1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Gum is Avalon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Sen

Sen Guest

Gum is a carbon copy of Avalon. Same apperance, same horrible godmode Hylotl leader, same magic border control, even the same powergaming magic power armor.

Given that Avalon was objectively the worst colony ever created, I think that Gum needs to follow the same fate: deleted off the server. I nominate Aiko for this task.

Thoughts?

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

avalon was kinda nice
    for the three seconds I was on it, then shot at

3. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Yeah lets destroy another possible rp hub! that'll learn us!

4. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

There are many other more visually appealing planets out there, they all have fun settings. Every setting is doomed to get boring after time, and the synthetic/modern planet setting already did. We don't need another one.

5. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Which is fine, but Gum has bare been around long enough to see any good rp, it'd be an insult to the creator to just blow it up already...

6. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

How about fixing it.

7. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Oh, god forbid we actually have another colony that we can RP in without having to constantly worry about bombings every two god-damn seconds. Sooooo hooooorribllllle, ahhhhh. Quite frankly, I enjoyed Avalon, and I enjoy Gum. Cue Sen insulting me in some fashion.
    No. It can not be the objectively worst. That's because colony quality is subjective. Cue Sen insulting me in some fashion.

8. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

It's okay to not like things.

Gum attracts RP, there is no excuse to outright deleting it because a few people don't like it.
    Also, it is impossible for opinions to be objective.

You don't have to visit the planet if you don't like it, keep to whatever hub you call home and let others enjoy their RP without trying to step on anyone.

9. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

that was a good rule zero

10. Sen

Sen Guest

How do you fix something that never worked in the first place?

Avalon was the pinnacle of godmoding on the server (excluding the Armoured Wolves) thanks to its auto win military, magic scanners and tech along with infinite funds.

Gum exhibits identical characteristics.

Just because it is popular does not make it acceptable. ERP is popular but unacceptable here and so is blatant godmoding.

11. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

You don't NEED to fix it. Assuming it's as awful as you fear, it will die on its own. The same way Mattis/Marathon/ and now Opportunity is.

Let it die on it's own and let the people who keep themselves there have their RP while it lasts, if that truly is the ultimate fate.

Telling mods to take out an entire colony is just petty.

12. Rezima

Rezima New Member

We are not going to delete any colonies because they are similar to previous colonies.

If you dislike a colony, then do not visit it.
    If you feel that all the alleged godmodders and powergamers on the server make a colony their home, let them.
    All that means is that all the 'bad roleplayers' are far away from you in their own harmless bubble that you don't have to voluntarily visit.

I cannot stress this enough, if you feel like a place is home to what you would personally consider terrible players, why would you continue to visit it.

If you feel like someone is powergaming or godmodding, REPORT THEM. We hear all of these allegations but we rarely if ever receive any actual reports or evidence, only secondhand accounts about what players supposedly did.

13. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

If you've got a problem with the colony, it'd be better to word it in a less... Hostile fashion. Voicing opinions is perfectly alright, but try to keep in mind that what you say does affect people.

RIP the original rule zero

Please try not to say stuff like this. If you're really expecting him to insult you, don't do anything further to incite it.

Anyways, back to /thread/.

14. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

I dislike Gum because its name is dum (hue)

Its also super flat and boring and neon and the architecture is fairly boring. Those are my qualms. As for the scanner, if you really need to attack it you can litterally land elsewhere. Just because the game beams you to one spot does not mean landing ships are a myth. There is always an alternative route.

It ain't rocket science. it's common sense

15. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

I dislike Gum for my own reasons. Not going to share them, just going to let it be known I disapprove of this colony so that my legions of mindless fans know to avoid it in the future. . . . Yes I have legions, don't question it. Just remember Gum rhymes with cum. Cum is involved in 100% of teenage pregnancies. Gum supports non-chrisitan ideals and teenage pregnancy. Gum is therefore bad.​

16. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Haaah, rocket science, cuz youre flying a spaceship, and its... heh... um. Yeah.

All in all, I think Gum is okay because it adds a bit of diversity to the server. It's good to have places where super serious stuff for serous sam happens, and its good to have a place where things are more relaxed and stuff. For example, Gum is definitely not the place for Ray because he is a serious, straightforward, scientific character and dislikes the carefree personality of the place. On the other hand, Gillian is a childish girl who likes the simple things in life like food, dancing and neurobiology so Gum is a good place for her to just be silly. Usually I prefer greatly the serious hardcore-ish RP, but sometimes if I feel like crap and have a hankering for swapping personalities. As people have said before me, if you dont like it dont go.

The only legitimate merit to removing a colony is if people don't go there.
    (
    Unless server rules are broken or something.)

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Eh it's a hylotl planet. Based on the hylotl architecture assets existing in the game already and hylotl culture, a neotokyo style city makes perfect sense in Starbound lore

18. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

It's true, it was pretty bad. Anyway,

Power gaming and Godmoddng are definitely a no-no. Though such action as "delete the colony from existence" is quite drastic, and unreasonable.

The better solution here would be to address the problems and constructively work on fixing them.
    "Don't go there if you don't like it" is all well and good, to some extent. However, in extreme circumstances, something must be done. This server is geared towards serious, communal roleplay. Allowing powergaming and godmodding to fester anywhere, no matter how secluded, is detrimental to server health.

I'd ask that any players with constructive criticism to speak up in depth, explain whats wrong and why it's wrong, so the players in question can grow in learn! I'd also suggest not pointing out names at this point. And please, keep it civil.

19. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Constructive criticism is nice when it works. Unfortunately the people that usually need it on this server are close-minded and don't have any desire to correct their shitty habits. Also, fuckwit fuckwit fuckwit. Whoops, I used bad language. Better delete this post as well.​

#19 Kaiser Franz, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  20. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Try critiquing properly before you jump straight to flaming.