1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Everyone else is doing it. OPINIONS ON FLORA

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by Spinach Pirate, Aug 8, 2014.

?

Is flora annoying OOC?

1. Yes

58.3%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. LOLNO FLORA IS THE BEST CHAR ON THE SERVER

8.3%
  1. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

Everyone else is doing it, so im gonna do it, what do you guys think about flora, pls just your honest opinions, so no hate that isnt actually real, also, pls tell how to fix things you think are bad about flora or whatever.

i forgot to add: "LOLYES FLORA IS THE WORST CHAR ON THE SERVER" to the poll, sorry

#1 Spinach Pirate, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Sen

Sen Guest

The Starbound equivalent of a tiefling dickgirl.

3. Spinach Pirate

what?

4. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

My issue with Flora is this: She's naive, bumbling, bouncy, energetic, outgoing and innocent. Not a damn one of these is a problem. However, she only ever (or most often) personifies this inappropriately. She clings to sexual issues or swearing or other 'mature' issues and rarely, if ever, gets hung up on anything else. It's the reason there is so much trouble with mods. Because over time, it gets pressed and pressed and pressed. I'll admit, this is possibly due as much to the people surrounding her as to her, but she is still 50% of the equation at the very least.

You have to ask yourself 'Why is 75% of what this character does sexual, or borderline inappropriate?' For laughs? Well, if that's the case, I think that Flora needs some rewriting to add some depth to her and give her more character and more room to develop. If she never develops, she'll slip back into a stagnant state and continue to be an annoyance to many people.

5. Spinach Pirate

flora starting out as being a joke kinda makes it hard for me to not just go back to joke, but of course a joke isnt what I(or others) want flora to be any more, so ill follow your advice and make flora less of a joke, and more of a person.

6. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

A mentally handicapped adult that constantly acts like a child is far more pathetic than cute or endearing. You could say 'oh she's just naive' but she's played dumb enough to the point where it can be construed as that. Also, in my experience any character created for the purpose of being 'cute' in the first place just ends up being obnoxious as their entire purpose will inevitably just devolve into doing lolsorandumb 'cutesy' things to support that claim.

7. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

Ridiculously annoying and poorly played character, which is not even cute but just miserable. Constantly asks meaning of words she heard before, with only purpose to sound cute, naive or funnay. That joke got so dry that none of the known deserts can top that. If you want to roll a character that is not a joke, making it a floran is already a bad step better make a new character with clear and fresh history.

8. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Seconded
    Agreed
    And it's my opinon exactly.

Everyone else did all the work before I could get here. :(

9. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

Personally Flora is a tad annoying, but shes just a naive floran. Ariexe plays the same way, accept not inappropriate. I think the joke with mars always overreacting to people who teach flora these "things" (which half the time I think you make up anyways) its old, and its draining out both your images.

I don't want to see flora go, but give her a purpose instead of sexual questions. It was funny at first, its not funny now. Also, this doesn't bug me oocly since ya know.. Id join you if I didn't give a crap about my image.

#9 Ariexe, Aug 8, 2014
  10. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

PLOT TWIST. Mars locks Flora to make her stop learning those words! (Far easier and less bloody than threatening a lot of peeps)

11. Spinach Pirate

only once!

also yeah, im gonna stop having flora ask these questions and stuff, and try and develop her into an actual person instead of questions about sex related things

12. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I'm not really that cynical so I'm going to say that the experiences I've had with Flora have been enjoyable and cute, if, yes, a bit immature.
    But you're fixing that, so I have no problem. c:

13. Steamy

Steamy Pro spam bot

I feel flora has alot of potential to be an incredibly unique character all you need to do is give her some more layers other than the handicapped chick try giving her a talent or passion like art or music maybe give her some sort or have her progress more as a character by changing based on her surroundings maybe she'd mature a little by being in the den all the time or be traumatized by some of the things there or maybe have her be inspired by mars and try to be like him have her be paranoid about catching a flu again because of her experience having the flu,pretty much have her be a more dynamic and changing character.

14. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

On top of what everyone else has been saying...

... Can you please use proper grammar when you RP? Like, capitalization and stuff? One of my pet peeves on this server. It's an easy way to make your RP look 20 times better.

15. Spinach Pirate

I might, but I actually try to not capitalize on purpose, because Flora is stupid, and I don't use periods because IC its not writing, its speech.

16. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

. . . Exactly. It's speech. We talk with punctuation and capitalization. Do you need to use correct grammar? No. Spelling, yes. Usually.

17. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

See, I'm a fan of the reverse. Proper grammar and spelling when speaking (unless you're specifically going for an accent or a speech impediment), and then in character journals you're free to do whatever because characters might not have the best grammar due to reasons (upbringing, not caring, etc.).

18. Spinach Pirate

I might start capitalizing words, but I will continue misspelling words, because I actually am mispronouncing them, for example: "probly" and "aminal"

19. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

We use punctuation when we're talking.

"You want to go to the store?" vs "You want to go to the store"

"I'm going to kill you!" vs "I'm going to kill you"

"I like dogs. Dogs are cool." vs "I like dogs dogs are cool"

And capitalization just makes you look smart from a literary perspective. People will think less of you if you don't use capitalization and punctuation.

#19 Pie4Pigs, Aug 8, 2014
  20. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

That's perfectly fine. Back in the previous server I was, Lyra looked like a complete retarded due to her low knowledge of english/whatevas is the most spoken language in 2414. Some people even told me they though I was that bad in english. Good old 2 months to improve and speak it properly.