1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[Discussion] Guns, guns, and more guns.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc, Apr 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

So, as we've discussed in the chat many times, there's an issue here on Antares. That issue is that everyone around here is armed to the teeth. Every time any sort of situation starts, even if it's just an incredibly minor conflict, everyone draws guns and decides murder seems like a wonderful solution to the problem. I myself have no idea how to solve such problems, but maybe you all do, and this thread is more for posterity than anything else, so the discussion is saved in a permanent state instead of disappearing in the chat.

1 person likes this.
  2. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

No guns allowed. Anyone found with a gun will be shot.

1 person likes this.
  3. Doc

But if no guns are allowed how will people shoot the people with guns.

4. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Seriously though, no guns allowed is the solution. Bring back melee combat. *cqc*

1 person likes this.
  5. Doc

To be honest this is realistic. Colonies should treat themselves like public spaces in real life. They have the right to restrict or outright disallow firearms under threat of legal prosecution.

6. TrashHound

Yes yes thank you thank you. This is something that's bothered me for a very long time now. The fact that during literally every conflict, someone thinks the solution is guns. A good example being a scientist that did something which I will admit pretty stupid today, but not even a whole minute after the encounter, 3 people agreed that she needed to die. Now I know this cannot be stopped entirely, something can be done to decrease the amount of violence. One way could be to set up a stand, at which peoples weapons are confiscated while they visit a colony, and retrieve them before they leave.

7. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

It's the frontier. The US frontier was loaded with weapons, but I agree in public colonies if they want to they can restrict weaponry. Like Monolith is a good example.

8. Doc

Having guns isn't the problem, the problem is everyone is so ready to use them they murder people over minor conflicts.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I agree with the banning of firearms on colonies. All it would take is an NPC customs stall in the teleport rooms of colonies. The community's instinct to jump straight to murder with guns is tiring.

10. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Yes the murder is a problem, it should be life or death. Like the four men showing up with assault rifles and taking hostages. The robot thing seems a bit overkill with murder. Also not for the ban of weapons...

11. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Also I think people, should think like their character has a conscious.... I mean hell I had to kill a coyote, and I am sorry for it.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

of course you wouldn't be for the ban of weapons. your character is a gun merchant. ffs. there's always a way out of PVP if someone doesn't want to get shot over nothing. the four raiders taking over was a legitimate situation that could have been handled without violence, probably. but we know how that all went.

13. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I think if colonies started utilizing their right to ban guns, things could go very well without a need for the removal of all conflict. Set up a customs desk, have an NPC there to remind people to turn in their guns, and anyone that refuses gets labeled a criminal and arrested by an actual officer. That way, someone can still barge into a colony with their rifle slung over their shoulder, but they're gonna be arrested for it, and anyone that wants to be at the colony but not be a criminal can turn in their firearms and not have the option to shoot up everyone that insults them.

14. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

This is one of those things you can whine about endlessly but never fix, sadly. This thread will inevitably change nothing. Still, I agree with the points that many people offer here. Firearms as a first option of conflict resolution is cheap and overplayed to the max. Instead of having a long, intricate, and witty roleplay about talking down a villain, you just shoot them. Sounds boring, right? Besides, people hardly bother to educate themselves in firearms at all, just assuming it's all as easy as 'point and pull trigger people die'. I don't think i've ever seen a gun jam, misfire or have any other sort of issue. It really just all comes off as lazy RP. Of course, you're still fine to make characters linked to firearms, but you won't garner much respect or appreciation for said character if you don't bother educating yourself at least a little on firearms.

As for my first comment, the thread will really just be a whine-fest. I've been thinking about it, and I may just implement some form of weapon control onto Upside. Seeing as it's really the only used colony for some reason, it will basically be a firearm restriction on the whole server. That way, we're seeing some action instead of just talk. We'll see how it pans out first, as it might not happen at all.

15. TrashHound

Even if there's nothing you can actually do about it, at least bringing up the topic and showing that people really DO give a shit can help. Maybe reading this might actually make some players think, don't'cha think? My hopes are that even if nothing can be done about it, at least /some/ players might read this and go "Oh yeah, maybe shooting everyone I don't like isn't the best option."

16. Doc

Like, negativity doesn't solve anything maaaaaaaaaaan.

1 person likes this.
  17. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

Dammit I was expecting something else from this thread. I'm one of those plebs who always complains about being not knowing enough about guns, or even body armour.
    Though it's kind of fair to say now, people don't know enough about guns. There are still folks who call magazines "clips."

Edit: I'm being as earnest as I can here guys, if you want to learn anything about guns and you don't feel like watching hours and hours of videos, come to someone like myself or @CaptainBritton02
    guns are my passion

18. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I live in the UK and I know more about guns than half the Americans that play here. It isn't hard to research a little for authenticity.

19. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

guns... i spend far too much time on guns: PiratePad: ej1pVt3FUS

20. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Not even negativity, just realism. I'm gonna look at things very practically and tell it like how I see it. And how I see this thread, is that it's a complaint without any offered solution. Sure, discuss the issue, but the issue needs a solution as well. I think I offered a valid answer in the way of Upside gun control. So really, I do appreciate the fact that issues are being brought into the light here, but we're just whining about it unless we're actively working at a solution.