1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Fear Not!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Punished Tacc, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

2. Beta

Beta New Member

Aww yiss mothafuckin' SBSE update.

3. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

The update doesn't appear to work. At least, not for me. I make my changes and go to save them, but nothing happens.

4. Beta

Beta New Member

Yep, Same. :x

5. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Tell him it's not working in the link provided

6. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Hi guys! I'm the developer of SBSE. Thanks for your interest in it! I stumbled across this post and wanted to let you guys know that all the bugs should be worked out by now. If you do end up having a problem, make sure to let me know! Otherwise I can't fix it if I don't know it exists. Best way to let me know would be by email to [email protected] or by posting on the official thread on playstarbound.

7. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

SBSE is the backbone of our RP

8. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

I honestly had no idea anyone still used it. It doesn't have a lot of replies or views on the Starbound forums and never gets much attention on Reddit, so I kinda figured after I posted it initially interest went away or something. It wasn't until the newest update that I started receiving a lot of requests for an update. It's cool to know that quite a few people still use it.

I'm hoping that the advanced editor will please those who complain about how the automatic coloring is applied. I've had a few requests for it since I first created SBSE,

9. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Well keep up the good work! We use it to colour our faction's armour and clothing items, makes things much easier than rolling. Also allows for easy hair dying instead of just remaking characters.

10. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Hello again! I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by bumping this thread again, but I just wanted to let everyone know I've released two new updates today that adds the ability to change your hair style as well as advanced coloring options for armor to SBSE. I know you talked about SBSE being important for RP, so hopefully you'll see this as a welcome addition, as it allows for further customization of armors. I wrote up an explanation of this here for a better idea of what to do.

Soon I'll be adding the option to add new colors to the advanced color menu so you wont have to replace existing ones.

11. Jay

Jay New Member

Awesome! Keep up the great work!

12. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Feel free to bump this any time you update Phaze. I'm sure everyone in this community appreciates the time and effort you put into this project.

13. Beta

Beta New Member

That we do.

14. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

If anyone hasn't seen my latest posts over at the starbound forums, I'm officially moving SBSE to the desktop. This is being done so that the code is easier for me to maintain, and also to make support for third party Starbound mods within SBSE. I have written my own implementation of a .pak reader with help from Lrns123 and it's surprisingly fast at ripping through them to find the data I need, so in the end all you'll need to do is drop the SBSE application anywhere and it should do all the heavy lifting to get started for you.

Right now I have the base down and I've been porting all the website code to the application. I'm currently stuck deciding the most efficient way to handle finding item data (building a database in memory vs. trying to read on demand), but once that's sorted the rest of the application should come fairly quickly. I'll be releasing a few test builds before doing anything to website or releasing it officially, so when that happens if you're interested in helping me test for bugs I'll make an update here with information on how to help.

I'm not sure if you guys use a lot of mods on the server but with advanced color editing and mod support SBSE should allow for some pretty cool customization options.

15. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

I've just released an update to the website version. It's possibly the last update, but it's also kind of important. Here's what's changed:

- Wrote in a special case for Avians to separate their strange single body directive into 3 directives for feet, belly, and the rest. This only affects basic mode, but it should prevent earlier complaints. The belly still has a weird contrast problem, so it might be best to avoid changing it.
    - Advanced mode now has fully working buttons to add a new color change option to the existing directive. This will let you easily change any color on whatever you're changing, but as it's advanced mode you'll need to know the hex code for what you want to change. You can use Paint or Photoshop or any editing software for this.

I'll try to do a tutorial on using advanced mode at some point if it's confusing. I'm also looking at the possibility of adding an automatic color picker for when you hover your mouse over the preview of your character, but I'm not sure if that's possible with javascript.

EDIT: Here's an example of what you can do with advanced mode adding new color replacements. Keep in mind this is 100% vanilla Starbound, no mods. This is a freshly created human character with the default cool jacket and SBSE altered skin and hair colors. Here's how I modified the jacket in SBSE:

[​IMG]

Note that I added the 3 extra color changes at the end. Then in game, it shows up like this:

[​IMG]

Edit 2: just for fun I changed the hair and made some color changes to make Fry from Futurama:
    [​IMG]

#15 Phaze, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  16. Beta

Beta New Member

YES
    ILIKEIT.JPEG

17. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

That pose though, come on phaze give Fry some dignity!

18. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

lmao in my defense it was a randomly chosen!

EDIT: I'm not sure what happened, but this post was made without me really knowing it. Anyway, here's what I meant to post:

I made another small update to the web version to improve rendering speed of the character preview. This is based off some code I wrote for the desktop version. Speaking of which, the character rendering on the desktop version is progressing nicely. Full support for directives, color indexes, and default colors has been implemented. Due to a bug with Chucklefish's SHA256 hashing, files that contain 55 characters in the assets pak file aren't read correctly. This is a problem because when rendering players there's a few armors that end up being 55 characters long and thus wont load at all. I've gotten around this somewhat by simply attempting to download unreadable files from SBSE's website. This works okay for the time being. It depends on you having an internet connection though and the point of moving to the desktop was to be able to run it offline without any dependencies, I'd rather no rely on it. I've talked to Omni from Chucklefish who said that the bug has been fixed on their end already and will be fixed in the next update, so this problem is only temporary at least. It'll have to do for now.

Anyway I thought I'd just post this screenshot of the development so far to illustrate where I'm at with player rendering (most of these are just quickly generated test players, aside from Kentoss):

[​IMG]

#18 Phaze, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  19. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

Just posting to say that this tool is incredible, the interface is very intuitive, and you're hella cool for keeping us updated on it.

20. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

thanks! I'm happy people are into it, and hopefully more people will jump on when the desktop version is released