1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Expeditionary Task Force

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Angre, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

So, this thread is about a faction. It won't be another hostile, evil, "kill them all" type of faction, instead, it'll be a small unit of soldiers (I know, I know, hear me out, will ya?). These soldiers will not start off in a bunker somewhere, they won't start off with powerarmor or an armada or a full blown colony. On the contrary, in fact, the purpose of this faction is to breathe new life into the dying military faction type. They will mine for resources, build their own buildings, they will hunt for food. There will be absolutely no powergaming regarding conflict or trying to prevent it.

Now, I know you guys are familiar with the group I am associated with and our less than successful attempts at factions in the past. I can assure you, there will be no such issues with this faction. How can I be sure about this? This time, I want you, the members of the community, to actually say something -immediately- if we upset you in any way. Even better, create a conversation with myself if you're upset. If your concerns are valid, not only will I make an effort to correct whatever is wrong, I will thank you for your feedback.

So, anyway, obviously the purpose of this thread is to gauge the community's interest regarding it. Tell me what you think, don't hold back, let me know how you would feel about some soldiers trying to survive in the frontier, this time with actual survival involved.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

From what I've seen in the past, you haven't learned anything to support this claim. You've /tried/ in the past to get the concerns and waved down others you don't like as invalid.

3. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

lol good one

4. Day Tripper

Day Tripper miller ball breaker

EDIT: input redacted, see below

#4 Day Tripper, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
  5. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

That so? We've learned nothing, huh? Interesting that you say that, because I remember a day when we wouldn't allow anyone with weapons into Union, the scanner would detect any slightly hazardous item, and we had power armor. Now, back on Port Last, people were walking around with weapons, there were numerous attacks (one of which resulted in the total annihilation of the RA as well as the deaths of several characters and the departure of others), and there was no scanner, just a simple checkpoint in case anyone decided to beam down and start firing, which happened several times as well.

6. Sen

Sen Guest

Yay another aimless group of guns

7. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

As for you, please post a meaningful reply or don't post a single thing in this thread again, capiche?

8. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Not at all. This group is not aimless, for they have a goal. It's not survive, no, their goal is to thrive through actual hard work. I did mention they would be mining and building their own buildings instead of letting NPCs handle it off screen, right?

9. skipi

skipi New Member

i totally believe you

10. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

|
    |
    V
    there you go, that's my opinion

11. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Wanna be more specific? Not a single quote, no hint as to who you're talking to or what you mean.

12. Optimism

Optimism Guest

There will always be soldiers.

I've yet to see any dedicated farmers.

13. Sen

Sen Guest

Only on Antares is breathing considered a purpose

14. Day Tripper

Day Tripper miller ball breaker

More than anything, I think this server would benefit from a passive group. A humanitarian group, a group of cartographers on a mission to map out the frontier, the list goes on.

15. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Soldiers will always be present because there will always be someone who'll kill everyone else if left unopposed. Dedicated farmers don't exist because they'd be slaughtered in a heartbeat (not to mention, someone actually tried playing a farmer. No one bought any crops or was even slightly interested in it). These soldiers will obviously be farming because you can't live off of meat alone, however that won't be what they spend every moment of every day doing.

16. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

My question for you is, who would support such a group? I've yet to see anyone attempt such a thing, and considering all the antagonists on the server, they'd be wiped out before they even got to their first event.

17. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

nope

18. Doctor Frohman

I would, if the people who were in it were actually good RPers.

19. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Alright, look at my first post to tacoburger. Post something meaningful or get out of here.
    That's based on your opinion. There is no official way to judge an RPer's skills, not even that formula posted in the FAQ section. And I suppose you wouldn't actually take part in or run this group yourself? Is that because you have no faith in your abilities as an RPer, or because you realize it would be boring as hell and don't actually want anything to do with it?

20. Doctor Frohman

You're suggesting I wouldn't want to do this. I love pacifist characters and passive RP. When everybody was shooting eachother and running about in HL2RP, I spent six fun hours just sitting down, writing down the events IC.