1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Floran Culture

Discussion in 'Floran' started by L.O.R.I.E., Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.O.R.I.E.

L.O.R.I.E. Lil Ole' Record & Info Editor

Content
    Culture

Return to Summary ...

Culture
    [HR1][/HR1][HR1][/hr1][HR1]
    [/HR1]
    One would expect a species of sentient humanoid plants to be peaceful, nature-loving environmentalists – that presumption is what allows this hyper-aggressive tribal civilisation to thrive. Unwitting explorers are prey of choice to the carnivorous Florans, who frequently salvage or reverse engineer the technology they bring to enable their colonization of the stars. The introduction of space travel to the primitive Florans had the undesired effect of Floran colonies spanning across star systems, each with their own customs and levels of aggression.

Though a unisex species, Floran culture values survival through reproduction and expansion, as well as a strong bond between kin. Cannibalism during funeral rituals and wars with rival factions are commonplace, though it remains unclear whether it’s out of conservation or simple tradition. Because of the fact that the Florans have become so incredibly numerous, due to their high fertility rate, which has led to them being referred to as "weeds", and the fact that they are spread between different tribes across many different worlds, it is impossible to attempt to explain Floran culture properly without generalising.

Despite the competitive nature of Floran culture and the rampant cannibalism, Florans do appreciate the concept of working together as a group. In Floran culture, Florans do not steal from other Florans. Generally Florans are also not allowed to harm or deceive other Florans, without a good reason. Exceptions can be made in the context of rivalries between Florans of the same tribe, who are striving to compete for dominance, or between different tribes, who are at war. However, it is always regarded as unacceptable should a Floran endanger the tribe, as a whole, just to further their own agenda.

As previoulsy stated, Florans value tradition and one of the more popular traditions is the Rite of the Hunt. It is believed that The Rite of the Hunt was first established long ago by a Greenfinger called Idamta. They created The Hunt as a test of determination, prowess, and skill; a great trial in which the Floran could compete to prove themselves the most powerful and mighty hunter.

Return to Summary ...

#1 L.O.R.I.E., Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.