1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Approved Glitchian Concern: I am quite literally hotter than you.

Discussion in 'Character Questions' started by Faust, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Faust

Faust Penitent Lord

Greetings. I have read the lore of the Glitch in this server, and made sure to re-read it twice once more, and I have one concern regarding that character I wish to play. For the nature of his physical body, goes against what the Glitch believe upon their body. And also his equipment may need permission to even be used within character. So the following which are listed, will need permission to even be allowed IC.

As this Glitch character of mine, due to circumstance and time, has been modfying his body. Either by his own or friends who are now long dead, due to the Inquisitors or simply due to age. The nature of said modifications focus on three parts, his power-core, limbs and his physical shell. All three are tied to his backstory, which to make it concise, is a tale of a noble prince betrayed and turned into an outcast. Who then was forced to live a nomadic life of a trader, that primarily focused on mining and smithing wares to fund his self-titled penance crusade. This life of his has allowed him to exist for a century, until he had decided to simply shutdown and die, letting himself and his ship drift into the void of space, with his body sealed in a sort of cryo-stasis chamber. Of course, he awakens centuries later, finding his ship being boarded by explorers which he promptly chased away only to discover he was now in Antares space.

The modifcations that I mentioned are these:

1.A power core that intensely burns from within him, producing copious amounts of heat that allows him to set things on fire, should he allow it. This core is dubbed 'Perdition', which in function heats his body up. Allowing him, who is primarily made from thick durasteel to move his joints. However, the excessive amounts of heat that the core produces makes it necessary for him to actively control its temperature, as it is tied to his current state of mind. It also makes him covet more food-stuff to fuel himself, alongside drinks that may help him cool his body down, which is simply a placebo effect. As his internal systems had been modified to maintain a sort of 'normal' temperature for him, which is still quite hot.

Not only that, due to how it makes the metal that composes him soft or the armor that he wears, it renders his defenses far inferior than the rest. As even though his apparent frame is quite heavily armored, the softened nature of it due to the constant heat from within him renders them more susceptible to being punctured, and worse yet it is made more weak against bludgeoning attacks.

2. His limbs, as his lifestyle as a miner and trader rendered him self-reliant, his limbs are made to be able to support his own weight whenever he carries his large ore-filled pack. With his arms primarily being modified to allow him to mine with ease in extended periods of time, which coupled with his Perdition Core allows him to possibly dig-through earth with his sharpened fingertips, as he uses the heat he produces through his hands to soften the surface of whatever he mines, granted that said material wasn't heat-resistant.

The drawback to this is how sluggish he would be, as said limbs need the heat his core makes to soften some parts of his joints. In battle, this would allow him to deliver hard hitting blows, but said blows would be quite obvious to dodge as the momentum he would generate with them would make it hard for him to stop. It also makes him take his time in the items he forges, making them much more heavier as he uses more materials to even make them whitstand his forging techniques.

3. His physical shell is made from durasteel, layered in a way that makes him capable of enduring harsh weathers of alien worlds and possibly be more durable against bladed weapons. This shell of his is heavy, making him slow in exchange for defenses. Beneath this shell of his, is modified systems that support his power-core and the heavy shell of his, which even furthers his need for fuel.

Half of his face is covered by an even harder mask, which is half a face of another Glitch, forcibly melded with his own face through a ritual bonding involving intense heat. This makes him droop his head down a bit, as if he was glaring at whoever he meets.

-

His equipment on the otherhand that I feel needs permission, alongside afforementioned modifications are also three things. One, are robes that appear IG as the Caretaker robes. But IC, are flame-resistant robes made for him so that he may hide his body, and be capable of hiding of what he looks like. It is primarily the thing he wears, aside from armours or a crown.

Second is the unqiue Dragonhead pistol, which he carries two of. These pistols of his are not made by him personally, and are instead a gift from a friend he considered to be his little-brother. These pistols function IC as rapid-firing handguns that are capable of using different kinds of munition, but are primarily using AP rounds which are also modified to 'light up' in flames whenever it fires. This of course causes more maintenance to be needed for these pistols.

Third would be a pickaxe, or rather is wide-array of mining equipment that a miner may need. Which are primarily limited to pickaxes, shovels, drills, nothing too complicated or larger than he is.
    (Would the Energy Pickaxe be allowed, or is it alongside the Absurd/Comical IG items?)

-

That end it there, and so the question from me is. Which among these will be allowed, which will be the ones to be denied, and subsequently what possible alternatives will I be given in regards to these six things I have listed?

Regardless, thank you for your time in reading this. And no matter the outcome, I will still play as this character, with or without the full compliment of things I have listed.

2. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Heat core 'Perdertion': Such a violent modification may be all in all fruitless and may not even function with Glitch 'biology', being as complex as it is already to modify. In addition the heat may to an extent wreak havoc on existing systems. Whilst certainly heat resistant, they still possess delicate systems on the inside that may be susceptible to heat and flames which the outer shell protects. Imagine what happens when you set a set of wires and such on fire.
    Durasteel shell: This may go hand in hand with the point above, seeing the core is apparently used to uphold the shell. However Durasteel (in essence) is a titanium alloy that is supposedly both lighter and stronger than steel, but things may vary bulkwise which may then make things a bit unwieldy without the extra movement ability..
    Limbs: Same as above. The seem oriented around the power core, and so may not work without them as you say.

I doubt most of these things simply because of Glitch nature. No one but Hivemind Glitch know how to build new Glitch (and even then, the process is subconscious), and the extent of other knowledge is essentially the repair of certain lesser components which makes modifying them rather difficult without breaking some system inside that may have been important, much like the human body.

My suggestion to really allow all this would be to think external rather than internal - have the entire set up as a rig rather than a bodily modification, perhaps, one that he may join with and control fluidly with his own movement.
    The pickaxe also is a thing I couldn't get my head around very well. How would you go about explaining the 'energy' part, exactly?

But aye otherwise I see no other issues to note. That's my thoughts on it currently, having a initial scan through. I'll wait around before having final says and all that, just to give the whole process some time.
    Hope it works out in the end.

3. Faust

Faust Penitent Lord

Seeing as it cannot be allowed internally, would the modifications be allowed as it is if it's applied to an armor, which would function as a Rig as you have said? If that is what it would take to allow it, then I would gladly take it, even at the expense of the Glitch almost constantly wearing his suit of armor beneath the robe he has. As the three aspects are a sort of important piece of the character.

Though on the subject of the Energy Pickaxe, I'm quite alright not having it. Unless a Pickaxe which has a system to allow energy to coat its tip be allowed.

4. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I was kind of pointing at the only types of 'energy' based close-distance weapons/tools are limited. Plasma of course is dangerous and requires a very strong magnetic field (usually around a single rod). Vibrating edges are more discrete at times, but of course are fixed to solid objects. And then hard-light would be near useless for mining because the light would shatter light glass upon impact. I can't think of many other ways to energise them, unless you have any.

And aye, the rig would work I imagine. Insulated pack on the back for the Perdition engine which is hooked up to the rest of the rig. I know some Glitch 'enchanted' suits can actually directly 'interface' with a Glitch user using an 'arcane' link, making it feel like an extension to their own body rather than a suit they are wearing, so you could base it off that idea.

Again, everything else is fine. You could still have a durasteel shell (probably not a very thick one, for bulk reasons) or similar material more suitable for heat resistance and the Glitch face mask. You'll just have to note that the latter (and to an extent the former I guess?) is rather morbid and I would almost imagine painful depending how long it's been - you kind of did have someones face welded to your own.

5. Faust

Faust Penitent Lord

I had a few ideas, nothing to concrete however. And all would need the existence of the Ark and subsequently the Ancient Race responsible for the creation of the Ark Vaults. As the tech needed to even shape pure energy into a Pickaxe tip and maintain it, is too complex.

With that new information in mind, this can truly work as an external rig. With the Perdition Engine being insulated into a large pack, connected to an armor which my character would link with. Possibly wearing it as a second skin, albeit a heavier one. This however would present one glaring weakness at the back, though I imagine it would be possible to strengthen the pack that contains such a violent and downright self-destructive engine.

And I think this glitch will primarily be made from heat-resistant materials, as he is from a Volcanic World. Lighter would be better without his armor, as I just realized he would need to be able to move his hands properly to even craft or forge.

And yes, it's morbid and even more disturbing when one realized he willingly did it. Coherently at that. Though it is obviously painful, but at the current time it wouldn't be for him, as he has gotten used to it. But yeah.. someone else's face welded to half of your own, not by someone but you yourself.

I just realized that's downright edgy.

6. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

The Ark itself is not treated as canon. And any technology from any ancient sapients (or sapient, if there was only one kin) would be almost if not impossible to obtain. Otherwise? It would have probably become a staple in every day technology which it has not.

But yeah, everything else sounds just about fine. Maybe it would be best to go with an 'enchanted' pickaxe - one with a vibro-edge.

7. Faust

Faust Penitent Lord

Understandable. Nothing more is to be added I guess, aside from that 'enchanted' axe. If it is allowed, would this Glitch be able to have more than one? Regardless this is all I would need for him.

Unless he cannot have the Templar, Doom Lord and Legionarie Armor. Made from durasteel of course. All I'm after is the aesthetic of the armors.

8. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Aesthetics are 100% totally A-ok. Don't need to ask us about that.

9. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll just set this as approved seeing we seemed to have sorted that. (Should of done that sooner whoops)