1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

It makes me very sad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olivia, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Olivia

Olivia New Member

To know that there's quite a few colonies that have hours upon hours of work put into them, and are beautifully built, yet all people seem to do is visit New Chicago. Don't get me wrong, New Chicago is nice, but you never find anyone elsewhere. It's just a damn shame to be honest.

2. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

With all of the new classes in schools starting, this may pick up fairly quickly. Just wait for everyone to get settled into their dorm.. Things are sure to explode soon.

:)

3. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

Theres alot planned. somethings I dont know... somethings I do. I cant say for certain but a big change is coming to Antares. A chapter ended with the wolves downfall... I new one will shortly arrive

4. Olivia

Olivia New Member

I hope the community realises soon that you don't just have to stick to one colony lmao.

5. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

This has happened over the months with different colonies, being a 'hot' one over and over. Since I joined, there were Aiko's bar, Liberty Mills, Wolves Den, now New Chicago... Fortunately or not there's always one which seems to 'draw' most of the traffic, for different reasons. And it will continue to happen.

That's up to each player. You can travel, make alts for different places, etc. But ultimately you can't tell any player what or what not they can do regarding which colony/ies they can stick to.

Remember there have been plans which didn't end well like Stark, Honeydew, or Opportunity. Even careful planning doesn't assure success.

6. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

Valid, but I don't think Olivia meant that they were going to -tell- other people what to do, merely hope that other people would find out about other things to do.

But they can always try! Big groups and planned events bring lots of exposure to the server. It's a good fluctuation to have, IMO.

7. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

I honestly am a bit perturbed to read this. I have worked for hours and hours on New Chicago and the ICIA and there are /reasons/ we are so popular. Most of them pertain to the fact that I am such an active player on the server who doesn't have many glaring major issues with my character. I typically settle most OOC fights where I see people on either side of a conflict (my side or theirs) doing something wrong. Just because you build a beautiful place doesn't mean you stop there. You need to be active, have a faction, and devote time into making everyone who visits feel as welcome as they can. I let people build their homes here, give them a place to live and even sometimes a job. The colony is more or less built more by the community than me.

8. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I hate to be "that guy" but NC is popular because it's the colony of the month. Players often have little impact.

It's new, and it's where many are going, so others follow for potential RP.

Sadly, as has been shown many times before, when something new comes out, NC may likely by forgotten under the rug like many before it.

9. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This is accurate. There are a lot of things that feed into popularity, and migration mentality is one of them. A new hot place opens up, and circumstances willing, people go there. Most characters are migratory. They don't have any loyalty to a colony, they just go where people are. If you want a colony to last a long time, you inspire some kind of nationalism with people (Something that's actually really hard to do when people can have alts.) If characters don't put down strong roots, and actually show loyalty to the city, rather than just using it as a dumping ground for their stuff and a place to lay their head, they migrate. Loyalty is good. Even if you only get a trickle of loyal traffic at times, it assures you remain alive.

Chances are, of course, that as people grow tired of NC, or as core characters are forced/moved out by circumstance, they'll move on to the next settlement.

Another note. HOW DARE YOU! Factions are not a requirement to having a settlement. In fact, I think some secularism in that department would be nice. Factions don't need to have their own planet all the time, that just spreads people out and discourages the formation of factions and causes settlements to become over-abundant. There needs to be a ruling body, certainly. Leadership, maybe a local constabulary. But a full faction just turns the place into a club-house.

Open building is good, but not a requirement. LM was rather successful, and while not totally restricting, it had rather heavy handed control on who built where and what.

All in all, I fear I must agree with Malachar. Unless there's a glitch in the system, all data points to New Chicago roaring strong for a while, and then being overcome by a new settlement.

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

People mention the flavour of the month thing, and that does happen. But New Chicago seems to have sucked up more people than any single planet that has existed before on the server. There would usually be at least two popular planets at any one time. For a while it was Avalon and Tallest tree, for a while it was Taranis, Liberty Mills, and Marathon. For a while it was Taranis, New The Den and Union.

There were usually at least two or three flavours of the month, but currently New Chicago is like the only one.

I really like New Chicago, I really do, but only being able to RP there is getting a bit stale. Variety is the spice of life.

11. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Hehe, clearly you weren't around when the ENTIRE SERVER showed up on Liberty mills. I know it was a once-off, but it was crazy.

And NC really only has Avalon-level popularity. Nothing new.

12. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

70 people?

13. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

It was a wonderful day, despite the drop in my frames.

14. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Something that didn't save Avalon.

And I'd argue there are a few popular places, though none of them scratch NC's population at the moment.

15. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

NC may be the most popular, but I'm expecting to see what happens in the future and see if it can survive as Taranis or Alioth, which have been built months before it.

Why? Because they have loyal players/residents. That's one of the few things which can keep a colony running, not being popular. Like real life, when something stops being popular, or there's a similar one which is getting popular, players begin to move. It has happened, it happens, and it will probably continue happening.

16. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Id love to see the Gulch filled. It looks really nice.

17. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Agreed. Gulch has a lot of work put into it yet no one is there. What with my limited time Im going to see what I can do to get some folks there.

18. Olivia

Olivia New Member

I personally love the look of the Gulch, but I also love the steampunky and dirty industrial feel that Liberty Mills has having visited it and enjoying the look of it.

19. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

The Interactive door teleports is insanely cool

20. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Liberty Mills is the only one on the list that had hours of work, was beautifully well built, with a theme, and some background lore, AND was popular for a brief span.

From what I've seen with the Flavor-of-The-Month popularity,
    Aesthetics and Background don't seem to play a huge role.
    That little tidbit is part of what's led to my burnout :p
    It's why I tend to avoid RP in certain areas or with certain people,
    There's differences in roleplay style.
    Some people want superficial Badassitude/Cuteface/Etc.
    Others want stuff to play out like a story, with characters over Depthless Trope Personifications.
    The same applies to colonies :p

If it were otherwise, Alioth Prime, Tetanus Fields, and a couple others would have been much more popular. I also, now understand why Alioth Prime was private and exclusionary for so long, besides the fact that it took ages to build.

EDIT: I didn't include Gulch because it's still an itty bitty baby :p
    But Aiko put a lotta love into it. And it' backstory is heavy :3
    And the governing of it as far as the Doc, Sheriff, and Mayor was in part inspired by LM's gig for representing the Zelena, Solari families and their Mayor.

(Protip those three are the Triad, Ironclad for Life :3)