempts to make Fern understand what each object is in Avian by not speaking in Common. To reference it in their common tongue would be a crutch!*

*Assuming Sarah has turned in her essay, he would pack it into his bag and read it later for critique. As for the day's writing comp class, he explains how to appeal to an audience's interests to further take their attention. Kahlua does of course also touch on proper writing prose to keep everyone formatting their papers properly, though he keeps the class as interesting as he can muster.*

"I know today's Friday, and you're both probably looking forward to the weekend, but this is a writing class. You know you're not getting away without any homework." *He would shoot the students a warm, inviting grin.* "So by Monday, I want you both to have on my desk an eighteen-page essay using everything you've learned to tell me about a past experience that you think has really shaped who you are as a person."

*He lets that megaton assignment sink in for a moment, studying both of the women's faces for their reactions. Eventually, his grin widens, and he returns with:* "Kehe. Just kidding. April Fools. You don't have to write an eighteen page essay. But when we meet on next Wednesday, I will want a two-page essay on the same topic, so you have plenty of time to write. Enjoy your weekend, ladies."

12. Yotan

Yotan New Member

During the language class Fernpetal would completely admit the was unprepared for it. She had heard Ziggy choo and chirp before and to some success she would mimic it but this. This was a whole new think. Like a prey starting at it's attacker with a completely stare right before the final strike. Throughout the class she would repeat and make the connection between the word and the object. However at the moment she is a plant that has beaten off more then she can chew. This stubborn floran was not going to give up...

As for the writing class it was easy in her mind then the language, but she was very shaky still at reading common. Sense Floran's don't have much of a language then pictures and general drawings this was close but smaller. Like pictures with no shape. She could thank Delta for helping her read and write but this class was on a whole new level. Like both class Fernpetal took them very seriously so when Kahlua stated he wanted a eighteen page essay by the next Monday, she immediately started to think of past experiences.

Perhaps when she was with the Stab's tribe and got shot. How she owned her own business then a space station. What about that time when she was in the crash ship with Bork stranded on a frozen planet. Maybe becoming Bork's chief ship engineer and work for him and his business. So many good and bad things. OR...

It was all derailed from her mind when the teacher stated that it was an April Fool's joke. Something she never really understand even when was around this time last year. Was it a yearly thing? Some great ritual where you make fun of someone for laughs? From what she has ever seen today and last year was the ones making this April Fool's joke where the ones just laughing. Needless to say her face was blank and just staring at Kahula for a good long minute with her big black eyes.

After the odd interacting the change to the assignment did cause her to mentally focus back on to the subject at hand. Once dismissed she headed to the beam pad.

1 person likes this.
  13. Pyro_Sanders

Pyro_Sanders Warcrime Sprite Creator

Would like to take wilderness survival class on Fridays

-Azez

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Then I'll see you next week. Don't forget to pack your enthusiasm!

1 person likes this.
  15. Karo

Karo New Member

Looking forward to more of everything. You're doing a fine job with the adv. piloting.
    -K

#15 Karo, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Thank you, Karo. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'd be more than happy to address them.
    -KD

17. Cynirr

Cynirr O15

I would like to partake in a class of Avian language.
    ~Asirris

18. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Classes this week were tough on Fern a bit, specially the Avian Language class. As her natural lisp does cause an issue on some of the more whistling sounds.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

*This morning Kahlua would have been fifteen minutes to class, looking rather guilty, and his clothes would be quite wrinkled. After apologizing profusely to his students, the finch would begin to lead the course. Picking up that Fernpetal may need some remedial assistance, he would offer to work with her after his last course of the day at no extra charge.*

"It's important to remember to control your tongue when you speak Avosian. Depending on where you keep it, you may be blocking air-flow from your throat and stopping yourself from pronouncing some of the trickier syllables."

20. Yotan

Yotan New Member

*Agreed the extra practice in Avosian after his last class would be worth it. It was fun for her going to school. She had never gone before. Fern can see why the other species do this for there kids. They learn and can have fun all day (little does she actually know). Much different from tribe learning. She would be prompt for the after class lesson. As she is tutored she noded several times over and over to what Kahlua explained.*

"Okay okay. So me should use all air in lung to whistle better?"

*As she tried to do this, her whistle sound like a drunk owl after an all nighter from hearing that his wife was cheating on him.*