1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

House Tybalt [Heavy WIP]

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Revenant, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Revenant

Revenant New Member

[Note: I realize that I will probably need to become a well-known and dedicated member of the community to be allowed the privilege to run my own faction. Despite this, however, I would like to put this post up to gather interest for this idea that I've certainly wanted to try out. Please let me know what you think of what I put down here and if you would be interested in making a character under this faction. Any feedback helps, positive or negative.]

Here's a little bit of ambiance just to get you in the mood.

[​IMG]
    House Tybalt
    "A man should be as skillful with his weapon as he is his quill." - King Engerrand

Synopsis
    House Tybalt is a human-ruled feudal kingdom reigning over one of the many planets within the galaxy. Ruled by King Engerrand, his rule has been both loved by his subjects and hated by his enemies; being renowned across the kingdom for being a strict but fair ruler as well as an excellent military strategist. Despite the clearly dated Feudal system which House Tybalt uses to rule, it has adapted to the introduction of the other races that inhabit the galaxy alongside humanity as well as the introduction of modern technologies for both civilian and military use. Since the kingdom's founding, all races have been welcomed to migrate and live alongside one another within the realm as well as prove themselves worthy to take such titles as knights and nobles.

History
    [WIP]

Organization
    [WIP]

[WIP]

[WIP]

[WIP]

Military
    [WIP]

[WIP]

Civil & Economics
    [WIP]

[WIP]

[WIP]

1 person likes this.
  2. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

This sounds interesting.

3. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Well this makes 0 sense, lorewise.

4. Caws

Caws birb

Not everything has to fit into some complex-as-fuck lore.
    This is why this subforum is called Roleplay Planning.
    edit: betcha if he tried to do this with Glitch you wouldn't complain

5. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Would it not be better for this to be of Glitch origin rather than Humans?
    Since Humans have well evolved /past/ the Medieval ages.

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

It doesn't seem to fit with the setting/background of the humans.
    But technically, you could potentially do it? It just seems not to make much sense to me.
    Why not be a Glitch faction instead? It's basically got the Glitch aesthetic all over it.

7. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Dude just let it go.

8. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Can't, I'm not an angsty blonde haired disney princess, with frost powers.

9. Revenant

Revenant New Member

Quite possibly, yes. I probably should make it clear that I'm still extremely new to the general Starbound lore as well as the lore written by this community which is probably why you'll see a ton of lore inaccuracies and what-not. I probably should have put a disclaimer at the top explaining that but there you go.

I simply wanted to write this out and see what the verdict was. From the speedy responses so far I'll probably edit this to make it more in-line with the server lore to avoid raising an angry mob. If not I'll simply remove the thread.

10. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

And it doesn't have to be old feudal system, it could be a high tech one. like. This faction has a lot of guns and bodies help protecting it. You want to be portected? Pledge your allegiance.

11. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Well, I mean...
    It's not that it's necessarily /wrong/.
    It's just a bit odd. It'd make more sense if it were a Glitch thing.

12. Caws

Caws birb

He did state that it was a cross between current-day and medieval technology with a feudal-kingdom-esque government.

13. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

OKay I can get sci-fi gear that looks like medieval shit, yeah. Knights with kevlar BDUs and shotguns.

14. Revenant

Revenant New Member

Well, at least I've got a good range of opinions so far. Thank you all for the feedback, I'll get to writing up the rest to try and make it so that I have justification and explanations as to why I'm writing what I'm writing to keep everyone happy and doesn't make anything server-side crash and burn once I've got time as I'm currently drowning in college assignments. please send help.

Also I should mention that I wouldn't be pushing for this faction's existence for probably a long while seeing as I've been informed that there are already too many factions and colonies as it is. If you have any questions, opinions or whatever, I'll be happy to hear them.

15. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

My advice for everyone wanting to start a faction/colony: fuck the haters. Colonies will naturally die or fail to get off the ground if people don't take interest in them.

A feudal government system is more or less the same as how large businesses are run, and are militarily very secure (in comparison to democracy) so long as the peasants are content. I think it would serve fine in space, I don't see where there'd be a problem.

My only problem is that it doesn't seem like you will have a way to involve existing characters, which essentially makes the faction irrelevant to the rest of the population.

16. Revenant

Revenant New Member

I'll be sure to work upon this to make sure that existing characters are able to join the faction. Whilst I'm used to doing it differently elsewhere, having completely new characters being made for a faction, I'm willing to adapt and change the formula to keep things relevant.

17. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

I had a better point to make about things, but then my brain suddenly stopped working so I sort of just threw out what I had. The practical reason for a faction is to provide characters with purpose. Usually this is achieved by having an agenda or project of some sort. Having existing characters able to fill what you need to progress your agenda is strictly better than people making new characters specifically to do it, by virtue of being more natural.

18. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

Tip:
    While a space-based fuedal system of sorts isn't far-fetched (I mean, it's a theme in a lot of mech-based shows, animes, and so on-- there's always at least one faction which is a modernized and even futurized version of medieval times with ranks and all), Humanity as a whole probably isn't in the position to have allowed this thing to materialize just yet-- there's the sense of starting it with some specific colony needing a government structure, and they decided to go with this, but again, it's a bit hairy.

Yes-- this would be a great Glitch faction if you were interested in them. If not, and you're hard-pressed to play Human for this faction, I suggest toning down the feudal themes just a bit, and allowing them to develop over time.
    Earth has been destroyed nearly a decade ago, and humanity has retreated across the stars after being a unified post-modern planet. It'd sound more appropriate if this Tybalt was a great general and instead of outright calling him king, it'd be "Lord," where his officers were being referred to as knights as their colony takes on a more and more Arthurian theme.

But then these citizens would also need a reason to believe that this Tybalt is "beyond man" to some extent-- chosen by some higher power for a greater fate.

19. Revenant

Revenant New Member

I was perhaps a little too hasty with writing this thread and not going through the proper planning that I should have done before putting hands to keyboard; turns out I have a habit of just typing the first thing that comes into my mind. Regardless, thank you for this, it's given me an understanding as to how I can form this faction and have it make more sense that I originally intended and even a place to start off from with that too. I'll either go with the more Arthurian theme or just switch it to a Glitch faction, depending on what I feel comfortable with.

20. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

Don't worry about it too much.
    I mean, this literally is the planning part-- hope I have been helpful and I look forward to whatever you decide to make.