1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Glitch Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TaintedMythos, Jun 20, 2014.

1. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

I have looked at the lore, but there is something that is unclear to me about the Glitch, specifically how they talk. Why is it that they put the emotion of what they are going to say before they say it e.g. "Cheerful. Hello!" exactly? Is it because they have a monotone voice, or what? Sorry if I overlooked something in the lore that explains this, my apologies. If someone could explain this that would be great since I had an RP idea and wanted to make sure it doesn't conflict with official lore.
    -TaintedMythos

2. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Their voice is rather monotonous as far as I've been able to tell, yes.

3. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

Current lore seems to indicate that the other races have a hard time distinguishing Glitch emotions via their speech. This is because while, say, humans can indicate emotion via tone and emphasis, Glitch voices are classic "robot" and therefore pretty damn monotonous; it's simply how they were designed. To counteract this drawback, the Glitch use the emotive cues to signal either their current emotion or the purpose of their sentence - i.e. "Educate. The exit is to the west." or "Angry. How dare you!" This makes it much easier for the other races to understand... almost too easy, in fact, since the Glitch are pretty much outright telling them their emotions or intent.

So for the most part, it seems to be a conscious thing. The Glitch are doing it on purpose for a specific reason, to counteract a particular design flaw: monotone voices.

4. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

So it would be okay do drop it if I had a character that /did/ have emotion in their voice, or just didn't care. I thought it was, like, part of their programming or something, like they HAD to. Thanks!

5. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

It is actually part of their programming in general. Glitch are incapable of showing emotion in their tone, really.