1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Idea - Space Interpol

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Unix, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unix

Unix Guest

I have been getting the urge to make a politically inclined character - but one with good alignment, rather than evil bureaucrat person. And I got the idea - why isn't there a universally organized police agency?

Well, every faction hates each other. There's that.

But if they didn't have to directly talk to each other, and rather transferred their information to a middleman - along with getting assistance from resident agents and stuff - I think that Space Interpol would be a pretty rad idea.

The problem would be getting people to join space interpol. Anybody willing/onboard?

2. techno_spider

techno_spider New Member

Sounds cool, but doesnt the USMC do that?

3. Unix

Unix Guest

The USCM ( assuming you spelled it wrong ) does not do that. I'm talking about a politically neutral organization like /actual/ real world Interpol.

(( if you don't know what that is for some reason here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpol ))

4. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

maybe
    the laws would have to be justified and agreed upon as a basis for all laws
    then as in America, each state (or colony in this case) will have their own laws, but by law the universe must obey some simple and agreeable ones
    for example:
    slavery is illegal
    murder is illegal without justification
    cult-like behavior that instigates murder
    etc.

5. Unix

Unix Guest

That's what I was already thinking. A list of laws that are declared affairs that Space Interpol could intervene in.

6. techno_spider

techno_spider New Member

That actually, now that I think about it, sounds pretty good.

7. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

this sounds like the most evil thing ever

have fun outlawing florans that are not inherently bad for practicing slavery, defining what is and what isn't a cult on an universal basis, pushing your own laws and ideas that are going to be the product of your culture and philosophies to all the colonies

8. Unix

Unix Guest

PSSSHT PESSIMIST

I have some plans already, but shit like that is a bridge we cross when we get there.

EDIT : Also, this isn't like a WE ARE THE PARAGON OF JUSTICE AND YOU DO WHAT WE SAY thing.

It's a HEY IF YOU WANT OUR HELP AND CRIMINALS WHO COMMIT CRIMES IN YOUR COLONY ARE HIDING AND GOING INSIDE OTHER COLONIES AND DOING OTHER BAD THING'S WE'LL STOP THEM

BUT WE'LL ONLY HELP IF IT INVOLVES ONE OF THESE LAWS : blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahmurderrapearsonotherstuff

9. techno_spider

techno_spider New Member

I guess this could be done, but it would probably end up being portrayed as a rather evil and disliked faction lol
    EDIT: a bit like the judoon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judoon they'll just piss people off

10. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

The big thing with this is actually getting a place with your own jurisdiction. You may be able to enforce said law on your own planets, but getting to the point of doing it galaxy-wide would require more than that. Primarily because the galaxy has its major areas that are governed by major bodies. And each area has its own laws, as well. Just mentioning that, because of that fact, galaxy-wide laws would be difficult to even situate, much less enforce.

11. Unix

Unix Guest

I believe that people are misinterpreting the matter.

We would be /available for help with criminal investigations/, we're not trying to /completely unify the galaxy/. We are the middlemen, and we can only do what the governments we're aligned with allow us to - at least in their juristiction.

12. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Hm. I like this idea. I'd be willing to create some kind of office or whatever that would be Space Interpol's HQ if need be.

If a method of fixing Lotus' programming can come into play, then she would be more than willing to help in this. She was made to create peace, after all. Even if a few heads roll in the process.

13. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

For once, I'm behind one of your ideas. Pretty much a lawful good politically-neutral Criminal Investigations Service. I liek. Maz would liek.

Now I just need to get a reason to actually want to talk to the character of yours starting this.

14. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

there is nothing wrong with this oocly, but on an ic standpoint the enforcement of laws not everyone agrees on is very controversial and that is how lawmaking works in real life, so you need the general populace's opinions

15. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

In other words: yes.

16. Unix

Unix Guest

we would only enforce said laws if the governments allow us to in /their juristictions/, on a case-by-case basis.

17. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Along with this, Space Interpol could easily act as a Universal Court that could hold trials and such. There would be no bias since Space Interpol is just there to keep peace, after all.

18. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

What he said. You can make all the rules and laws you want, it's getting people to agree to be a part of it that's going to give you problems.

It's a neat idea, one we tried to bring in with the Marshal Service. But good luck getting everyone to agree to it.

19. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

Technically--and Unix/Sixxon/Moar correct me if I am shoving this idea into the mud with misinterpretation--their goal isn't necessarily to make EVERYONE agree with EVERYONE'S diverse laws or even their own "standard" laws. Their goal is something more to the effect of "Oh, someone clearly murdered an innocent on your planet, X, then fled to hide on Planet Y to avoid the penalty of your law? That's not right! We'll gladly nab them alive and bring them back here to be tried for their crimes." or "Your daughter was wrongfully kidnapped and is possibly being either tortured or sold as a slave? That's terrible! We'll do what we can to locate her and bring her back alive."

Of COURSE they'd be a bit hesitant in matters along the lines "Your cultural laws dictate that you must 'Kill Sssstab kill sstaab sstab sstab' anyone who you think looks funny and the innocent bystander you were going to kill-stab fled the planet in fear when he caught on to your intentions? ...Well good luck with that." or "You visited planet Y and saw someone commit something that's a crime on planet Z? ...Ok, so what?"

It's an employable galactic law enforcement agency who act completely within the laws of the individual settlements and can only act outside of said laws when the leaders of said settlement throws their support with them and allow them to do such. This is especially true when the settlements meet the "generic" criteria outlined in their tenants of upholding proper justice, which ultimately no matter what culture, species, beliefs, or morals are represented is a consistent theme in any organized system that isn't run by a sadistically insane crime lord that just wants to kill everyone and doesn't care who/what/where/when/why. People don't like it when other people do mean things to them, and they want the mean people to be punished for being mean to them.

20. Unix

Unix Guest

You got it mostly right.

However, we probably won't attempt to incorporate settlements that allow slavery anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.