1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Toadkid1234, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

If you haven't heard of this game, you are missing out.
    If you have and aren't interested, you suck.
    If you have and are drooling over it, amen brother welcome to the club.

Next to Star Citizen, this is the next biggest space sim of all time. The sequel to the old old old series of Elite games, Elite: Dangerous offers a game driven by the player. You choose what path to take. There are no boundaries to what you can do, no set campaign, no right or wrong path to take. Be a trader, a smuggler, a pirate, a bounty hunter, an explorer, and any and all of the above. Buy any number of ships, each tailored to different jobs. Massive warships. Zippy fighters. Hulking transports. Long-distance exploration vessels.

The entire galaxy is your oyster, with over 100 million..... no, 300 million... no, 10 billion... no, 400 billion star systems. What the hell, how do they do that? Don't ask me, some procedural generation thing. Each one is host to its own, unique star, and a bunch of planets ranging from terrestrial worlds to Jovian planets with rings, orbiting moons, and maybe life. You might stumble across a space station. maybe a binary star system (or trinary, even). Maybe a pirate hideout. Maybe a pink star. Maybe a rival explorer. Maybe a black hole.

The level of detail is astounding. Live simulations of the magnetohydrodynamics of stars and coronal mass ejections. Planet generation based on scientifically accepted planet forming. Atmospheric simulations of turbulence on gas giants and terrestrial planets alike.

The game is set to come out December 16th. Upon release it will just have the spaceship module, but over time there will be additional modules, such as planetary landings, walking around space stations, and (I think) capital ship play.

Not sure if you're interested? See for yourself. There are plenty of YouTube videos, or visit the official website.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ((pls furgiv for super long post I'm really excited is all))

2. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

Fallout 4 hype is taking over my internal Hype train. Almost all coal is expended. Halp.

3. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I nearly died with the fake website hype and fake documents. All my hype and excitement will stay with Fallout. And Mass Effect 4, whenever that is.
    As for this game, it sounds like a more visual version of EVE Online. Or EVE + Star Citizen. Interesting as it is, it's a pass to me. If it can manage the dynamic economy and intense book-keeping of EVE and the deep simulation of Star Citizen, I can see it making huuge waves. That's just from a surface analysis.

4. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

all the new eve alike games :p star citizen looks either great

5. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Mass Effect 4 definitely has my attention, but that's s far off in the distance I'm not even thinking about it right now.

This game is NOT a copy of EVE. They both offer loads of options for how you play, and both games have pretty graphics, and both have simulated economies able to be affected by the player base, but that's about where similarities end. Elite is strictly first person immersive cockpit-based gameplay while EVE is a detached third person point and click strategy game. Elite is also more friendly and less focused on aggressive, intense PvP than EVE, and the former definitely has a more shallow learning curve than the latter. EVE has shown to be able to be played unfairly, greatly because of the vast dominance veteran players have over newer players, and the ability to swarm-block wormhole entrances and such. Elite is not so easily taken advantage of, with limited cargo size, costs for storing goods and the lack of centralized jump points. Finally, Elite tries to get as close to reality as possible, simulating actual celestial bodies (you can look up in the night sky in real life, point to a star and fly to it in the game) and planetary size and the physics of space, following Newtonian physics to the point where one wonders if there is too much detail. Also, 400 billion star systems.

Star Citizen is and Elite: Dangerous are definitely both competing for the space sim crowd, but I honestly think you can have both, as both offer different types of gameplay. Star Citizen is restricted size wise, with (I think) 55 star systems. That's really a lot of space when you think about it, but it can't beat the vastness of the Milky Ways 400 Billion star systems supported by Elite. Also, Elite is coming out real soon, and star citizen is off in the distance somewhere. I am so pumped for both games, dont get me wrong, but Elite is just closer and so beautiful, I wouldn't want to miss it.

Oh, by the way, its oculus rift compatible. Holy mother of god that is going to be awesome.

6. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

YES

7. QuestionableMotives

QuestionableMotives Not To Be Trusted

Space Sim?

X3: Terran Conflict
    (Elite looks super cool tho)

8. Smokestack

I can imagine a hardcore gamer's room for Elite. Oculus rift on head, pilot sim gear in hand,
    and this
    [​IMG]
    The future is now.

9. Stu_Pot

Stu_Pot New Member

Fallout 4? Why was I not told of this? Where's it taking place? Boston or New York or something?

10. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

Boston, I hope. I dunno, it is rumored to be announced at VGX this year but...
    [​IMG]

11. Stu_Pot

Stu_Pot New Member

I think Atlanta might be a good idea for a future game. I mean, Nuka Cola HQ would be neat. :p Either way...
    -Hitches a hobo ride on the hype train-

12. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

[​IMG]

13. Stu_Pot

Stu_Pot New Member

CHOO CHOO. Also I'm hoping for some one handed dual wielding this game around, since skyrim. I mean, it'll eat through ammo, but with a 10mm or a late-game character shouldn't be a problem. Also maybe a weapon not breaking system like skyrim.

14. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

If there no fallout announcement /r/fallout be like
    [​IMG] [/Spoiler

15. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

My... my thread...

N... no...

16. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

[​IMG]

17. Smokestack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*ahem* Back to Elite: Dangerous. It would become waaay more interesting if it already had a large fan base to build a player base off of. With that, it can take what we do as a Starbound RP server, push it more in depth, and make a helluva space sim.
    Like Star Citizen.

The rumored Fallout Online

18. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

What, so introduce Elite: Dangerous for Ship battle RP? I would think we would need something more fair for that, because that depends entirely on what stuff you have farmed for/found in Elite: Dangerous. People would be playing Elite: Dangerous and not StarboundRP. And what if we lost it from some random guy? How do we justify that RP wise?

19. Smokestack

In many games, that's the case. I'd expect that there'd be private servers that could be made. I don't know the specifics about Elite: Dangerous and was just throwing an idea out there that it could be a likely candidate for roleplay use.
    Unless of course, you thought I was talking about using it for StarboundRP here, then that's not the case.
    I was saying that Elite: Dangerous by itself, with its realism and vast world and other stuff, would make for great realism that can bring depth to the game with the help of a large community. I was comparing what we did as a community, take Starbound's procedurally generated world with lore, and turned it into the Antares frontier.

20. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

Ok, yep, misunderstood that entirely. I am stupid, but that is a good idea.