1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

I guess this counts....

Discussion in 'Art & Graphics' started by John_McFakename, Mar 1, 2015.

1. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

I've been f**king around with the sign-making in-game out of boredom after discovering it's essentially pixel-art.

So here's my two first creations. Oggle at them and justify my existence!

[​IMG]

On the left we have a portrait of John M893-CV, and on the right a portrait of Marcomanni.
    Currently my main problem with these boredom-projects is that I can't just copy the colour-codes from Photoshop, so the colouring is waaaay off. I tried to get the shading at least right.

Considering the limitations my timezone adds to my RP on the server, I could do commisions (for free, no way I'm taking money for this s**t) if someone wants their character as a potrait. Weighting whether or not doing it as an IC thing or not at the moment, but I can do these OOCly for now.

What I need for making a portrait is a simple image of the character, preferably while against a background that doesn't blend with the character's colours, while standing on platform-blocks so they feet don't clip into the blocks he/she stands on.

Kthxbai!

Edit: Poke @Roflmaozors

#1 John_McFakename, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. John_McFakename

And third creation done:

[​IMG]
    Zeta

@Orsaa

3. Orsaa

Orsaa New Member

I don't know what to say. It is brilliant.

4. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

C... Can I have a Tarl Hollow?

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Honestly, a pretty great idea. I'd like this post if us mods were allowed to like anything anymore. Have this comment instead.

6. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I can help creating a background for the portrait from game assets if anyone is interested, maybe some simple posing too. (Mainly sitting)
    If John is okay with this and maybe group up on it? :)

7. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I haven't had too much time to screw around with this myself. Is the signage not just drawables, John?

8. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

No, there is a sign creator program somewhere to allow this.

9. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Ah, I will have to find it then. I can think of several uses for this. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be very appreciated.

10. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

There is a sign creator npc in the outpost.

11. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

the sign creator is way to awkward to use for me
    Is there any other way to do this?

12. John_McFakename

*returns after sleeping off the all-nighter* Holy s**t all these questions.

Get me a picture of the character and I'll have it done by tomorrow.

2. How I made these?

The NPC at the outpost that allows one to make 4x1 signs. Each portrait I made is four of those stacked on top of eachother. Anyone with the time and patience could make one if they have a good image to use as a model (I literally copied them by hand, pixel-by-pixel. Problem with the colours is that the sign-NPC doesn't use colour-codes, instead you have to click on the desired colour from a preset-pallet. Regardless, making one took about an hour after I got the hang of it. Protip: Start by making the legs first).

13. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I was thinking of your colour biz, and I have a solution.
    I cracked open the Json for a sign. Pretty similar to any other starbound colour. It`s just a hexcode! Copy the colour coding out of Starbound and into word, copy the hexcode palette off of the character in photoshop, and then replace all over the respective code. Should let you get accurate colours, as well as implement a background.

Realistically looking at the code, I think it would be pretty easy to write a bit of script that converts images to signs.