1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Cellar & The First Mission

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Jetniss, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

Alright so I'm in the midst of research, and I want to create something that can give random tasks to random people without feeling terribly random and out of place.

I haven't had much contact with others since I've returned, and I haven't been here since January-- but events where 20 strangers from across the galaxy with different motives, styles, and everything-- it was just too much. It's hard to make a themed event, with purpose, when you have to accommodate a random glitch warrior looking for a new kingdom, two rogue avians with high tech equipment and more knowledge of human technology than humans, and three random kill crazy florans with two novakids-- one of which seems like the next scifi Goku with edge-lord habits.

And I'm not complaining about the diversity-- don't get me wrong, I'm complaining that somehow all these wildly different personalities can arrive at a single location to a single incident and somehow work together-- and yet at no part during the event, do their desires align. It's more likely they would compete or even be at each other's throats.

So anyways-- I want to create a place where people can pick up missions, tasks, whatever-- like the local saloon handing out propositions. But in space. I just wanted to gauge the interest that the community has in such a thing, I'm probably going to make it either way, I just need some ideas to throw it together. Who should run it? I definitely don't want it to be human, but I also don't want their technology to be too... Uhhh... Alien? This station should look like your typical scifi station, so Floran and Glitch themes in terms of building is out-- Hyotl I'm not too keen on but they're a possibility.

Next, who should run it? Penguins? Are penguins even IC here? Are they shunned? Maybe Apex should run it-- don't see nearly enough Apex IMO.

With all that aside, is there anyone willing to help me build this location? Or maybe people willing to teach me some building techniques? Any tips and tricks? Someone to help me manage circuitry and all?

So the first mission I had in mind-- the Cosmic Cellar-- or whatever group that replaces them to doll out these "missions" to make events make more sense and more stream-lined (in terms of participants) will send a group to an abandoned station. The general purpose of this has yet to be decided (I've 3 goals that I'm deciding on, and I intend to speak more of later when the station is complete). It'll basically boil down to exploring some decrepit station that is low on power, has a number of mysterious threats, and will hopefully be beautiful aesthetically for a fun spin on your average RP scenarios.

I'm requesting builders for the project, to help get it completed faster (I'm actively working on it now), or teachers to help me make it the best it can be.

2. JohnShadow

JohnShadow "Now you're all alone, little Caroline."

Sounds pretty cool, maybe Apex could run it or something. . . Novas would be funny to run the space saloon but idk lol. Also, I will help build if I'm not doing RP stuff. That first mission idea also sounds interesting, it'll be fun to see how it goes. Glad to see you're still pumping out creative stuff, cool cool

3. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

I would ask staff about Penguins, because they were played at one point.

I don't have much else to suggest except good luck. I don't think this is an answer to any particular problem going on right now, but it definitely doesn't hurt any.

4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

scifi goku? Wha?

5. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

Some kind of heroic hugboxer.
    ... In space.

6. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

We don't allow Penguins anymore because they detract from RP. Even though they're like a subtle race addition in Starbound, they'd be played so uncommonly or played just for being penguins that their interactions are very superficial. Although that is not usually the case, interaction in RP are usually about them being a Penguin.

As for who would run it, the Council sounds viable. Being large and not wanting to risk their own citizens, they could hire Antarans for the dirty work since they're expendable. Sort of like hiring a suicide squad. A place for the undesirable missions in the fringe.

7. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

While I do like the idea of a council group similar to this, I'm not sure this would be the same.
    The theme I have in mind here is kind of like a galactic dive bar where people pick up off-book requests which range from good intentioned to down-right dirty.

Now that could include even anti-council activity. A private sector thing-- but another one run by council-- or perhaps council participation with it seems great. IMO--

((For the record I didn't really intend to make a list of characters dedicated to RP/running this place-- more of a loose forum presence and event-features for events I set up or others set up in the future;; and if I were to try and make a penguin or to have penguins run it forum-wise-- they wouldn't be "HEY LOOK IM A PENGUIN." I like to think myself a better writer than that.))

8. Krug

Krug New Member

Hit me with the coords

9. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

Hm. A divebar for anti-Council for the lawless and a organization for the Frontiersman wanting the law. Interesting.

Sounds like something worth writing about.

10. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

"You try'na collab' on this, you try'na collab' tho'?"

Soon @Krug
    Unless you're down to help me build the abandoned station I mentioned (It's what I'm working on now)

11. Krug

Krug New Member

I'm not sure how much help I'd be. More of an interior design guy, but if you lay out what you had in mind I'd be happy to help.

12. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

How's about two hours from now? I'll be up from a nap by then.

13. Krug

Krug New Member

boop

14. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

My nap got the best of me.

15. Krug

Krug New Member

Naps can hit even the best of us without warning.

16. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

I'm jumping on now.