1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hylotl Breathing

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Pyro_Sanders, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pyro_Sanders

Pyro_Sanders Warcrime Sprite Creator

So uh, I'm not sure if there's a specific format. Anyways. Can the Hylotl breath underwater? I mean, they have gills visible on the player model.

2. Yotan

Yotan New Member

In my opinion. While I am not the hylolt resident expert. I say yes, but not the good as the gills are becoming more vestigial they get when an hylolt becomes an adult. To me that makes sense. Like most amphibians going from tadpoles to adult frogs/toads.

#2 Yotan, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  3. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

But what about the possibility of Hylotl sub-species being more fish-like coming that are produced via fish-spawn?
    They could have more functional gills.

Just as there are owl-like, eagle-like and so forth Avians.

4. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Honestly the sub-likes should be view exactly at the race as a whole. Just like you have Africans, Asians, Europeans, etcetera are all still humans.

Secondly making/having sub-species in the current races is really splitting hairs. All races should just remain as a whole.

When it to the Hylotls I like the whole amphibian/fish hybrid combination of the race. Best of both but weakness of one. Again I am not the resident hylolt expert.

But CF official introduction stats:
    The Hylotl, a proud amphibious species, were concerned with beauty. It's what drove them, the pursuit of perfection. Through years of living under the ocean, they developed empathy towards all other species, with a strong desire to reach out and save all living things. As such, they were pacifists and herbivores, content to simply live in peace until one day they were forced out of their homes, and off-world entirely, by the dreaded Floran menace.

Now that I read this... the gill would be fully functional as the "years of living under the ocean".

I guess take back what I said about the vestigial comment.

5. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Still, we can expand a little for extra variety. Avians are still whole and they have a varied plethora of different sub-species based off birds while all are still referred to as Avians.

Why cant Hylotl have this too?

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Here is the thing. From what it sounds like. You want hylotl's to have a sub-species with abilities or racial traits that differ from each other. Sure there are variations in the appearance of Avians, but they don't have variant traits in their race. Besides. This will create a snow ball effect. If one race gets variants with different traits, than other people playing other races will want the same. Then you have this cascading effect with the race where one races has so many variants then the races on the server start growing from just seven races to who knows how many. How do we start categorizing races? Do we include variants? How are the traits created or goverened.
    Race:
    Variant:

Do you see what I am saying?

Variant looks are fine for obvious reasons, but what you are asking for. To me that is not fine.

7. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

The only difference would be.
    The gills, really. Fish-like would have functional gills, more Amphibian-like wouldnt.

8. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Is that or is that not creating a variant sub-species with different traits than others of their race? Besides there is not fish-like. CF lore states amphibious, not fish.

9. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

It'd only mean that besides visual differences, there would only be Hylotl with gills and those without. Those would be the only defining traits between these sub-species.

I also remember an Avian owl with the ability to spin its head like an owl, dont recall who it was but it was done and accepted.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

No that is not what you previously stated.

So the one and only source of information is based off a could have or has been person that happen to play it? Was this in the earlier days of the server where the lore was not as restricted, or the rules were looser then a 20 dollar Broadway hoe?

Do what you want.

I simply feel that we should stick to what CF has lore wise and only plug the holes that exist. Not create bigger problems or problems down the road.

I don't see why the gills can't be vestigial after all and the hylolts can have the ability to breath through their skin. Again I would leave it up to the player and not create a sub-species.

But Hell your the resident expert on Hylolts, Khaltor is the resident expert on both Floran and Gltich (cause of the guides), Cole is the expert for humans, and than you have Angre, Lyro, Haplap plus a few other that are the expert on Avians.

All we need is one for the novakid and apex, then nobody else's but those expert opinions matter any more.

Again do what you want..

11. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

amphibians lose their ability to breathe underwater as they mature, only Hylotl spawn, the tadpole ones, can survive underwater.
    it's in one of the armour item descriptions

BUT

racial bonuses may become a thing one day, apparantly that's a planned feature, so either Hylotl will get underwater breathing/longer capacity to stay underwater(like undead in wow) or faster swimming, i guess...

So it's possible CF will retcon that.
    Because at one point they said Hylotl are also herbivores, so they don't eat meat/fish.
    Then they release sushi as one of the Hylotl foods...

Originally the itemdescription said that this sushi didn't contain fish, but some avesmingo or other replacement.
    So perhaps they do eat fish then? Perhaps CF retconned that?
    Perhaps Hylotl will be able to/can breathe underwater... I think this is the sort of thing that could be up to community vote/wait untill we get the next update which /should/ have more Hylotl lore, because of the Hylotl library dungeons and hylotl underwater cities.

12. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

And its this inconsistency thats bugging me miles on end. Patching the holes just doesnt fix the big gaping gash thats on the other side, the side you cant reach. Since mechanically, Hylotl can eat every food while they said they're herbivores? With the combat update this should've been implemented but it wasnt, so what am I to believe now? Hylotl remain omnivores or are herbivores but only because it was said as a possibility?

The stuff that was available for lore at the very beginning, that was good to some degree. But then their main lore writer left and the inconsistencies started to happen.

I'm for something based off that, with stuff that makes more sense rather than necessary fluff to 'just make it work'. Something that will allow Antares to stop looking at CF for them to fix these errors. Because from what I have seen, its not going to happen. In the end there will be some missions and a loose story, some big end boss at the end mission and then its 'done'.

13. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Frankly I don't see this as hard as you might. Sure CF lore is a bit... missing. Fixing the holes and filling the gaps is not that hard.

Since we are on the subject of hylolt let go off that.

Cf says they are amphibious. That is your start.

Better yet, look at Hylotls like Salamanders or newts. Which is a good cross between fish/amphibians.

Early stages of hylolt can breath in water, while later in life the gills are vestigial and they are limit breathing through skin like most frogs. Still breath through their lungs as an adult is most of their oxygen intake. Think of the gills like a humans appendix.

Diets. Amphibians are opportunistic when food comes up. Being that Hylotls spend their life in the ocean. Why not say the hylotl are omnivores when it comes to the ocean type foods, but when dealing with surface/other race based foods they are herbivores/insectivores.

Really if you want to make stuff the "Make sense" then look at what the Hylotls are based off of. CF says they are amphibians, then go with that. Do some research.

14. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I do like to entertain the races thing, but then Nightshade's gonna be a subspecies of Floran which has a lot of similarities with deadly nightshade :p...

But in all seriousness, I think any "races" should only have differences when it comes to visual things, not abilities, at that point we're not talking about different races like caucasians, asians, ... But more like a toad and a frog... They "may" have had a shared ancestor at some point, but if they've evolved to not only be distinguishable by visual, and instead have this ability to breathe underwater while the other doesn't, then you're talking different species, not race.

also:

Frogs:

Need to live near water to survive.
    Have smooth, moist skin that may look or seem slimy.
    Have a narrow body with round eyes that bulge.
    Have many predators.
    Have long hind legs that help them take long, high jumps.

aside of that last one, Hylotl are probably similar to frogs, but frogs also don't breathe underwater, frogs are amphibians, hylotl are amphibians, makes sense, doesn't it?

15. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

mechanically we can eat automatos as humans... metal vegetables... the mechanics make no sense...

Oculemon are supposedly poisonous to anyone but Florans, yet anyone can eat them...
    same for the apex's genetically modified bananas
    etc etc
    game mechanics do not equal lorce accuracy necessarily

16. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I agree with you Khaltor, but there is more amphibians then just frogs. I feel that it best to find the more fitting type of amphibian that is similar to hylotls.

17. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

perhaps the Axolotl which it is based on?

1 person likes this.
  18. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

1 person likes this.
  19. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

though then the issue becomes /can/ Hylotl breathe out of water?

20. Yotan

Yotan New Member

agreed