1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hylotl lore

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Clem, Apr 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

History only, biological nature is still a hot topic.

Hylotl History

--- Chronicles of the Hylotl

The Hylotl knew relative peace between their major clans under the guidance of their Emperor. Space flight marked the beginning of rapid expansion over a widespread area around the Hylotl home world, and new colony worlds and settlements were established. Each sector was governed by the clans that settled in it.

They prospered, free to pursue science, literature and other arts the Hylotl enjoyed. Eventually, contact was established with other space-faring species, with the Florans being the last to be discovered. It also proved to be their most dangerous encounter. What resulted was a war that would have resulted in the extinction of the Hylotl, if it were not for the clans. The Emperor failed in his guidance for the clans against the onslaught that the Floran unleashed, leaving the clans to organize themselves.

The Hylotl lost much territory to the Floran in the later stages of their onslaught, culminating in the loss of the Hylotl homeworld. A devastating blow that would change the course of Hylotl history, forever. A new figure arose in the midst of chaos, the Supreme Shogun. The clans that once were scattered by this unending conquest were united by a Supreme Shogun of a single clan.With the Supreme Shogun, the Hylotl saw hope for a brighter future and used this renewed vigor to launch a successful and swift strategic counterattack against the Floran that drove them back to their own territory. The attacks would be swift and often irregular in pattern and tactic, this caused the Floran adaptability to be of no use to them. The campaign lasted until the Floran were pushed back into their own territory.

This left time for the Hylotl to rebuild, reform, and give way to new teachings. Teachings that allowed them to claim their place among the stars while still valuing life and living peacefully. They began to understand that peace sometimes needs to be a achieved through the subtly named "forced diplomacy". If talking does not help, a show of military force might convince their would-be foes to stand down.

With a solid empire guiding the Hylotl towards the future, many are now ready to set their eyes once again to the stars for opportunity and adventure. Where will the stars take you?

Note on pacifist Hylotl:

While the majority of the Hylotl have moved on from the old teachings, some still follow them. Despite their old ways, they are not shunned or hated for it. Most other Hylotl respect these individuals, and see them as honorable.

Note on New Teachings:

As mentioned in the Chronicles, the teachings encourage diplomacy first, use of force second. This has reduced the number of crimes caused by alien visitors dramatically. Outright attacking a sentient species without a proper reason is highly disrespectful, and will result in intense punishment if committed within Hylotl territory. Floran who are still highly uncivilised are always kindly requested to take their leave if they cause too much distress within the local Hylotl populace. If not complying, they would be removed forcefully with varying results.

--- Current political structure of the Hylotl

Government of the Hylotl is currently led by a Supreme Shogunate when in times of war, who calls the Empires forces to unite and remove the threat. Outside war times, the Supreme Shogunate governs the Empire with the Supreme Shogun acting as a sort of prime minister. These individuals are elected from the Daimyos of the major clans.

A sector is governed by the clan having the most power within that specific sector. It is determined by law that a clan cannot own more than ten Habworlds with a population reaching a population of averaging 3.5 billion. If a new Habworld is colonized, a minor clan will be elected by the Supreme Shogunate to become a major clan.

The layers of bureaucracy between these ruling bodies are ministers and their departments. Their duties range from arranging day-to-day administration and requests, to the creation of laws and enforcing edicts created by the ruling bodies.

Diplomacy done on a clan-to-clan level by minor clans is usually done to gain more political power or form alliances to unite with other clans, with the hopes of becoming a major clan.

Diagram of Hylotl political structure.

http://i.imgur.com/ZaClkEg.png

Glossary of titles.

Supreme Shogunate

Supreme Shogun : Leader of the Hylotl
    Emperor : Imperial Leader, Ceremonial Role

Major Clan

Daimyo : Major clan leader
    Samurai : Major clan warriors
    Minister Court : Sector-wide ministry

Minor Clan

Nobility : Samurai of that clan
    Elite Soldiers : Warriors of that clan
    Clan Members : Family members, citizens.

4 people like this.
  2. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Looking good to me. I like the fact that Hylotl aren't 100% pacifistic and have a more fleshed out culture now. Feudal systems are always cool.

I do have to note that somebody has left a dislike without a reason. If you leave a dislike, nothing will change, so please do take the time to voice your opinions; it's the only way to make a difference.

3. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

This is literally just feudal Japan, right down to the titles used. It lacks originality. Hylotl culture is meant to be inspired by oriental culture, not literally Japanese history. Also the sudden introduction of 'Clans' seems strange, as it's never been something that's commonly used or even mentioned either in serverlore or official lore.

Changing the Hylotl to not be pacifists is something I entirely disagree with as well. They're a diplomatic race. The only soldiers they should have should be to protect important people. They should be specially trained (possibly from birth, but that's debatable) and considered lower than peasants because of what they are. This is the entire reason they couldn't defend their homeworld. The florans had superior numbers and adaptability, and combined with the Hylotl's lack of a real army it created a situation in which the Hylotl couldn't possibly win. Sure, they'd have learned from this and possibly created a more formidable fighting force, but by no means should these soldiers be considered commonplace. It just seems like a way of getting out of having to RP a pacifist without any real thought, to me.

#3 Awe, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
  4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I have to agree with the points Awe's made, as it's fairly close to my initial reaction.

5. ManyFacedFool

ManyFacedFool New Member

I'm with Awe and Kaltor. I really don't have much else to say about it, other than I doubt 'sporadic and changing tactics' would help much against the Floran anyway, and a non-militaristic race losing a vast amount of territory and their HOMEWORLD would have a hard time launching a counterattack, especially against a race like the floran who breed very, very quickly and would populate those worlds in short order. Not only that, but Floran don't have typical military structure, they aren't going to retreat en-mass. And planets are huge, and floran don't have traditional reproduction. It'll be like Orks. If you DO manage to wipe them out, you'll start bumping into them again a few months later as the last batch of seeds matures. And by the time you muster a force to stop them, they've planted more. Even worse on less populated worlds.

Which is TERRIFYING.

But also, this is very much just "Japan in space". Hylotl deserve better.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

So I have read over Clem's suggestion I do like that the Hylolt are not pacifist as well in agreences with Haplap. I do agree that it is like a feudal japan system which my not fit.

Is there way to have the hylotl of keep to CF lore of how uppity they are and their pacifist side, but do the military side. Maybe they follow Bushidō per-say. Where they may not have a military persay but the homeworld security/police is their enforcement and that is where is stays. Except for the occasial detectives sent out to look of criminals and what not that has done crime againt the Hylotl. Maybe even have it that all hylotl male and female have a mandatory "enforcement" service for a couple years. Enforcement being security/police. Which mandatory service is a South Korea thing.

As a suggestion but maybe take bits and piece of all the oriental reign cultures for the hylotl lore. That way there is a good amount of diversity in the Hylotl culture with out the focus on a specific Asian nation.

#6 Yotan, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
  7. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I believe their pacifism is actually admireable and it should remain a core part of their identity.
    It may be a bad thing, but I use Jack's personality as a template for the average Hylotl warrior's personality.
    I don't think the Hylotl would bother trying to retake a lost world after they had established a new home.
    The new NPC interactions do show they now have an honour guard/more warriors to avoid it happening again, but they don't have an invasion army. I believe their comparitively small military is focused on defense rather than offense.

(18:56)

8. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

That's pretty much Kuro's whole deal.