1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Crimeariver, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Pretty self explanatory based on the title I would think. I'm kind of surprised this thread didn't exist already considering that this game has been gaining serious popularity lately, particularly with the release of Dark Souls II looming on the horizon.

For those who don't know, Dark Souls is a fantasy RPG with real time combat and a notorious difficulty (often being used as a sort of baseline for difficult but fair games). The plot is rather complicated, but essentially you play as an undead who can never actually be killed, but will one day lose their humanity and go "hollow" (which is to say they go crazy). You travel to the land of Lordran to find some answers to your curse and whatnot. I seriously recommend checking it out if you enjoy medieval style RPGs with rich combat and a rewarding difficulty.

For those who do know about Dark Souls, I am currently working on a SL 1 playthrough (we'll see about NG+7 when and if we get there) and so far it's going pretty well (just got to blight town).

2. Sen

Sen Guest

awful game is awful

3. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Boooo!

In all seriousness though that's fair. It's definitely not a game for everyone. Just out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about it?

4. Sen

Sen Guest

it's not hard, it's just grindy, given that death, instead of forcing you to start from the start, just sets you back

and it's only noteworthy feature is this artificial difficulty

5. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Oh, don't even get me started on artificial difficulty.

Anyway though, I'm not going to get into an argument about a game I enjoy, that'll just ruin it for me. I respect your opinion.

6. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Dark Souls was enjoyable but it was in no way revolutionary or the Citizen Kane of gaming that people make it out to be. I played through it once and that was it. I spent way more time than I should have in that forest area killing ghosts.

7. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

oh my word don't get me started on dark souls bloody gargoyles holy crap.

(Whenever I consider not playing a game on the hardest difficulty, the next immediate thought is always,"Well. I played Dark Souls.")

8. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I over analyze the plot of that game to bits.
    Although, it has some interesting themes, especially the idea that you just kill people more slowly by sheltering them from the inevitable. (As seen in Siegmeyer's plot.)

9. Narfball

Narfball narfball

Dank souls imho is only good for the pvp community. Once you sift through the hackers and whatnot, you can find some legitimately good pvp'ers who don't rely on ganking with like 4-5 people up yer arse.

10. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Speaking of PvP, I figured that since the sequel is right around the corner, and I've always played respectfully, I may as well take this last month to be a bit of a dickwraith.

I made a lifehunt scythe build wearing the gold-hemmed set (basically it looks like the grim-reaper) and only leveled enough stats to use the scythe (ended up at level 24 I believe). Now I'm just invading noobs in the depths, making them panic as the grim reaper slowly walks towards them.

Sure it's pretty dickish, but like I said, sequel is right around the corner so nows the best time to let lose a little :)

11. Narfball

Narfball narfball

YOU GO GIRL!

12. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

That made me feel so sassy! :cool: