1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

(Hidden) Regarding the 'Umbra'

Discussion in 'Ragnarok' started by JohnShadow, May 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnShadow

JohnShadow "Now you're all alone, little Caroline."

Dear Leader of Ragnarok, I am Chris Marston, from the GCDC. I am messaging you to ask you about your planet. I have been informed that this 'Umbra' as the citizens call it, has gotten into the wildlife. We don't know what to do about this, as it could be anywhere. We came to you to ask if you'd like to help us clear your colony.

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Greetings,

As it stands, Ragnarok itself is currently mostly inhabited by Glitch and some Florans, therefor the risk of an outbreak in the settlement itself is minor. However, it has indeed come to my attention that an organism which matches the description of this 'Umbra' has escaped into the sewers. I have sealed them off, so I didn't expect them to spread onto the wild life, so perhaps the spread onto the wildlife has come from another source as well.

The mines should be clear, as our Glitch miners haven't reported any incidents or changes regarding the state of the mines. However, our hunters and gatherers have reported a decrease in prey and traces of 'black goo', which I have sent out parties of Glitch to clear, with flamethrowers.

It is my speculation that these creatures are slowly, but surely gathering a force of infected organisms.
    Therefor it would be most prudent keep an eye out on the settlement, in case of an attempted hostile takeover.
    I have adjusted the teleporter's sensors to cease function upon sensing the presence of the 'Umbra'.
    It should also send me a distress signal, after confirming the presence of this parasite.
    [Attached to this message there would be a blueprint on how to create a sensor which can detect 'Umbra', in a radius of 2 meters.]

So far, it has proven... Difficult to increase the radius of these sensors, as the bio-signature of these lifeforms are hard to pick up on as it stands. Increasing the effective radius wouldn't help, as it would seem that they're capable of surpressing their presence to some extent.
    Attempts at recovering a host from an infected specimen have proven futile, as the 'Umbra' has been incredibly persistent.
    Humanoid infectees, although few in number, have therefor had to be purged, completely cleansed and burnt to a crisp.

Unless the GCDC has the ability to subdue the infectees and store them in a quarantined environment, where they can be observed until a procedure has been found which will allow the hosts to recover from the "Umbra's" hold upon their minds and bodies, they are allowed to use lethal force to subdue the spread of the 'Umbra'. However, it'd be preferable to try to capture the humanoid infectees for observation and for the possibility of recovering them.

Additionaly the GCDC is hereby authorised to 'Quarantine' the settlement of Ragnarok and regulate transport to and from the settlement.
    They are also allowed to send out patrols into the hunting grounds and to be equiped with weapons and armour, despite the Floran tradition regarding visitors not being allowed to wield weapons in a Floran village and are thusly granted a limited form of diplomatic immunity which I trust they will not take advantage of.

Visitors are requested to follow GCDC instructions and to cease their excursions into the hunting grounds unsupervised.
    That is all.

[Attached to this post is a list of Ragnarok's inhabitants, a small community of Florans and Glitch (NPC's), Carlisle Thompson and a few other, some of whom have been absent a while before the 'Umbra' thing started and their homes. Oak's place of residence isn't mentioned.]

3. JohnShadow

JohnShadow "Now you're all alone, little Caroline."

Interesting, we have attempted to construct portable versions of this sensor, which work. . . However, I realized while making this, it'd take someone with great knowledge to build something like this. If you, or anyone you know, have any research to benefit us, please do let us know. Otherwise, thank you very much for the information and for helping us out and giving us some extra authority.