1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

How do you make colors transparent in SBSE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greymanz, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Greymanz

Greymanz Member

Hi all, I has a question.

How do you make a character slightly transparent/ghostly?
    Ive seen it done, on Taranis there was a hologram guy who you could see the walls and decoration behind him.
    Why I want this done is so my character, Blackfoot, could live on as a ghost and possibly possess a new body.
    So, while answering this question, I want to see if something like this could be canon, considering all the weird junk that happens on our world.

2. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

You want to make a ghost character?
    what

3. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Ghosts dont exist. The closest you can get is cloning - which is very expensive, and requires an IC friend with that kind of funding, plus lots of time. Even then, they would still need a sample of his DNA to even begin which they won't have because he got offed on some off world place.

4. Greymanz

Greymanz Member

Well, my term for it is a ghost. Perhaps, if you wanted to make it more canon, you could say that I was an AI created after my death, caused by an unknown source. Anyways, a ghost could fit nicely into the universe, it would be a unique character, unseen by others, yet its words could be heard. It would be always on Taranis, being that the most remember able place before his death, and its not like we dont have real, yet not real beings in the universe as it is. It wouldnt be too out of proportion so that it wouldnt fit in the canon, it would be an occasional word heard, a man sitting at the table, then gone, stuff like that. I think it could be a nice change.

5. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

no
    just no

6. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Nope, no. You can't use "i-it's a robot" to bypass being a race that isn't allowed. Like, if someone made an hyper-realistic, robotic, anthropomorphic fox girl with double d breasts, would that be possible in this universe? Yep, sure seems like it would be. Would it be good for roleplay if everyone was allowed to walk around as super realistic robo-furries? Hell no. That's bypassing the rules to create a custom race.

7. Greymanz

Greymanz Member

Welp, how are AI's, and HOLOGRAMS allowed? Wouldn't they be considered a custom race? I mean, a ghost is a dead race, so i cant possibly consider that a custom one. If it is, please, clarify how a projected image of a race, and a digital, non living version of a race, are allowed. If they aren't, there needs to be some explaining, because its fairly common. Im not going to go against authority, but if others are and they arent getting a warning for it, then theres a problem.

8. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Holograms can be seen, and are projected by some sort of nearby source (Normally some sort of nonviolent, small, mobile device with a projector attached to it). They aren't quite invisible, untouchable, and invincible things that can only be heard, and they're typically non-combatant; besides, it sounds like this guy would only be an annoyance.

And bringing back dead characters? Frowned upon. Clones and holograms are kinda cheap. Death should be more permenant than that, IMO.

9. Greymanz

Greymanz Member

Ok then, ill take your word on that. I wont do it. Sorry, I came up with an idea, and I guess all my ideas arent that great.

10. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

[​IMG]
    In seriousness, a goast wouldn't be allowed.

11. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

I still think the question stands, though, on how to make something transparent, given that it has a lot of uses outside of making ghosts. Anyone know how to do it?

12. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Hex codes with alpha. A normal color hex is, for example, #ffffff -> #ff , ff , ff -> #R , G , B. Those two characters represent a color.
    With alpha, they look like #ffffffff -> #ff , ff , ff , ff -> # ALPHA, R, G, B.

If you don't want to use starcheat, SBSE Desktop lets you modify the alpha layer quite easily. If for some reason you can't use it, you'll have to use starcheat to add the extra characters on the hex codes.

13. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Gotcha. Thanks!