1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Creating custom weapon icons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jetniss, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

So I'm really interested in designing the images for the weapons I find, use, whatever.

I'm having a really hard time finding a guide on the internet to do it- an up to date guide anyways.
    I'm a good pixel artist and I'd like to tailor weapons to specific purposes, but in order to do that I need to know how to get those images into the game.

And before I know that, I need to know where I can get a hold of the images already used in game. I don't want to pixel a sword or a gun or whatever only to find that it isn't properly aligned, or it's too big, or whatever.

If anyone here is experienced with such creative ventures, please, impart some knowledge.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

First off, I'm going to throw this in here.
    Starcheating and Starbound Editing Tutorial
    Its a comprehensive guide that's mostly completed made by myself, Smokestack, and Angre. It may help some.

Second, to access the in game assets and sprites you need to unpack the assets file in your starbound directory. It's a .pak file, and how-to should be covered in that google doc.

Next, you need Starcheat to put any weapons you want to make in game. Do a quick google search if you don't have it, it's an easy download.

Once you get everything set up theres still the small matter of the latest update and what it did to the .JSON's, but that comes next...
    Most else that you may need to know is probably in that document. Any other questions, please feel free to add me on Steam, PM me here, reply, etc. I'd be glad to pass down my knowledge de la StarCheat.

3. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

Thanks so much!
    I have one quick question--
    Does whatever image I create and put in have to be packed if I intend to use it?

4. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

No, you shouldn't be adding or removing anything from the assets folder. Any drawable image you create will be converted to a code of pixels that the drawables tab in a starcheat item can use to create the item. Basically draw png, put into program, copy/paste program result into starcheat.

5. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

Ah, alright. So I'd only need to unpack to duplicate weapon assets so that I can know the dimensions and positioning. Good, good.
    Thanks a million!

6. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

No problem! Add me on Steam for quicker contact if you need in-depth help!